Is BC an inspiration or a cautionary tale? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is BC an inspiration or a cautionary tale?

At no point have I said it's a bad move. Just regrettable in that it's too bad no one has the foresight to work with ND and PSU and others to form a truly northeast football conference that could actually drive some revenue while retaining the better part of the basketball conference. I realize this wasn't going to happen today, but it's still a much better scenario for SU than leaving the only identity it has (founding member of the BE) for a conference no one cares about. It had to be done, it will likely be fine, but I think people overreact the same way since SU accepted (in a positive way) as they would have if the cuse was snubbed and/or declined the invite (obviously a world is ending reaction).
Why would you even mention ND in relation to a northeast football conference? They have been in the BE (ex. FB) for more than 15 years. They had plenty of time to move their football program if they had any interest in doing so. In fact, when the BE was close to extinction in 2003, the Irish had no interest in shoring up the football league. If they were willing to let the league implode, why would they ever be interested in competing in it?

Why would you even mention ND in relation to a northeast football conference? They have been in the BE (ex. FB) for more than 15 years. They had plenty of time to move their football program if they had any interest in doing so. In fact, when the BE was close to extinction in 2003, the Irish had no interest in shoring up the football league. If they were willing to let the league implode, why would they ever be interested in competing in it?

ND wanted no part of any conference in '03. They also wanted no part of the Big East as currently comprised. I also don't know that they have any interest in a big east with PSU. I just also know they don't want anything to do with the ACC unless they feel they absolutely have to join. But make no mistake about it -- ND cares more about it's identity and profile in NYC and LA then in Big Ten cities like columbus or madison, etc. IF they join a conference, it will be one with strong connections to at least one of the biggest markets (NYC/LA).

Syracuse is still Syracuse... The ACC will help them get some more money to improve facilities, but the Syracuse brand transcends conference affiliations, especially in basketball right now.

Any top recruit will still want to play for Syracuse, AND they get the advantage of facing two of the Nation's top programs in history every season. They could never have that in the Big East...

UNC & DUKE get more media attention than any single Big East team, so playing them will bring attention to their foes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom