Is it the seniors, or the staff? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is it the seniors, or the staff?

Triche and Southerland get exposed for what they are against good teams, which is very average players
You have hit the nail on the head. Triche hit his peak in high school and has not improved at all, if anything he has regressed lately. Southerland is what he is, a very limited shooter, if he is not hitting he contributes almost nothing. Throw in the absence of a Center presence on offense and you have a recipe for a very average team, that wins when it does mostly on athleticism.

We really miss Weaver. That dude could not only recruit, but he could coach forwards. He taught them the jab step, really did an outstanding job.

And yes, our big men production has fallen off since Bernie was shown the door. Neither Hop or Autry are doing as well as the guys before them in those roles. Come to think of it, I'm not so crazy about the job that GMac has done with the guards.

I was never crazy about Bernie Fine--for the most part, I think the "big man guru" attribution was largely undeserved. But one thing's for certain: the development [or lack thereof] of the bigs these past two years leaves something to be desired.

I expect Coleman to make a significant leap forward this offseason, heading into next year. I'm less optimistic about Rak. But either way, it wouldn't break my heart to see a coach added to the staff who excels at coaching up bigs.

I was never crazy about Bernie Fine--for the most part, I think the "big man guru" attribution was largely undeserved. But one thing's for certain: the development [or lack thereof] of the bigs these past two years leaves something to be desired.

I expect Coleman to make a significant leap forward this offseason, heading into next year. I'm less optimistic about Rak. But either way, it wouldn't break my heart to see a coach added to the staff who excels at coaching up bigs.

Finally, more and more posters are jumping on my "WE NEED A BIG MAN COACH" bandwagon. I'm sceptical about DC's development. I know he's allegedly a hard worker, so maybe he can shed some more pounds, but will that help him gain explosiveness. He plays way too small for his size. First thing he needs to do is break his bad habits that help make him play smaller. He just doesn't have any lift off the court; not sure you can teach that but maybe some drills would help.

Finally, more and more posters are jumping on my "WE NEED A BIG MAN COACH" bandwagon. I'm sceptical about DC's development. I know he's allegedly a hard worker, so maybe he can shed some more pounds, but will that help him gain explosiveness. He plays way too small for his size. First thing he needs to do is break his bad habits that help make him play smaller. He just doesn't have any lift off the court; not sure you can teach that but maybe some drills would help.

I don't think he'll ever be able to play above the rim, but he's got to break those bad habits. What we don't know is whether anyone on this staff can help accomplish that; we haven't seen much progress over the course of this first year.

I never understood the logic of promoting McNamara over Sims when Bernie got fired. I don't believe one needs to have been a big to be able to coach the bigs, but our shuffle (Hopkins with bigs, McNamara with guards) seemed unnecessary at best.

Roosevelt Bouie has expressed interest in working with our big men. I can't think of anyone on this planet who's a better candidate to work with college-aged basketball players. As far as coaching background goes, of course, he's probably roughly where McNamara was eighteen months ago.

I agree, RF - Bernie had too many fallow years to be considered a great big man coach. Although I think he did good work with Etan Thomas, and with Arinze and Rick. Other than that, though, I remain underwhelmed.

I'm shocked that neither of them has a drop step or a jump hook. I mean, this is low post offense 101, that most under-6 foot people learn the footwork for in high school or junior high. It's just a matter of repetition.

I don't think he'll ever be able to play above the rim, but he's got to break those bad habits. What we don't know is whether anyone on this staff can help accomplish that; we haven't seen much progress over the course of this first year.

I never understood the logic of promoting McNamara over Sims when Bernie got fired. I don't believe one needs to have been a big to be able to coach the bigs, but our shuffle (Hopkins with bigs, McNamara with guards) seemed unnecessary at best.

Roosevelt Bouie has expressed interest in working with our big men. I can't think of anyone on this planet who's a better candidate to work with college-aged basketball players. As far as coaching background goes, of course, he's probably roughly where McNamara was eighteen months ago.

I don't know about that. Rosie has been running that showcase/ tryout camp for guys who want to play in Italy for a few years now.

Can our past players, many of whom maintain contacts with the program, become informal coaches for guys who played the same position, even if they aren't formally on the staff? I be if Rosey Bouie, Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Etan Thomas got together with this kids, (perhaps not all at the same time), they could teach them a move or two that would help them.

Can our past players, many of whom maintain contacts with the program, become informal coaches for guys who played the same position, even if they aren't formally on the staff? I be if Rosey Bouie, Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Etan Thomas got together with this kids, (perhaps not all at the same time), they could teach them a move or two that would help them.

I hear what your saying and I like the idea but I have to believe that the NCAA would have a big issue with something like this. It's one thing to discuss a post move in the locker room after a game and another to come to a practice and work with the bigs. Hopefully our bigs will get invited to a Big Man Camp.

Do the underlying problems begin with the upperclassmen, or the staff outside JB / Hop?

Or is it the schedule?

At what point do we blame the Internet chat forums for our decline like we do on the football board?

At what point do we blame the Internet chat forums for our decline like we do on the football board?
Im blaming society and the mr ding a ling ice cream truck driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they could, but time is so limited; I'm sure Boeheim has no shortage of things he'd like to do in his allotted practice time and it doesn't involve that.

Wonder if they could work together over the summer, as players to with strength and conditioning coaches.

I don't know about that. Rosie has been running that showcase/ tryout camp for guys who want to play in Italy for a few years now.

I've heard that in the last year; he was enthusiastic about the idea.

has he? I remeber a lot of Rautins/Scoop/Dion at the end of games with Triche on the bench

That is true, but he has had a lot of exposure before the second half of his senior year.

That is true, but he has had a lot of exposure before the second half of his senior year.
he has but the whole "starter for 4 years" is a little misleading

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom