Is it time? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is it time?

I don't think SU is willing to pay a proven top tier coach. Couple that with scholarship reductions and a top tier coach won't want to come here.
Doesn't have to be a big name. Quality coaches at lower programs that would succeed at a huge program like Syracuse. Scott Cross at UTA is my vote. Great PnR system, players love him, great defensively, has completely turned around UTA.

I don't think SU is willing to pay a proven top tier coach. Couple that with scholarship reductions and a top tier coach won't want to come here.

We wont have restrictions with scholarships.

Pretty sure you can sense where this season is headed. JB said it himself: If Howard doesn't play well, we're not going to win.

I've seen nothing from his game that tells me we're going to see a big change.

First priority is to go out and find someone who can play the point next year. If Howard winds up being our best option, expect another long season next year.

This staff needs to kill it on the recruiting trail the next year or two. JB's imminent retirement is casting a huge shadow. But they need to get beyond that, determine once and for all that Hop is the guy and see whether he's the right fit. Wildhack probably didn't think he'd have to worry about the basketball program. Football, yes. But he has some thinking to do in regards to hoops.

Wildhack may have more to worry about with hoops than football and not because there is little to worry about with football. I am all in favor of bringing a new coach from outside when JB retires.

This staff needs to kill it on the recruiting trail the next year or two. JB's imminent retirement is casting a huge shadow..

IMO this is the most disconcerting part of what is happening this year, next and beyond. This staff utterly whiffed on any semblance of a top class for next year and 2018 isn't looking much more optimistic. Sadly I feel like we are projected as a lame duck program in recruiting circles and that will not change until JB is gone. He had a stellar ride and will be missed in many aspects of the game, but lets be brutally honest with ourselves here, the game has passed him by and its becoming obvious. Recruits and players don't exactly have glowing things to say about JB other than he leaves us alone and lets us be men. that may work for some players but not most.

We need a coach that has a name, success and runs a legitimate run and gun offense, with actually sets and plays, to keep this thing going. Im watching kids out there LOST , unfamiliar with each other and no direction. Even more tough to see if the lack of complete hustle and a seemingly low BB IQ. I'm honestly starting to worry about the program, and not just on the back of this season thus far.

It is indeed sad to hear me say that JB has run his course. Have been supporting him and the program since the early 80's. Whenever he decides to leave, be it this year or next, I would really like to see how Hop does rather than all the talk above about going outside for a replacement. Of course, loyalty is one of my prominent traits.

In all honesty, I thought this thread would turn into a pissing contest. The fact that we're all agreeing is pretty telling if you ask me. If us diehards are saying this, imagine what the perception of recruits must be.

Doesn't have to be a big name. Quality coaches at lower programs that would succeed at a huge program like Syracuse. Scott Cross at UTA is my vote. Great PnR system, players love him, great defensively, has completely turned around UTA.
Exactly - look at Florida. They gave a guy a shot and they are moving in the right direction. There are a lot of good, "YOUNG" coaches who would come here, we don't need to limit ourselves to the 50 plus market, that we can't afford anyway.

This is the 3rd thread im saying this in because now there are so many coaching threads. But Syverud officially announced last summer that Hop is the next HC starting in 18/19.

Last edited:
This is the 3rd thread in saying this in because no there are so many coaxing threads. But Syverud officially announced last summer that Hop is the next HC starting in 18/19.
Correct, but surely things can change. If we don't finish the year stronger, I think the outcry from the fan base could make a difference. I'm not against Hop at all, he's been a loyal guy and we owe him thanks. WIth that being said, we have to do what's best for the program. Whether that's Hop or not is open for discussion. I think at least putting some fliers out there would be worth it and then let Hop interview like everyone else.

Cuse House said:
Correct, but surely things can change. If we don't finish the year stronger, I think the outcry from the fan base could make a difference. I'm not against Hop at all, he's been a loyal guy and we owe him thanks. WIth that being said, we have to do what's best for the program. Whether that's Hop or not is open for discussion. I think at least putting some fliers out there would be worth it and then let Hop interview like everyone else.

He's already decided what he thinks is best for the program. It's one of the things he accessed when he came on and last summer he made it official and public. I don't see him changing his mind just because this season is going sideways.

JoeySimz said:
Funny, my perspective is the exact opposite. I think we have won consistently with good but not great talent. If JB ever has a recruiting class like Cal gets every single year...

For the most part, considering we play in building that can draw 30,000, have a HOF coach, a long history of success and are part of a prestigious conference, we don't recruit up to those standards.

To blow this thing up? JB retire, bring in a new HC from outside the program, and suffer a few down years for longevity? Serious discussion has to be had. Let's have a rational discussion on where everyone stands.
Serious discussion by whom? Those decisions have been made.

Ehhhhhh I would beg to differ. We are a basketball school now, can you imagine how the alumni would react, former players would react if we didn't hire within the program or go hire a top or up and coming coach. We would pay good money, and trust me I'm sure the former players and some of the alumni would have a bigger say than a football hire

To blow this thing up? JB retire, bring in a new HC from outside the program, and suffer a few down years for longevity? Serious discussion has to be had. Let's have a rational discussion on where everyone stands.
2004 was the right time...

I'll never count JB out so am willing to let this year play out but, and I know this won't be popular, I've always liked the way Buzz Williams gets his team to play, usually with inferior talent to what we have.

I'll never count JB out so am willing to let this year play out but, and I know this won't be popular, I've always liked the way Buzz Williams gets his team to play, usually with inferior talent to what we have.
He's a good coach but doesn't seem like someone who would be the next Syracuse coach.

Tough to have that scrappy, nobody believes in us mentality when coaching at a top 10 program.

Plus I don't like him.

He's a good coach but doesn't seem like someone who would be the next Syracuse coach.

Tough to have that scrappy, nobody believes in us mentality when coaching at a top 10 program.

Plus I don't like him.
No way anyone can consider us a top 10 program anymore.

No way anyone can consider us a top 10 program anymore.
I think we're at a crossroads of where we could lose that distinction BUT here's where CBB's ridiculousness saves us.. The Final 4's. Average fans don't know how bad we've sucked recently. They just know we're regularly in the Final 4.

99% of average fans still think we're borderline elite even if our play certainly doesn't warrant it.

I think we're at a crossroads of where we could lose that distinction BUT here's where CBB's ridiculousness saves us.. The Final 4's. Average fans don't know how bad we've sucked recently. They just know we're regularly in the Final 4.

99% of average fans still think we're borderline elite even if our play certainly doesn't warrant it.
So even though we are better at the end of the year, we shouldn't be happy.
Stick around. This team will find itself yet.

Funny, my perspective is the exact opposite. I think we have won consistently with good but not great talent. If JB ever has a recruiting class like Cal gets every single year...

You don't get it. Cal gets superstuds to buy in and play team ball. Do you know how hard that is? JB gets very good talent and has then rotate side to side with their hands in the air on defense and then look for a steal and break as offense or fire up a 3 as the shot clock is winding down. Cal blooooows JB outta the water as a schematic and motivational coach.

You don't get it. Cal gets superstuds to buy in and play team ball. Do you know how hard that is? JB gets very good talent and has then rotate side to side with their hands in the air on defense and then look for a steal and break as offense or fire up a 3 as the shot clock is winding down. Cal blooooows JB outta the water as a schematic and motivational coach.
Cal gets hated on by fans of any school not named UK. He's a great head coach.

Half of CBB coaching is recruiting anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom