Is anybody mad? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is anybody mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were dominated by a school (it’s by two schools now) over and over and over this fanbase would be livid, it’s like we’ve gotten used to this and there is no passion or am I seeing this differently?

Maybe life changes but I don’t think I’ve been really upset by a game in years, are we conditioned to this now?

You know, I'm really getting tired of people - not just you - being so damn impatient as change has begun. We had a coach who over-stayed his welcome by about 5 years, so he could coach his kids, and he took a legendary program and drove it into a ditch, and STILL didn't really want to leave at the end until they forced him out.

Now, we are half a season into a somewhat new coaching staff (3 of 4 who were previously assistants to JB, and 2 of whom remain assistants to Autry). He has changed us from zone to man-to-man, he has tried to retrain a team to play a whole new style. It's taken half a year, but we are beginning to see it, what he has in mind. It's a return to the late 80s / early 90s Syracuse style.

We lost 10 or more games for, what, 7 years in a row? Where was all this impatience with Boeheim, when he refused to play quality players AT ALL so his kids could play 36 minutes a game?

It takes time. I've seen teams turn over the roster when a new coach comes many times, in many sports. This one has gone smoother than most, so far. Be happy about that. See the big picture, and stop complaining about every goddamn time a player makes a mistake. They're kids. It's a sport. It's for our entertainment

Some of you have to always be right on the Internet to prove whatever the hell it is you have to prove to yourself. Some of us are supportive, hope for the best, try to see the progress, and understand that it's a journey. So is life. Get some perspective and stop indulging your childish anger and self-pity. Our team will be fine in no time.

Not mad. I don’t even take the time to watch the games anymore, unless I have absolutely nothing else to do. I’ve deleted every game that I’ve recorded without watching a minute. Doubt I’ll ever be ravenous for the team like I once was. Getting old, busy, and not letting my happiness be defined by a bunch of kids not related to me.
I feel guilty almost, I do watch every game but damnit it’s not the same.

Of course we can. Take a look at what is going on with football and the recruiting that has suddenly happened. And that is a much tougher hill for us to climb.

You only need a couple great recruits to turn a basketball team from average to a contender. In football, you need about 30.

You know, I'm really getting tired of people - not just you - being so damn impatient as change has begun. We had a coach who over-stayed his welcome by about 5 years, so he could coach his kids, and he took a legendary program and drove it into a ditch, and STILL didn't really want to leave at the end until they forced him out.

Now, we are half a season into a somewhat new coaching staff (3 of 4 who were previously assistants to JB, and 2 of whom remain assistants to Autry). He has changed us from zone to man-to-man, he has tried to retrain a team to play a whole new style. It's taken half a year, but we are beginning to see it, what he has in mind. It's a return to the late 80s / early 90s Syracuse style.

We lost 10 or more games for, what, 7 years in a row? Where was all this impatience with Boeheim, when he refused to play quality players AT ALL so his kids could play 36 minutes a game?

It takes time. I've seen teams turn over the roster when a new coach comes many times, in many sports. This one has gone smoother than most, so far. Be happy about that. See the big picture, and stop complaining about every goddamn time a player makes a mistake. They're kids. It's a sport. It's for our entertainment

Some of you have to always be right on the Internet to prove whatever the hell it is you have to prove to yourself. Some of us are supportive, hope for the best, try to see the progress, and understand that it's a journey. So is life. Get some perspective and stop indulging your childish anger and self-pity. Our team will be fine in no time.
The problem is, I don’t think that’s it. I love Red, wanted Red, I think he’s doing a great job. It may be the college landscape as well. Seeing some of our guys riding around in super cars while they have the same exact deficiencies as they did last year may have pushed me over the edge.

I wasn’t asking this because I was mad, I was wondering the temperature of everyone else. I almost wish I was mad though.

We had a coach who over-stayed his welcome by about 5 years, so he could coach his kids, and he took a legendary program and drove it into a ditch, and STILL didn't really want to leave at the end until they forced him out.

Or was it that move to the ACC??

I think if Westry was healthy he'd be getting a lot of minutes at forward.
The one thing that hurts us the most is a lack of outside shooting, sure we had great outside shooters in Buddy and Joe for the past five years but now we have an athletic group that needs to find a great jump shooter,

Exactly. Which makes the last 10 years extra maddening. There's no excuse for a program like Syracuse to be an also ran in today's day and age.
Yes.
Where was all this impatience with Boeheim, when he refused to play quality players AT ALL so his kids could play 36 minutes a game?
There was a lot of impatience with JAB. There were also a lot of people defending and/or excusing his results as not his fault/responsibility. Syracuse needed a reset after the sanctions. Instead we got a lost decade as a mid-major.

If we were dominated by a school (it’s by two schools now) over and over and over this fanbase would be livid, it’s like we’ve gotten used to this and there is no passion or am I seeing this differently?

Maybe life changes but I don’t think I’ve been really upset by a game in years, are we conditioned to this now?
I haven't lost my vinegar about this stuff yet.

Its exceedingly upsetting and frustrating.

Have to remind myself to focus on other things in life. Depending on SU for too much of your happiness is not healthy.

Especially frustrating with how UConn Bb has fared over the same time frames, 5 NCs or whatever they have done. They hired a great coach (although he seems like a bit of a doink to me), and bring in the right talent, and play a great brand of basketball. They play like a Gonzaga brand with Kansas level players.

Our program slipped so far after that 2nd golden age in 2012 or whatever it was. Had that blip with the other final 4, but really were never in control in that game.

I love Judah as a competitor. I wish he had a better gaggle around him.

Dudes are missing wide open shots at a ridiculous clip, and don't have enough talent to create good shots for themselves.

Miami is excelling under a great coach. Other teams as well.

Its all about the coaching hire, and then the recruiting.

Its really frustrating.

What new coach is doing better than Red this year that you would prefer?
Chris Beard? Better record.
Grant McCasland? Better record.
Rodney Terry? Better record.
Kim English? Better record.
Rick Pitino? Same number of losses, but much, much more competitive games.
  • 13-0 - Chris Beard - Ole Miss Rebels
  • 11-2 - Grant McCasland - Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • 11-2 - Rodney Terry - Texas
  • 11-3 - Kim English - Providence
  • 10-4 - Rick Pitino - St Johns
  • 10-4 - Adrian Autry - Syracuse Orange
  • 8-5 - Damon Stoudamire - Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  • 8-6 - Paul Mills - Wichita State
  • 8-6 - Ryan Odom - VCU
  • 7-7 - Mike Rhoades - Penn State Nittany Lions
  • 7-7 - Adam Fisher - Temple
  • 7-7 - Ed Cooley - Georgetown
  • 6-8 - Micah Shrewsberry - Notre Dame Fighting Irish
  • 5-8 - Josh Eilert - West Virginia Mountaineers
  • 6-9 - Jack Castleberry - FDU
  • 4-10 - Mark Madsen - California Golden Bears

• 8-6 - Ryan Odom - VCU
I think that's a simplistic response.

Chris Beard with his baggage was never coming here. Nobody was talking about the other guys you mentioned besides Pitino and 1 of his losses is to a team that is absolutely horrible in Michigan. Outside of UConn they have played a much weaker schedule.

Ole Miss schedule so far:

Texas Tech:

Texas:

Three of our four losses were top 25 programs, UVa on the road and they're still sitting at 10-3.

I think that's a simplistic response.

Chris Beard with his baggage was never coming here. Nobody was talking about the other guys you mentioned besides Pitino and 1 of his losses is to a team that is absolutely horrible in Michigan. Outside of UConn they have played a much weaker schedule.
Were you expecting a complex response? I gotta get back to work & don't have time to write like Tolstoy.

Someone asked a (even more simplistic) question and you want a Shakespearian response?

Those are some numbers. Do with them what you will.

Red has a couple years.

Kiyan is not an answer and I don't understand why he is ranked so high. Freeman looks pretty good.

Things can shift during the off season, with portal adds. Lets hope they do.

He brought in Naheem and kept players that shouldn't be playing. Naheem cannot even hold the ball above his head, and numerous guys cannot shoot. 4 absolute blowouts. We should have added that left guard from St John Fisher that is all over the internet for his scoring ability.

Straight Fire Post!!

Were you expecting a complex response? I gotta get back to work & don't have time to write like Tolstoy.

Someone asked a (even more simplistic) question and you want a Shakespearian response?

Those are some numbers. Do with them what you will.

Red has a couple years.

Kiyan is not an answer and I don't understand why he is ranked so high. Freeman looks pretty good.

Things can shift during the off season, with portal adds. Lets hope they do.

He brought in Naheem and kept players that shouldn't be playing. Naheem cannot even hold the ball above his head, and numerous guys cannot shoot. 4 absolute blowouts. We should have added that left guard from St John Fisher that is all over the internet for his scoring ability.
Kiyan Anthony isn't signed and is still 2 years away. He averaged 18 per game in the EYBL 16u league, but ok.

The board was cooing over Ed Cooley and Pitino in the offseason. They've been the same or worse.

We also blew out Oregon who turns out is better than most expected.

Last edited:
How do you expect anything different? Duke recruits at an elite level. They are recruiting over everyone. I’m not sure if anyone on SU would start at Duke, including Mintz. The talent level is night and day different. Do you think If Red coached Duke’s roster he would lose to SU? I don’t think so. Red needs at least two or three recruiting classes to change the dynamics at SU.
Yes the road blowouts have been frustrating... Young team struggle on road with adversity... Gotta learn... But we have lost to the Net 6, 20, 29, and 56 teams.. Duke lost to 128 Ga Tech and 86 Arkansas.. They have losses they should not have taken.. We have bad scores but no bad losses and we were competitive in TN and Duke losses .. So it is there

• 8-6 - Ryan Odom - VCU

What's Jimmy Boeheim doing..... we could keep it in the family...and it's not like James Arthur had a lot of prior experience when he was brought on board.

What are you mad about ?

I think the frustration will be for at least two more seasons as we need an influx of talent. We need better players and better balance on the roster. Red will determine his future on the recruiting trail. It’s not all about the portal either as that’s not a panacea (some will cherry pick examples of complete portal roster makeovers, but those are the exceptions, not the rule). The cupboard is fairly empty. We haven’t had a high major conference winning roster in quite some time. It’s going to take a while. In the meantime, as a proud program, it still doesn’t feel good getting punked by half the league on a regular basis. Hopefully, Red can stop some of the bleeding against the lower two thirds of the conference.

The entire team are sophomores. They will mature. Red needs to be the bad dad to them and get into their butts. The BC game will be a huge test of where this team is and where it is going.

Yes.
  1. We're 4-14 against Duke in 10 years we've been in the ACC and the average point differential has been -10.
That's actually better than I thought. I guess that's telling in itself.

How do you expect anything different? Duke recruits at an elite level. They are recruiting over everyone. I’m not sure if anyone on SU would start at Duke, including Mintz. The talent level is night and day different. Do you think If Red coached Duke’s roster he would lose to SU? I don’t think so. Red needs at least two or three recruiting classes to change the dynamics at SU.
I'm in agreement, but I think what ticks me off (and this is true on the football side as well) is that you see other teams who have a similar or worse record give them a much more competitive game, or even beat them - Arkansas and GTech for basketball. Yet, when we play them, we end up looking vastly inferior.

The entire team are sophomores. They will mature. Red needs to be the bad dad to them and get into their butts. The BC game will be a huge test of where this team is and where it is going.
AMEN !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors