Is it probable our incoming freshman | Syracusefan.com

Is it probable our incoming freshman

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
will be the two best players on the team next year?
Does the recruiting success of HCFB indicate to us that HCAA should move on from one of his assistants and bring in a proven, great recruiter, or does the incoming class give hope that he can recruit at a high level?

I think that it's plausible that Red has to replace one of his assistants this offseason. And if he does I am really intrigued by the different directions he can go in. In a handful of ways. That would be a fun time on this board.

As someone who follows recruiting zero, who are these guys ?

As someone who follows recruiting zero, who are these guys ?
Elijah "Choppah" Moore is a likely 2G. A shooter/shotmaker. Good off the catch and off the dribble. Looks like prototypical NBA 2G size(?). Not a skinny kid, either. Has pro-type skills. Maybe in the Brad Beal mold?

Donnie Freeman is a 6'9" forward. Lean, but not super skinny. Versatile game. Not sure of a comparison, though. Kinda more DC(1) than anyone else we've had. Maybe like a Chris McCullough? Has skills—not raw. Can block shots. Not really a power player, but can be a 4.

Does the recruiting success of HCFB indicate to us that HCAA should move on from one of his assistants and bring in a proven, great recruiter, or does the incoming class give hope that he can recruit at a high level?
I think Brown and Cope will be our best players. Westry has a shot also.

Maliq Brown will be our best player assuming he doesn't go pro. Freeman is good though. Moore has a chance to be our best shooter.

The Westry discussion is nuts. He shot 31% from the field when he did play last year. We aren't even sure he's better than the guys playing now.

Maliq Brown will be our best player assuming he doesn't go pro. Freeman is good though. Moore has a chance to be our best shooter.

The Westry discussion is nuts. He shot 31% from the field when he did play last year. We aren't even sure he's better than the guys playing now.
Brown is definitely not going pro. He is a good college player but I dont think he has any NBA level skill at this point

Brown is definitely not going pro. He is a good college player but I dont think he has any NBA level skill at this point
I'm not so sure. I think he will end up being a great shooter. He already shoots almost 90% from the line. His perimeter defense and defense overall is excellent.

I'm not so sure. I think he will end up being a great shooter. He already shoots almost 90% from the line. His perimeter defense and defense overall is excellent.
If he finds a jump shot, then sure this is a different conversation. Right now he's just 6'8" without a proven jump shot and no post-game and he is a good-not-great rebounder. Like I said, I think he is a good college player that will make noise over the next two years, but he doesn't seem to have a difference making skill/athletic trait to make an NBA jump.

Ive watched a lot of both of them and theyre very talented. Freeman is starting to put it all together now and I think he will be our most talented player next year. He is currently the third leading scorer in the toughest high school league in the country. Moore is shooting 44.8% from three on over 300 attempts based on data I was able to find over the last couple of years. For reference, Bell was around 31% from three in high school and Taylor was around 20% based on data from the same website so Moore is significantly better than both of our current shooters at the same point. It can be a crap shoot with freshmen but they both have a good chance to make an immediate impact.

Ive watched a lot of both of them and theyre very talented. Freeman is starting to put it all together now and I think he will be our most talented player next year. He is currently the third leading scorer in the toughest high school league in the country. Moore is shooting 44.8% from three on over 300 attempts based on data I was able to find over the last couple of years. For reference, Bell was around 31% from three in high school and Taylor was around 20% based on data from the same website so Moore is significantly better than both of our current shooters at the same point. It can be a crap shoot with freshmen but they both have a good chance to make an immediate impact.
Uhhh is this true?

Uhhh is this true?
Based on their shooting technique it would make sense. Taylor's release
is really poor. He's a dog on the boards, but will never be a perimeter threat.

I think running an offense that reduces the one-on-one stuff we continue to see is priority 1. We cannot get good looks consistently, but perhaps that's straight up personnel issues. Recruit actual point guards and more shooters.

Disagree strongly. He has the size (6'8 220), wingspan, athleticism and most importantly, a high basketball IQ - all traits coveted in the modern NBA.

As a player, Brown's a plus rebounder, plus shot blocker, plus finisher, plus defender, plus passer and plus free throw shooter who rarely makes a poor play or bad decision on the court. Players who possess all those attributes don't grow on trees and NBA teams love rotation players with Maliq's "glue guy" skill set.

I think right now, Brown is the only surefire NBA player on this team.

Disagree strongly. He has the size (6'8 220), wingspan, athleticism and most importantly, a high basketball IQ - all traits coveted in the modern NBA.

As a player, Brown's a plus rebounder, plus shot blocker, plus finisher, plus defender, plus passer and plus free throw shooter who rarely makes a poor play or bad decision on the court. Players who possess all those attributes don't grow on trees and NBA teams love rotation players with Maliq's "glue guy" skill set.

I think right now, Brown is the only surefire NBA player on this team.
I have yet to see the athleticism, he is also one dimensional on offense without a 15 foot jump shot or a post game. I also dont think he is that great of a rebounder, at least not when he goes up against other good rebounders (2 against Tenn, 4 against Gonzaga (in limited minutes though), 5 against UVA, only 5 against GT, 2 against a very short Oregen team. He did have good games against LSU and duke, to his credit.) Again, im not saying he is bad in any way, I just dont think he is THAT good to make an impact as a 4 at the next level

Time will tell.

I assume that Freeman will be the highest upside / top NBA prospect. But our "best" player is subjective -- Brown as an upperclassman, experienced starter, and a guy who shoots 74% from the field / 89% from the line / 40% from three point range will probably be our "best" returning player. Heck, you could make an argument that he's our best player NOW, even over Mintz.

I also assume that Mintz will be gone, so our foundation guys will be players who are sophomores this year -- Brown, Copeland, Starling. Experienced guys who are playing starters minutes this year. That nucleus will be complimented by Benny [if he's still around], Westry [finally healthy next year?], and the two frosh.

I have yet to see the athleticism, he is also one dimensional on offense without a 15 foot jump shot or a post game. I also dont think he is that great of a rebounder, at least not when he goes up against other good rebounders (2 against Tenn, 4 against Gonzaga (in limited minutes though), 5 against UVA, only 5 against GT, 2 against a very short Oregen team. He did have good games against LSU and duke, to his credit.) Again, im not saying he is bad in any way, I just dont think he is THAT good to make an impact as a 4 at the next level
The guy dunks and catches lobs off no steps at 6'8 all the time? That's being athletic and bouncy. He's constantly leaping high to block opponents shots. Last night he guarded and held a skilled 7-footer who averaged 18 points a game to ZERO points. Brown didn't do that against a bigger man without having strength, athleticism, elite-level defensive instincts and tenacity - all desirable skills in the NBA.

Maliq isn't asked to score from outside of the paint in this offense so he rarely does. But the fact that he's a solid free throw shooter with good form demonstrates that he CAN shoot from at least 15 ft in, he just isn't asked to right now.

A smart athletic player who rarely makes mistakes, impacts winning and defends at a high level can make a living in the NBA for a long time - see Taj Gibson.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom