Is it probable our incoming freshman | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is it probable our incoming freshman

Time will tell.

I assume that Freeman will be the highest upside / top NBA prospect. But our "best" player is subjective -- Brown as an upperclassman, experienced starter, and a guy who shoots 74% from the field / 89% from the line / 40% from three point range will probably be our "best" returning player. Heck, you could make an argument that he's our best player NOW, even over Mintz.

I also assume that Mintz will be gone, so our foundation guys will be players who are sophomores this year -- Brown, Copeland, Starling. Experienced guys who are playing starters minutes this year. That nucleus will be complimented by Benny [if he's still around], Westry [finally healthy next year?], and the two frosh.
I'm so happy to see someone post this. Not sure people realize how good a basketball player Brown is. Does that mean he'll be in the NBA? I don't know. But this kid is easily no. 2 on this team and, I agree, you could make an argument he's number 1. The numbers are what they are and they've been really good the past five games (17 and 7) but the stuff he does that doesn't even show up in the numbers is crazy. Not the best rebounder but excellent at boxing out and he makes three or four plays a game that don't show up in the box score. He also doesn't need the ball in his hands.

If Choppa or Freeman are better than that as freshmen when brown is a junior then we will be very, very good.

will be the two best players on the team next year?
Does the recruiting success of HCFB indicate to us that HCAA should move on from one of his assistants and bring in a proven, great recruiter, or does the incoming class give hope that he can recruit at a high level?
They’ll both get playing time but I doubt that either freshman is a starter, though Freeman has a shot to start. The team will be built around Copeland, Brown, Starling and Westry. I’m sure we’ll land a couple of high profile transfers. Benny, Bell and Taylor are big question marks. I think Benny or possibly Bell could be back. I’m worried that Taylor just isn’t impactful/good enough for a high major level, so he could end up transferring, but we’ll see how this season plays out. Maybe he gets it going. But I suspect that the staff will probably want to upgrade at small forward and center after the season.

I compare Maliq to CJ Fair as a sophomore [I get that they play different positions, but are similar in terms of having an exceptional feel for the game / unusually high hoops IQ]. Both play within themselves, don't force, don't try to do too much, and generally make the right play and are in the right place at the right time.

CJ's sophomore year, there were several posters insisting that he couldn't score / shoot outside of 10 feet. Then his junior year, he shifted into the starting lineup, proved to be an outstanding mid-range shooter, and shot ~50% from three point range.

I'd expect that Maliq is similar in the sense that he CAN hit jump shots, but plays within himself. Now that he's getting established [and it's important to note that he's still a sophomore], he's earned the green light to take those shots if they are there. But unlike Benny -- just for example -- he doesn't take many, because he plays within the structure of the team's offense and doesn't "force."
I agree. Dan Sherman said on the broadcast last night that when he asked Red who Maliq reminds him of, Red said CJ for exactly the reasons you cited. He’s becoming an elite defender. And He’s gonna take another step forward next season and become a bonafide star and probably prove that he can shoot from outside. Then the NBA talk will really heat up.

Disagree strongly. He has the size (6'8 220), wingspan, athleticism and most importantly, a high basketball IQ - all traits coveted in the modern NBA.

As a player, Brown's a plus rebounder, plus shot blocker, plus finisher, plus defender, plus passer and plus free throw shooter who rarely makes a poor play or bad decision on the court. Players who possess all those attributes don't grow on trees and NBA teams love rotation players with Maliq's "glue guy" skill set.

I think right now, Brown is the only surefire NBA player on this team.
Was watching the Jazz beat up the Nuggets last night. What struck me was Kelly Olynyk, how he gets up and down the floor, and is never more than 1 degree away from the play on either end. Great passer, probably a better 3pt shooter than Maliq will ever be, but I agree with everything else you've said and think Kelly is a good comp

Was watching the Jazz beat up the Nuggets last night. What struck me was Kelly Olynyk, how he gets up and down the floor, and is never more than 1 degree away from the play on either end. Great passer, probably a better 3pt shooter than Maliq will ever be, but I agree with everything else you've said and think Kelly is a good comp
Agreed. Good comp. But a lot of these NBA guys don't develop that 3-ball until after they've been in the league a few years. Brown is still a sophomore who isn't asked to shoot from outside on this team. But that doesn't mean he can't shoot. I think that's more of a TBD thing.

His shot from range looks nice to me when he tries a 3. Just because he doesn't take it often doesn't mean he can't make it. I would expect him to add that into his game in the next 2 years
If he’s capable then why are we letting guys like Copeland, Starling, Taylor, Bell, and Benny take so many and Bell not taking any? If this was part of his game then we would be utilizing it, especially with our shooting woahs.

If he’s capable then why are we letting guys like Copeland, Starling, Taylor, Bell, and Benny take so many and Bell not taking any? If this was part of his game then we would be utilizing it, especially with our shooting woahs.
“I would expect him to add that into his game in the next 2 years”

“I would expect him to add that into his game in the next 2 years”
I saw that, but also saw “Just because he doesn't take it often doesn't mean he can't make it.”, just assumed it meant the present.

I saw that, but also saw “Just because he doesn't take it often doesn't mean he can't make it.”, just assumed it meant the present.
He’s 2 for 5 from 3. He can make a 3. It‘s probably not at the percentage he or Red would like for him to make it a part of his game right now. sorry, thought what I posted was pretty easy to understand.

I think it's very likely, and whether he's really "ready" or not, Moore is going to have to play. His best skill set, is exactly what our current roster is lacking.
Moore is a very good offensive player. It's difficult to determine how gooda high school player is on defense. If he can hold his own on defense at the next level, he'll definitely be in the rotation.

Moore's shooting is very good, and he is a threat to penetrate as well, so he will be able to help on offense even if they aren't giving him room to shoot.

He'll definitely be an asset from day one. If Mintz leaves, he might even start next to Starling, depending on where Red wants to play Copeland.

Freeman I'm less sure of for next season. He kind of duplicates what Brown and Williams bring to the team. If both of them are still here, I don't see a direct path to big minutes for Freeman, especially if we portal in a center to push Brown and Williams down from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 respectively. If Brown stays as our leader in center minutes, Freeman could be a top backup, along with Carey, McLeod, Patterson and Taylor at the forward/center spots.

Moore is a very good offensive player. It's difficult to determine how gooda high school player is on defense. If he can hold his own on defense at the next level, he'll definitely be in the rotation.

Moore's shooting is very good, and he is a threat to penetrate as well, so he will be able to help on offense even if they aren't giving him room to shoot.

He'll definitely be an asset from day one. If Mintz leaves, he might even start next to Starling, depending on where Red wants to play Copeland.

Freeman I'm less sure of for next season. He kind of duplicates what Brown and Williams bring to the team. If both of them are still here, I don't see a direct path to big minutes for Freeman, especially if we portal in a center to push Brown and Williams down from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 respectively. If Brown stays as our leader in center minutes, Freeman could be a top backup, along with Carey, McLeod, Patterson and Taylor at the forward/center spots.

No disagreement about Moore.

Completely disagree about Freeman -- he's a legit one-and-done-NBA-prospect. Extremely talented and versatile.

I think Brown and Cope will be our best players. Westry has a shot also.
probably Brown, Cope and JJ assuming Judah leaves. At the start of the year I felt that was a lock, now I am not sure he gets drafted. May make more in NIL if he stays. But the two frosh may be huge for us giving us exactly what we need more of rebounding and outside shooting.

Freeman could be a top backup, along with Carey, McLeod, Patterson and Taylor at the forward/center spots.
Would be surprised if more than two of the mentioned return - Red doesn't have the luxury of time for roster-wide 'development'

No disagreement about Moore.

Completely disagree about Freeman -- he's a legit one-and-done-NBA-prospect. Extremely talented and versatile.
I fear Freeman is too physically dominant on the high school level and will need to adjust and get stronger before being a difference maker in college. He does everything ok, but nothing great. If we have Williams and Brown next year, Freeman is a bit blocked. He'll play, but I don't think he'll be in the top 5 in the rotation in that instance. He'll be competing with McLeod, Carey, Patterson, Bell, Taylor, Brown and Williams for forward/center minutes. And that's if we don't play three guards like we've been doing, or we don't get a transfer center/forward.

Our starting lineup might be

Brown, Williams, Copeland, Moore, Starling with everybody else a reserve.

Of course, trying to forecast our team a year ahead these days is a waste of time, since we could have 60% roster turnover in a single offseason and not be that remarkable.

I might be unnecessarily pessimistic about Freeman.

I fear Freeman is too physically dominant on the high school level and will need to adjust and get stronger before being a difference maker in college. He does everything ok, but nothing great. If we have Williams and Brown next year, Freeman is a bit blocked. He'll play, but I don't think he'll be in the top 5 in the rotation in that instance. He'll be competing with McLeod, Carey, Patterson, Bell, Taylor, Brown and Williams for forward/center minutes. And that's if we don't play three guards like we've been doing, or we don't get a transfer center/forward.

Our starting lineup might be

Brown, Williams, Copeland, Moore, Starling with everybody else a reserve.

Of course, trying to forecast our team a year ahead these days is a waste of time, since we could have 60% roster turnover in a single offseason and not be that remarkable.

I might be unnecessarily pessimistic about Freeman.
Freeman might be a McDonalds All American. He's better than Williams. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Benny was gone next year due to his prescence. He's averaging 16 and 8 in the best HS league in the country.

Freeman might be a McDonalds All American. He's better than Williams. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Benny was gone next year due to his prescence. He's averaging 16 and 8 in the best HS league in the country.
Agreed, heres a list of players that averaged at least 16 a game in the same league over the previous 2 years:

VJ Edgecombe (top 5 player in this years class)
Gradey Dick
Keyontae George
Judah Mintz
Dariq Whitehead
Jarace Walker
Mark Mitchell

Every one of those guys had a high-level freshmen season (4 were one and done first round picks) and Edgecombe almost certainly will next season. There are no guarantees with freshmen but I'd be pretty surprised if Donnie doesnt start and isnt one of our best players next season.

I feel very good about the 4 with Freeman and Brown but I'm guessing they start as the 4 and 5.

I really like the guard depth of Copeland, Starling, Westry, Moore & Cuffe. Lots of flexibility there.

Between Bell and our big guards (Copeland, Starling, Westry) that should handle the minutes at the 3.

IMO the 5 and depth at the 4 need to be addressed. Sure Brown may play 20min of center but who is coming off the bench for the other 20min. I think Patterson and or Carey are probably feasible as edge of rotation emergency depth at the 4/5 next year. I don't however think that's enough. Hima, even if healthy is not what I'd like to see in the rotation. Will McLeod be healthy? Will he be back? Is he a good fit if he is?

And the staff is preparing for him to be one and done too… Hes auto starter next year and will be drafted.
The thing I've noticed about Freeman is that he's put on a decent amount of weight and still has a real projectible frame to add more. I don't think 250lbs (I mean at a peak, not at SU as a frosh) is out of the realm of possibility for him and still be just as mobile.

Which is atypical of the HS forwards SU typically recruits and signs.

1705606048579.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom