Is Cooney the best... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is Cooney the best...

Cooney said this week that we can't let the season get away from us. You got the feeling that Cooney just wasn't going to just sit back and lose the game. He played today like a leader that said, "screw it," I'm going to the hoop. It was good to see him create off the dribble.

The other plus was the huge bump up in play from Roberson. Much more aggressive and he has a great second jump. That's a skill that many players do not have. I don't care what game you're playing. 17 rebounds is a lot of rebounds.

Joseph scares me every time he passes the ball. He drives me crazy the number of times he picks up his dribble and he puts the ball down without even looking if the defense is around him. He spins into double teams and every pass is telegraphed. I really noticed today that he has a hard time going to his left. He has a hard time figuring out when to attack and when not to. Some of his decision making today was unreal. On way play he had two turnovers and an assist. The refs were mesmerized and didn't make a call. I hope he can get better.

Hey Dash...I disagree. In general, the offense has to run through Cooney or we have zero chance to make the NCAA. Contrary to many of the idiots on here...Cooney is our most offensive important player.

Most offensive? Cooney insult yo mama?

Idiots? Why is it that some posters have to revert to name calling if others have a difference of opinion?

He may have slightly misspoke. But if any poster on here (and there are tons who think cooney shouldnt be playing) thinks Cooney is not 1 of the most important players on this team, is an all around basketball player, can handle the rock, and can score 2 pt or 3 pt baskets - then yes - they are clearly idiots. and hate cooney for some stupid reason. i wont make assumptions.

I do disagree with the opinions of the announcers that Joseph shouldn't have driven on that late play. He very nearly drew a 5th foul on their center,

I was taking care of baby, so i may have misheard a bit... but i was surprised that the tv announcers were commending Kjoe on the drive. They said he took it hard to the rim but did mention that he moronically went up with the right (nullifying any possibly foul on the center).

Was it the radio guys who said he shouldnt have driven? or did i miss the tv announcers say something after?

Cooney said this week that we can't let the season get away from us. You got the feeling that Cooney just wasn't going to just sit back and lose the game. He played today like a leader that said, "screw it," I'm going to the hoop. It was good to see him create off the dribble.

He should have thought of that earlier - we could have used that win against St. Johns!!!! :)

Doubt the 6 NBA scouts there today were impressed.

Loads of talent, but oh so soft.
I don't think it's a matter of being soft, I think it's a matter of just being physically weak. There's a difference. You can play your ass off and work for rebounds and try to explode to the hoop, but if you don't have the physical strength, you're often going to look soft simply because you don't have the necessary physical abilities.

Not gonna lie, Cooney reminded me of McNamara out there today. Id like to see him become a co-ball handler with Joseph/G.
This is a really weird comparison to make, but Cooney reminded me of someone else, from a different sport. When Cooney brings the ball up the floor, there's no flash, he doesn't try to get side to side on people, he just focuses on a straight line and tries to get to that position and make something happen.

This might seem like a bizarre connection and weird stretch, but I couldn't help but think of Max Suter returning kickoffs for us back in the day. Not a "pure" kick returner, no dazzle to the way he did it, but he was effective because he just sprinted straight ahead and put his head down, trying to beat the defenders to a spot.

He's the only person on the team capable of dribbling through pressure.

I think Silent G is pretty good driving to the hoop. I think KJ2 would have had a better game if Silent G gave him some rest minutes.

My point is simply that many posters are too quick to criticize Trevor about all the things I mentioned. Yes, he's been inconsistent with his shooting but the other parts of his game have been underappreciated.

I agree, but I also side with JB's comment that today he was a player, not just a shooter. He's a fierce competitor and today he answered the bell. He's not just our token white guy. Trevor can hoop and I hope to see more offense move through him.

I think Silent G is pretty good driving to the hoop. I think KJ2 would have had a better game if Silent G gave him some rest minutes.
Wouldn't have helped stop him from picking up his dribble for no reason or dribbling into 2 and 3 man traps. But as I said before, he's just learning to play PG. He never had to do that on any regular basis before this year.

I agree, but I also side with JB's comment that today he was a player, not just a shooter. He's a fierce competitor and today he answered the bell. He's not just our token white guy. Trevor can hoop and I hope to see more offense move through him.
I couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't have helped stop him from picking up his dribble for no reason or dribbling into 2 and 3 man traps. But as I said before, he's just learning to play PG. He never had to do that on any regular basis before this year.

When they showed a close up of TC talking to KJ2, KJ2 looked winded to me. I think being gassed was why he was making so many mistakes. But today's effort will help his physical conditioning for future games. I think he know's how to play point guard. I think it's more freshmen jitters combined with the speed of division I play. I am actually happy with what KJ2 has been doing and I think he's going to continue to improve as the year rolls on.

Not gonna lie, Cooney reminded me of McNamara out there today. Id like to see him become a co-ball handler with Joseph/G.

I was actually thinking he reminded me a little bit of Devendorf tonight, said that to my friend during the game.

When they showed a close up of TC talking to KJ2, KJ2 looked winded to me. I think being gassed was why he was making so many mistakes. But today's effort will help his physical conditioning for future games. I think he know's how to play point guard. I think it's more freshmen jitters combined with the speed of division I play. I am actually happy with what KJ2 has been doing and I think he's going to continue to improve as the year rolls on.
He is only learning how to play PG. JB will tell you the same thing. He's going to improve, but he's got a long way to go.

Idiots? Why is it that some posters have to revert to name calling if others have a difference of opinion?
Have you read this board lately? I didn't call anyone out (yet), just making a point.

Have you read this board lately? I didn't call anyone out (yet), just making a point.

(This isn't directed at you as much as to folks in general).

I'm giving the recently en vogue "like with an asterisk", akin to Barry Bonds' home run record. I respect the not calling anyone out personally, but Longtime(I am not assuming the poster is Vietnamese) has a valid point as well. Maybe you both could settle on a different way of expressing it that might be less offensive? I'm trying to do my part to help smooth out the rough edges here to make up for past transgressions, as I really don't see anyone else filling that roll currently. On that note, I'm not calling out the mods because they are giving us the loose ship we asked for and mostly appreciate. It's up to us to figure out what is or isn't outside the boundaries of acceptability and find a way to get along. D*mmit, I need a beverage. I'm going to watch Breaking Bad for awhile. You bunch of freaks, I hope you have fun.

I was taking care of baby, so i may have misheard a bit... but i was surprised that the tv announcers were commending Kjoe on the drive. They said he took it hard to the rim but did mention that he moronically went up with the right (nullifying any possibly foul on the center).

Was it the radio guys who said he shouldnt have driven? or did i miss the tv announcers say something after?

I don't know about the radio announcers, but it just seemed the tv guys made an obvious hindsight observation after Joseph's flub, instead of acknowledging that it was an opportunity that simply got blown. Maybe Joseph makes that one next year, or by this March.

I was really impressed and pleasantly surprised by Cooneys handle today, I really think that he and MG are the best backcourt with Roberson, Christmas and MC up front. It is hard to figure if JB is really trying to develop KJ. With no true point guard in next years class part of me thinks JB feels he has to let KJ take his lumps as next year will be in the same spot. I can see when we get into crunch time in the ACC that Cooney and MG will share PG duties.

When they showed a close up of TC talking to KJ2, KJ2 looked winded to me. I think being gassed was why he was making so many mistakes.

I just don't think it's that simple. Did that contribute to some of his poor play, probably. However, he commits those turnovers early in the game as well (and early in the 2nd half when rested). Don't get me wrong, I really like Joseph but his decision making and mechanics are the main culprit for the turnovers, not simply being played too much.

Hey Dash...I disagree. In general, the offense has to run through Cooney or we have zero chance to make the NCAA. Contrary to many of the idiots on here...Cooney is our most offensive important player.

this is one of the reasons Cooney gets bashed by rational, reasonable, knowledgable fans. Crazy posts like this. Its not even bashing really, just get so tiring to read post after post of people who must not know the game and just choose to bow at the feet of SU players even if criticism is warranted.. Rak is by the largest margin of any team we have ever had the most important offensive player on our team. This is not even remotely close.

Sorry u dont see this man. Trevor can not create a shot, and without double teams to Rak to open up space, he wouldnt get more than 2 or 3 shots off a game. Probably forces that barely draw iron.

this is one of the reasons Cooney gets bashed by rational, reasonable, knowledgable fans. Crazy posts like this. Its not even bashing really, just get so tiring to read post after post of people who must not know the game and just choose to bow at the feet of SU players even if criticism is warranted.. Rak is by the largest margin of any team we have ever had the most important offensive player on our team. This is not even remotely close.

Sorry u dont see this man. Trevor can not create a shot, and without double teams to Rak to open up space, he wouldnt get more than 2 or 3 shots off a game. Probably forces that barely draw iron.

Actually, he created lots of shots yesterday off of the bounce. Anybody who is "rational, reasonable, and knowledgable" would see / acknowledge that--even if it doesn't suit their agenda / vendetta. ; )

He needs to continue to drive to avoid being one-dimensional. Hope we see continued utilization of this aspect of his game.

What is more rational? Bashing Cooney non-stop? Or saying he is a good 4 yr player here?

He isnt going to be an all pro. But he is going to leave here with 1500 points and have opportunities to play professional basketball.

The bashers are delusional. And wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom