Is Battle going to play Monday? Let's speculate | Syracusefan.com

Is Battle going to play Monday? Let's speculate

iommi

Living Legend
No one knows anything, so let's use this thread for worthless speculation. This is such a pivotal game to boost our resume.

Are you guys optimistic Tyus plays? Backs are so dicey, so I don't know what to think.

Whether he plays or not, I am not optimistic that he will be close to 100%. He went down very hard, was in obvious pain, and could barely move out there when he tried to play through it. 4 days is not a long time for something like that.

Whether he plays or not, I am not optimistic that he will be close to 100%. He went down very hard, was in obvious pain, and could barely move out there when he tried to play through it. 4 days is not a long time for something like that.

Pretty much agree. I think he does play but won't be close to 100%. Between the flu, his foot and now this, he just can't seem to catch any luck with his health so hopefully this gets better quicker than I expect. To state the obvious, we're screwed without him.

I think (and hope) he'll be okay. It looked like a bone bruise so he just needs to wait for the swelling to go down (2-3 days?) and then should be back to normal. I would be more worried if he got twisted up.

I still hate the play where the offensive player makes a good fake, gets his guy in the air and then move into/under the dude. This is different than what Harden and others do with sweeping their arms into the defender. This guy moved his whole body so Tyus had no safe place to fall. Bang bang play, I know. They change the rule so the defender has to allow the shooter to land. What about the defender?

Being Iommi said this is speculation, I figured I want to speak positively, but it's hard to say without knowing the nature of the injury. Thoughts and prayers are certainly with the young man.

What would be interesting to me is if there is clear middle ground that leaves JB room for decision, how conservative he'd be with Kansas looming 5 days later.

Being Iommi said this is speculation, I figured I want to speak positively, but it's hard to say without knowing the nature of the injury. Thoughts and prayers are certainly with the young man.

What would be interesting to me is if there is clear middle ground that leaves JB room for decision, how conservative he'd be with Kansas looming 5 days later.
First to the OP, I definitely think Battle is playing. A bone bruise doesn't keep people out. Hope he knows how to play through pain.

As to your question CaptJ, I think JB wants Battle now. The MD game (and UConn, and GTown) position us within the bubble teams. If we do what NcState did - take down AZ but lose to lesser programs it makes it more difficult to rate the team (similar to last years inconsistent team).
You don't want to be underhanded to MD, to increase the chances of pulling off an upset vs KS.

JB always plays to win.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Here's what I foresee: Tyus will be watched closely in warmups to see how he's moving. The staff will ask him how he's doing but of course he is likely to say he's okay. Thus it will come down to the eye test. Since JB isn't out there until a few minutes until tip, he will rely on the trainers and the staff.

If Tyus starts, he will get a few minutes to see how he's moving. Regardless, I expect a lot of time for Thorpe, whose ankle should be okay by now. He needs to step up. If Tyus doesn't play, we can't just play two guards. Hmm. I'll stop there, except to say that Tyus does tend to get hurt, so maybe getting another guard ready (as I've been pining for) would've been ideal.

He probably suffered a muscle pull...had one in my 20s. Was back at 100 percent in a week. I suspect he'll be limited.

thinking he starts. have to see how his mobility is limited if at all.

I think we would of heard already if it was significant enough to warrant him not playing for a significant amount of time

I think he will play and start. How many minutes is up in the air. All depends on how he moves and can deal with some minor pain. My target is 25 minutes.

I was a little surprised Waters didn't have any more of an update in his story this morning. I know there is limited space to watch practices in the Melo Center but I was hoping media was still allowed to watch a few minutes and at least tell us if he was practicing.

the "mystery of the injury thing" is over rated in my book. teams are prepared to play us.

I was a little surprised Waters didn't have any more of an update in his story this morning. I know there is limited space to watch practices in the Melo Center but I was hoping media was still allowed to watch a few minutes and at least tell us if he was practicing.
They aren't