Is it safe? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is it safe?

as Sir Lawrence Olivier asked Dustin Hoffman while gouging him with a dentist's drill.
I have avoided coming here for almost two days to spare myself of the naysayers. Have they gone away yet?
Just logged in for the same reason. Wanted to avoid all the trolls and Cooney should retire idiots. May be impossible

Will they ever be the answer?

Why don't you go read about the history of SU basketball since the 1970's. If you had any historical perspective, you would realize how ridiculous this question is.

And the fact is, it isn't just at SU. Every year at every school playing every sport, there are stories unfolding of players who develop from talented, but limited or no experience to become the next great player for that team. Far too often, fans forget, or just can't fathom how large a difference there is between high school sports and college sports. The reality is, that for every great player that shines from the beginning, there are hundreds who wait for there turn, or work incredibly hard to get to the point that their number is called. This is reality.

Millhouse said:
their poor parents. it must be so painful to hear that your sons weren't the answer
What is it about you that requires you always be the biggest douche on the planet?

Roberson, Johnson, and Patterson played against the cupcakes. They shot about 25 percent. They weren't the answer this year.
serious response, i don't like putting all our eggs in one basket.

i'm willing to risk a 22-3 start in hopes of developing diversified shooting. maybe it would've meant that we'd still end up depending on cooney too much while having to play a 9 seed instead. gbinije could've gotten more shots too. he had a long stretch in dec/jan with very few shots

i hope we don't make the same mistake next year

hey az, i will respond as soon as i make sure my poor parents don't see your hurtful words

i'm willing to risk a 22-3 start in hopes of developing diversified shooting. maybe it would've meant that we'd still end up depending on cooney too much while having to play a 9 seed instead. gbinije could've gotten more shots too. he had a long stretch in dec/jan with very few shots

Nope.. it was very important for Cooney to play 39 MINS and G to play 4 in a game we scored 49 POINTS...so we could go 14-0..We'll all wrong, stupid, etc.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400502770

I made this post in another thread, but Mike averaged about 9 points per 40 minutes. A lot of people on this board thought he would start over Cooney this year. A lot of people thought Trevor wouldn't average 8 points a game. It seems to me at least from the beginning of the season that Trevor surpassed expectations, while Gbinije didn't reach his, at least from posters at the beginning of the season. Mike shot 38 percent this year, and it wasn't like he was firing threes when he came in. Less than half his shots came from three.

As far as the three freshman that sat the bench this year, i think their stats show they couldnt play this year. They were a combined 31-100 from the field and 8-40 from three. They got some time early in the year and couldn't even produce against High Point. If they did produce, they would of played later in the year.

Listen cooney stunk saturday, but he was the only one on the team this year that had any realm of a possibility to make an outside shot. Fair couldnt shoot this year. Ennis is not a shooter as evidenced Saturday, and Grant is definately not a shooter. Did trevor stink Saturday and have a rough end to the season? yes? But his performance through the 25-0 start hid the fact that he was the only person on the team that the other team was even scared about beyond three. Everybody elses defender welcomed our guys to shoot jumpers.

The problem with our offense was the fact not only did we have one shooter, we basically had no post game after Coleman got hurt. Roc had his moments, but he wasnt exactly rick jackson or arinze onuaku in there. This team needs more help on the wing from a shooting perspective, and more offense downlow. Thats why we were good in 09-10. Our offense was diversified. We had 7 guys who could go off at any moment. This team had 4.

It also seems like there is a larger, more vocal group whom have had enough with constantly being called out.

There are always going to outliers, in BOTH camps. Let's not let that ruin the experience for everyone. I know I have tried very hard to keep my business out of your cheerios.

Swish is dead on.
Look at this thread for example
http://syracusefan.com/threads/19-0-but.66905/

You make valid points/concerns, many that ended up coming true and these are the responses you got from the Superfans:

Gilardo: "quite frankly people like you is why I rip syracuse fans, pathetic"
AZOrange: "Miami looked better for much of a game they trailed in for 37/40 minutes. Just goofy."
Pearl31 : "You're (presumably) a fan of an undefeated, #2 ranked team and this is the feeling you have? :confused:"

So basically you are goofy, pathetic, not a good fan throughout the season. Then when your valid concerns come to the light and we lose in the 2nd round to Dayton, you need to just shut up and tell everyone how great JB is and what great kids we have.

Swell board.

Cusefan0307 said:
I made this post in another thread, but Mike averaged about 9 points per 40 minutes. A lot of people on this board thought he would start over Cooney this year. A lot of people thought Trevor wouldn't average 8 points a game. It seems to me at least from the beginning of the season that Trevor surpassed expectations, while Gbinije didn't reach his, at least from posters at the beginning of the season. Mike shot 38 percent this year, and it wasn't like he was firing threes when he came in. Less than half his shots came from three. As far as the three freshman that sat the bench this year, i think their stats show they couldnt play this year. They were a combined 31-100 from the field and 8-40 from three. They got some time early in the year and couldn't even produce against High Point. If they did produce, they would of played later in the year. Listen cooney stunk saturday, but he was the only one on the team this year that had any realm of a possibility to make an outside shot. Fair couldnt shoot this year. Ennis is not a shooter as evidenced Saturday, and Grant is definately not a shooter. Did trevor stink Saturday and have a rough end to the season? yes? But his performance through the 25-0 start hid the fact that he was the only person on the team that the other team was even scared about beyond three. Everybody elses defender welcomed our guys to shoot jumpers. The problem with our offense was the fact not only did we have one shooter, we basically had no post game after Coleman got hurt. Roc had his moments, but he wasnt exactly rick jackson or arinze onuaku in there. This team needs more help on the wing from a shooting perspective, and more offense downlow. Thats why we were good in 09-10. Our offense was diversified. We had 7 guys who could go off at any moment. This team had 4.

Some think what Cooney did the 2nd half of the season exposed him. When in reality what he did the 1st half of the season was mask other issues which were then exposed the 2nd half when he struggled. It takes two to tangle.

Those that insist on blaming one player for the failures must then give the player the credit for the wins. Can't have it both ways.

Reactions: cto
I made this post in another thread, but Mike averaged about 9 points per 40 minutes. A lot of people on this board thought he would start over Cooney this year. A lot of people thought Trevor wouldn't average 8 points a game. It seems to me at least from the beginning of the season that Trevor surpassed expectations, while Gbinije didn't reach his, at least from posters at the beginning of the season. Mike shot 38 percent this year, and it wasn't like he was firing threes when he came in. Less than half his shots came from three.

As far as the three freshman that sat the bench this year, i think their stats show they couldnt play this year. They were a combined 31-100 from the field and 8-40 from three. They got some time early in the year and couldn't even produce against High Point. If they did produce, they would of played later in the year.

Listen cooney stunk saturday, but he was the only one on the team this year that had any realm of a possibility to make an outside shot. Fair couldnt shoot this year. Ennis is not a shooter as evidenced Saturday, and Grant is definately not a shooter. Did trevor stink Saturday and have a rough end to the season? yes? But his performance through the 25-0 start hid the fact that he was the only person on the team that the other team was even scared about beyond three. Everybody elses defender welcomed our guys to shoot jumpers.

The problem with our offense was the fact not only did we have one shooter, we basically had no post game after Coleman got hurt. Roc had his moments, but he wasnt exactly rick jackson or arinze onuaku in there. This team needs more help on the wing from a shooting perspective, and more offense downlow. Thats why we were good in 09-10. Our offense was diversified. We had 7 guys who could go off at any moment. This team had 4.
In games where gbinije shot 2 or more threes, he shot 39%.

in games with 1 three point attempt, he shot 25%. maybe he's better if he gets to shoot more than once. maybe i'm just cherrypicking

3pa 3pa Percent
0 2 0%
0 2 0%
0 2 0%
1 4 25%
1 3 33%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
2 4 50%
2 3 67%
2 3 67%
12 31 39%

sorry for the formatting - i think this is right 12-31 is the yearly total for games with 2 or more gbinije 3 pt attempts

this is less feast or famine

he was bad going to the basket most of the year. alarmingly so. but as a one dimensional shooter, he was fine in the games where he actually shot the ball

here are the list of games (doesn't match the sort above, just copying quick to show who those opponents were)

COL 50, SU 69
BC 62, SU 59
WMU 53, SU 77
SU 57, MARY 55
SU 56, UVA 75
HP 54, SU 75
UNC 45, SU 57
SU 67, WFU 57
SU 58, PITT 56
SU 60, DUKE 66
BING 65, SU 93
SU 72, VT 52

Last edited:
djcon57 said:
Swish is dead on. Look at this thread for example http://syracusefan.com/threads/19-0-but.66905/ You make valid points/concerns, many that ended up coming true and these are the responses you got from the Superfans: Gilardo: "quite frankly people like you is why I rip syracuse fans, pathetic" AZOrange: "Miami looked better for much of a game they trailed in for 37/40 minutes. Just goofy." Pearl31 : "You're (presumably) a fan of an undefeated, #2 ranked team and this is the feeling you have? :confused:" So basically you are goofy, pathetic, not a good fan throughout the season. Then when your valid concerns come to the light and we lose in the 2nd round to Dayton, you need to just shut up and tell everyone how great JB is and what great kids we have. Swell board.
Saying team x played better than team y for a majority of a game when team x trailed for the majority of the game is goofy.

Swish is dead on.

You make valid points/concerns, many that ended up coming true and these are the responses you got from the Superfans:

AZOrange: "Miami looked better for much of a game they trailed in for 37/40 minutes. Just goofy."
Pearl31 : "You're (presumably) a fan of an undefeated, #2 ranked team and this is the feeling you have? :confused:"

So basically you are goofy, pathetic, not a good fan throughout the season. Then when your valid concerns come to the light and we lose in the 2nd round to Dayton, you need to just shut up and tell everyone how great JB is and what great kids we have.

Swell board.

Yep, and believe me, I had not forgotten that moment and other moments like it ("we were 1-4 last year, lost to GT, and went to the F4"). The problem is, when you bring up moments where you were ultimately correct, you then get accused of 'rooting for failure'. We cannot simply discuss our observations and opinions on their merit, they constantly have to be questioned and approved by a zoning board. What's ironic is that JB often agrees with opinions that get shouted down.

That said, it is a good board. No exchange of ideas is going to be perfect, so hopefully we can allow for imperfection. I'm happy the admins finally grew tired of being PMed by deputy admins.

Millhouse said:
In games where gbinije shot 2 or more threes, he shot 39%. in games with 1 three point attempt, he shot 25%. maybe he's better if he gets to shoot more than once. maybe i'm just cherrypicking 3pa 3pa Percent 0 2 0% 0 2 0% 0 2 0% 1 4 25% 1 3 33% 1 2 50% 1 2 50% 1 2 50% 1 2 50% 2 4 50% 2 3 67% 2 3 67% 12 31 39% sorry for the formatting - i think this is right 12-31 is the yearly total for games with 2 or more gbinije 3 pt attempts this is less feast or famine he was bad going to the basket most of the year. alarmingly so. but as a one dimensional shooter, he was fine in the games where he actually shot the ball here are the list of games (doesn't match the sort above, just copying quick to show who those opponents were) COL 50, SU 69 BC 62, SU 59 WMU 53, SU 77 SU 57, MARY 55 SU 56, UVA 75 HP 54, SU 75 UNC 45, SU 57 SU 67, WFU 57 SU 58, PITT 56 SU 60, DUKE 66 BING 65, SU 93 SU 72, VT 52

Did you know Cooney shot 50% in Thursday games?

Even tho G shot a lower percentage from 3 and overall than Cooney, he also wasn't blanketed by anyone and some teams went zone when he was in like WMU did. That helps him but is a detriment to the other 1-1 ISO guys when the lane is more packed or defenders slough off an offensive player.

Even tho G shot a lower percentage from 3 and overall than Cooney, he also wasn't blanketed by anyone and some teams went zone when he was in like WMU did. That helps him but is a detriment to the other 1-1 ISO guys when the lane is more packed or defenders slough off an offensive player.

Everyone but you knows that taking more than one shot in a game might be more relevant to shooting percentages than what day of the week it is.

You're making excuses. In games where Gbinije shot more than 1 3, he shot the ball for better percentage with more consistency. Maybe we should do that

Last edited:
Some think what Cooney did the 2nd half of the season exposed him. When in reality what he did the 1st half of the season was mask other issues which were then exposed the 2nd half when he struggled. It takes two to tangle.

Those that insist on blaming one player for the failures must then give the player the credit for the wins. Can't have it both ways.
My irritation is that nobody recognizes Cooney's defensive skills. Why did he still play when his shot was not falling--because the alternatives left a lot to be desired in playing a very complex zone at the level required.

Millhouse said:
Everyone but you knows that taking more than one shot in a game might be more relevant to shooting percentages than what day of the week it is. You're making excuses. In games where Gbinije shot more than 1 3, he shot the ball for better percentage with more consistency. Maybe we should do that

Thursday's was a joke as I am sure you know as the king of slicing and dicing. G shot worse from the 3, from the field, from the line, had more turnovers and less steals per mins played. He was better in rebs and assists. The right guy started and got starter minutes.

I hope so. If we lose Ennis and Grant it is going to be a very long season next year.
You hope so, you have never witnessed a player improve from year to year. They all just play the same from the day thet're freshman until the day they leave school? Kinds like Siekaly, Douglass, Burgan, just came to school and never improved right? Or should they have been starting the day they got here? Hope has nothing to do with it, it's a fact players improve from year to year, Cooney did from sitting the bench last year to starting this year.

Swish is dead on.

Swell board.

Couldn't 'like' this enough.

Says a lot about the value of some posts -- if not posters -- unfortunately.

if only we could have somehow won that game on Saturday . . . . I'd really like our chances Thursday night against Stanford.

if only we could have somehow won that game on Saturday . . . . I'd really like our chances Thursday night against Stanford.

We had a cakewalk to the elite 8.

In games where gbinije shot 2 or more threes, he shot 39%.

in games with 1 three point attempt, he shot 25%. maybe he's better if he gets to shoot more than once. maybe i'm just cherrypicking

3pa 3pa Percent
0 2 0%
0 2 0%
0 2 0%
1 4 25%
1 3 33%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
1 2 50%
2 4 50%
2 3 67%
2 3 67%
12 31 39%

sorry for the formatting - i think this is right 12-31 is the yearly total for games with 2 or more gbinije 3 pt attempts

this is less feast or famine

he was bad going to the basket most of the year. alarmingly so. but as a one dimensional shooter, he was fine in the games where he actually shot the ball

here are the list of games (doesn't match the sort above, just copying quick to show who those opponents were)

COL 50, SU 69
BC 62, SU 59
WMU 53, SU 77
SU 57, MARY 55
SU 56, UVA 75
HP 54, SU 75
UNC 45, SU 57
SU 67, WFU 57
SU 58, PITT 56
SU 60, DUKE 66
BING 65, SU 93
SU 72, VT 52

JB benched him when Gbinije wouldn't shoot when he was open. JB said that he's a good shooter but if he won't shoot when open he might as well sit. Sounds like the coaches wanted him to be confident, shoot and contribute. It didn't sound like a staff that was trying to limit his playing time or contributions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom