Is Duke that good or was it the game of their season | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is Duke that good or was it the game of their season

Eh...K does the same thing you’re criticizing JB for. So does Tony Bennett. They play their best players all of the game if necessary, to win the game, same as JB.

I’d say Buddy is very integral to our success, wouldn’t you?

Of course I would say that - you're missing the point entirely. I've said multiple times we've need a player like Buddy, and Buddy now, for years and years. Buddy is phenomenal and coming along much better than expected.

Of course coaches will do it "if necessary." If it is necessary, I truly hope they do do it - it kinda seems like common sense.

Why do you keep throwing out individual coaches? Do you want me to go research this stuff just to be mean? I'm talking about my opinion on Syracuse. I could care less about UVA or Duke.

Fine, last year:
GUY: 35 MPG in conference (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Hunter: 33 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Jerome: 32 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
8 players over 10 MPG in conference (some likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")

Probably undefeated if they always just played their best players 40 MPG. Stupid, Bennett.

This year:
Clark: 39 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Key: 36 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Diakite: 32 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
7 players at/over 20 MPG in conference (some likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")

You've concluded Buddy is the bestest SG in all situations, and therefore should always play 40 minutes (I assume with the exceptions of blowouts). Everyone should be getting 40 minutes if they're "the best" at their position if you're playing to win, I get it.

I think there is more nuance to the debate, that's all. We can disagree and move on!

Of course I would say that - you're missing the point entirely. I've said multiple times we've need a player like Buddy, and Buddy now, for years and years. Buddy is phenomenal and coming along much better than expected.

Of course coaches will do it "if necessary." If it is necessary, I truly hope they do do it - it kinda seems like common sense.

Why do you keep throwing out individual coaches? Do you want me to go research this stuff just to be mean? I'm talking about my opinion on Syracuse. I could care less about UVA or Duke.

Fine, last year:
GUY: 35 MPG in conference (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Hunter: 33 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Jerome: 32 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
8 players over 10 MPG in conference (some likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")

Probably undefeated if they always just played their best players 40 MPG. Stupid, Bennett.

This year:
Clark: 39 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Key: 36 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
Diakite: 32 MPG (likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")
7 players at/over 20 MPG in conference (some likely played 40 minutes sometimes, "as necessary")

You've concluded Buddy is the bestest SG in all situations, and therefore should always play 40 minutes (I assume with the exceptions of blowouts). Everyone should be getting 40 minutes if they're "the best" at their position if you're playing to win, I get it.

I think there is more nuance to the debate, that's all. We can disagree and move on!

I‘m just showing you using examples of coaches that have won titles, playing their kids 40 mpg and only playing 7 kids. Bennett played 7 guys last year. Coach K has been known to do the same. But it’s not ok for you if Boehiem does the same.

It’s not my job to determine anything. JB does that. I just don’t agree with the criticism that Buddy is playing too many minutes. Give me that kid over HoWash or Goodine, because they don’t add much of anything. We’re trying to wIn, and Buddy gives us the best chance to do just that.

If we had someone else that could come in and hit shots, Buddy would sit more. I believe JB said that as well.

I‘m just showing you using examples of coaches that have won titles, playing their kids 40 mpg and only playing 7 kids. Bennett played 7 guys last year. Coach K has been known to do the same. But it’s not ok for you if Boehiem does the same.

It’s not my job to determine anything. JB does that. I just don’t agree with the criticism that Buddy is playing too many minutes. Give me that kid over HoWash or Goodine, because they don’t add much of anything. We’re trying to wIn, and Buddy gives us the best chance to do just that.

If we had someone else that could come in and hit shots, Buddy would sit more. I believe JB said that as well.

He had 8 guys averaging over 10 MPG in conference, each of them played in every conference game, so saying 7, makes it seem like you're just bad at math.

I'm not sure how to explain this, I am not so intimately involved in following Duke or UVA that I can contrast the situation to the extent I may like to. If you want to provide some hardcore analysis, go for it. Otherwise, throwing this stuff out as examples is worthless to me - I don't care what Coach K does, so that has no bearing on what I think about what JB is doing with the rotation. How do you not understand this?????

Yes, Goodine and HoWa add nothing. I'd cut them both. Especially Goodine, worthless. Just worthless.

"Coach K does it! Coach K does it! Coach K does it! Why can't JB? Tony Bennett sometimes tooooo!" There, I typed out your next response in advance for you.

He had 8 guys averaging over 10 MPG in conference, each of them played in every conference game, so saying 7, makes it seem like you're just bad at math.

Look at the boxscores dude.

You tell me who on the Virginia bench is getting developed.

If there’s an 8th kid getting 10 mpg or more, it’s in their blowouts. I’ll bet JB would play 8 or 9 if his team was wining by 15 pts. or more.

I'm not sure how to explain this, I am not so intimately involved in following Duke or UVA that I can contrast the situation to the extent I may like to. If you want to provide some hardcore analysis, go for it. Otherwise, throwing this stuff out as examples is worthless to me - I don't care what Coach K does, so that has no bearing on what I think about what JB is doing with the rotation. How do you not understand this?????

Of course you don’t like the comparison to guys like K and Bennett because it invalidates the criticism if other great coaches are doing the exact same thing.

Yes, Goodine and HoWa add nothing. I'd cut them both. Especially Goodine, worthless. Just worthless.
I actually like Goodine a lot. HoWash is a good defender. I don’t think he’ll be here next season, though. Think he‘s mid-major kid.

Didn‘t say that add nothing. You‘re putting words in my keyboard. I’m saying Buddy gives us the best chance to win.

"Coach K does it! Coach K does it! Coach K does it! Why can't JB? Tony Bennett sometimes tooooo!" There, I typed out your next response in advance for you.

I mean, hard to criticize Boeheim when other great coaches do it too. :)

Last edited:

You finally convinced me after all these posts that they're worthless and add nothing to the team, and then this happens!!! I hate what you've done to me Alpharetta! :)

FWIW, after we escaped last night with that W, I watched the ACCN show that followed the game. Luke Hancock (who played for UL) during some part of the post game discussion and analysis stated along the lines that everyone knows that Boeheim's teams never have a deep bench as he historically only plays about 6-7 guys.

There's no doubt that JB's lack of ever really having a deep bench or ever really caring that much to go more than typically/routinely 6-7 guys is more universal perceived/believed nationally than K or Bennett or most other coaches for that matter. At least that's been my experience from watching a lot of these pundit pre-game/post-game stuff over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom