Is anybody mad? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is anybody mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see: 1) We had a 5 game win streak. 2) One of our players was just voted CPOW. 3) Our bench scored 50+ points in a couple games. 4) Down 2 points at halftime.

I think a lot of people are pissed, namely starting with Red Autry.
Yea I know the score doesn't indicate it, but honestly I didn't think they laid an egg by any stretch. Thought they showed some heart when Duke was making everything, the team showed some fight. Hanging in there. I don't know. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age, but I didn't think it was a complete debacle.

Sobering thoughts: There was a period of time when we were elite but that time has passed (like it does for most schools). We unfortunately were not able to maintain our elite status due to a variety of factors (JB staying too long, moving to the ACC, loss of Mike Hopkins). Hopefully we can regain it again (like UConn) but there are no guarantees. I feel like we're facing an uphill battle for a variety of reasons. The bottom line is that if we can't recruit top talent (more than one player), there is no chance to be elite again. I honestly don't know. I would have never expected us to drop this far so fast. We're a middle of the road team and that's hard to accept given our past glories. But, as they say, hope springs eternal.

Is anybody mad?​

it is distressing . another blowout on the big stage. hopefully most of the east coast was asleep and west coast probably flipped channels. people forget the boost BIG MONDAY games gave this program .

Last edited:
If we were dominated by a school (it’s by two schools now) over and over and over this fanbase would be livid, it’s like we’ve gotten used to this and there is no passion or am I seeing this differently?

Maybe life changes but I don’t think I’ve been really upset by a game in years, are we conditioned to this now?
This only happened the last 6 years of the Boeheim era. And we've won some big games against both Duke and Virginia in the ACC, prior to the past 3-4 years when we really fell off. This is a transition year, with a new coach, so I can't blame Red. Hopefully a new leaf will be getting turned on how we play against these programs in future years. I think the way Red wants to play could work much better against UVA than the way JB often played with our slower, less athletic teams.

My biggest fear with an internal hire was a continuation of the previous HC's style of play. I'm very happy Red has forged his own way on defense and it shows. The offense ... eh. jury is still out, but there have been improvements. It can still be real ugly ISO ball with no fall back plan to get players open looks. The roster is incomplete and a couple of key positions had to be band-aided and while they have been not good, I don't pin too much on the staff for those. I have no idea what our budget was and how short we were, but Hunter Dickinson would have been a real nice addition to this team.

I need to see some serious changes on the roster to be optimistic about beating top-20 teams next season and changing the decade-long SU basketball narrative.

Our four losses this season have been by 17, 19, 22, and 20 points. Need to do a lot better than that to even sniff the bubble this season.
the narrative is aleady changing. Just listen to the way the commentators and analysts talk about the team now. They think Red's style is a breath of fresh air and a return to the fast-breaking Cuse teams of old, and that fast style will translate to big recruiting wins in the coming years. Plus, we can still win some key games this season and knock off some teams. Winning at Duke is hard, even when you have great talent.

the narrative is aleady changing. Just listen to the way the commentators and analysts talk about the team now. They think Red's style is a breath of fresh air and a return to the fast-breaking Cuse teams of old, and that fast style will translate to big recruiting wins in the coming years. Plus, we can still win some key games this season and knock off some teams. Winning at Duke is hard, even when you have great talent.
Even bigger than that to me is other ACC fans. You saw that one post on the Pitt board. They were comfortable vs the zone. It didnt bother them at all.

He already had a year and chose not to trim the fat. I don’t understand why he gets a pass for this year. Y’all acting like JB was fired in December and Red was just promoted from interim status.
Red was a first-time head coach. He wasn't going to be able to attract the very best transfers out of the portal. So he focused on previous guys that we recruited and that he had a prior relationship with. Starling (a McDonald's AA) was the big get. But also Chance Westry (a top 50 recruit) and Kyle Cuffe. Losing Jesse really hurt our ceiling this year. I think potential transfers like what Red is selling but he needs a year or two under his belt to really show what his vision is, and it's now coming into focus. I think it made sense last spring to build off that 2022 recruiting class that Red helped bring into the program, and then we can reevaluate at the end of this season. I feel like one or two of Taylor, Bell and perhaps Benny will exit (and probably Peter Carey), and Red will be able to bring in a couple of high-level transfers. I like the core that he's got to build around for the future—with Starling, Copeland, Chance, Maliq Brown and maybe even Benny.

Last edited:
Last year's instant turnaround darling Jerome Tang isn't doing very well this year, just a couple good wins, three losses to bubble-type teams and needing OT to get past two schedule filler patsies.

He also called out the fans for what he thought was poor support and there are rumors of him clashing with Kansas State's administration over their decision to boot one of his best players after he was arrested for disorderly conduct. Nothing is guaranteed and I don't know what you were watching if you thought that JB welcomed input from his assistants at any point in the last 10 years.
That's a great point. In Tang's defense, KSU is a really hard place to recruit to. That's the advantage that Syracuse has in being able to return to national prominence. Dumb commentators try to mock Syracuse for the cold and snow, but it's only a 4-5-hour drive from NYC, NJ, Boston, Philly and DC, some of the best basketball recruiting areas in the country. Strong recruiting in those areas is how we succeeded for so long. KSU is in a small farm town in the middle of nowhere. It should be a lot easier to recruit to Syracuse than a lot of these Big 12 and Big 10 towns, but the old guy wasn't putting in the work needed to land the best players after Hop left, not to mention playing 100 percent zone really hurt us on the recruiting trail.

If we were dominated by a school (it’s by two schools now) over and over and over this fanbase would be livid, it’s like we’ve gotten used to this and there is no passion or am I seeing this differently?

Maybe life changes but I don’t think I’ve been really upset by a game in years, are we conditioned to this now?
Dont get mad, they are better than we are, end of story. We have a new coach, a new style and we are playing with many of our guys recruited to plaY a different style,

Dont get mad, they are better than we are, end of story. We have a new coach, a new style and we are playing with many of our guys recruited to plaY a different style,
3 starters will be playing less and less as the season goes on. Bell and Taylor are strictly shooters who can't shoot at this level. And our center is not fit to play man defense, and a fast paced game.

Im just talking about in general, the board meltdowns are few and far between these days.

I'm still trying to come to grips with us being in the ACC ?????
1704328706517.jpeg

Let's see: 1) We had a 5 game win streak. 2) One of our players was just voted CPOW. 3) Our bench scored 50+ points in a couple games. 4) Down 2 points at halftime.

I think a lot of people are pissed, namely starting with Red Autry.
Down 2 points at halftime is not an accomplishment. It’s 100% meaningless . What was the final score ?

As a sanctions truther, legitimately and unquestionably, 4 years were slammed by the sanctions, which triggered a lot of what happened after, namely recruiting.

But a point did come when we should have clawed back from them, but didn’t.

I completely disagree and never have thought as much. The sanctions were debated here ad nauseam at the time and along the fall from grace. I doubt anyone cares to revisit that topic now, as it’s long moot, and folks either way, will believe want they want/choose to believe.

FWIW, I agreed with Bilas at the time that losing 3 schollies (what it was reduced to) would not be much of an impact, certainly not detrimental as JB only generally played 6-7 guys consistently, mostly 7 when someone was in foul trouble, etc.

In my view, the proximate cause of the recruiting woes had much more and overwhelmingly due to the plethora of and consistent misses on the trail for our top guys, and had to routinely settle often on plan B, C and D types, especially at the most crucial PG position, as well as the 5 spot. Furthermore, during that time, we still had open scholarships that went unfilled, that encompassed the horrible roster management.

I completely disagree and never have thought as much. The sanctions were debated here ad nauseam at the time and along the fall from grace. I doubt anyone cares to revisit that topic now, as it’s long moot, and folks either way, will believe want they want/choose to believe.

FWIW, I agreed with Bilas at the time that losing 3 schollies (what it was reduced to) would not be much of an impact, certainly not detrimental as JB only generally played 6-7 guys consistently, mostly 7 when someone was in foul trouble, etc.

In my view, the proximate cause of the recruiting woes had much more and overwhelmingly due to the plethora of and consistent misses on the trail for our top guys, and had to routinely settle often on plan B, C and D types, especially at the most crucial PG position, as well as the 5 spot. Furthermore, during that time, we still had open scholarships that went unfilled, that encompassed the horrible roster management.

Edit: Forget it. I’m not doing this here.

Last edited:

Nope.

New beginnings and we’re growing into ourselves at a nice pace. The next time we play them, I expect to build on this and look better.

Maybe other fans see this as a continuation of years past and apply their own angst and dissatisfaction from JB onto Red. I try very hard to not.

Am I mad?

Meaning

1. "arising from, indicative of, or marked by mental disorder." I do not think so, but those that know I read this board might disagree because, of course, I read this board and the rants of some who are no doubt mad.

2a. "completely unrestrained by reason and judgment : unable to think in a clear or sensible way
driven mad by the pain." I think not, but some who post here, especially those that I block and some that I should, are certainly mad.

2b. "incapable of being explained or accounted for." That does appear to explain some posters on this board but I do not think I qualify

3. "informal: intensely angry or displeased" About SU bball? No. It is basketball.

Disappointed? Yes. Missing the good old days? Yes. Was I ready to walk away if a coaching change was not made? Yes. Hoping the team is better and soon? Yes. Hoping the portal become the team's friend? Yes.

If, whoever you are, it is not your passion or you are not having fun, take a break or walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom