Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history? | Syracusefan.com

Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history?

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
35/109 last 8 games. The positives are the 82 rebounds and 56/68 FT shooting. If he can get his FG shooting up to even just 40%, we would be much better off.

Maybe Cooney had a worse shooting stretch? However, most of his shots were from 3, so it's not quite the same.

Tons of potential for this freshman, but right now he's having a really, really tough time putting the basketball in the hoop. I expect a huge improvement next season.

And with all of that, he’s rapidly become the best shooter at the line on our team and is still averaging over 15 a game heading into last night.

Can’t knock the kid.

And with all of that, he’s rapidly become the best shooter at the line on our team and is still averaging over 15 a game heading into last night.

Can’t knock the kid.

Definitely not. I am living with the growing pains. Hence why I provided his very good rebounding and FT #s.

Just providing the stats/facts.

We can’t hold this against him. Sure he misses an uncomfortable amount of open shots. He’s also a freshman playing over 35 mins a game, whos playing on a team where only one player is capable of finding those around him in open space.

Brissetts being told “make it happen” against basketball’s top teams. It’s hard and he’s working admirably. 2017/2018 is downright scary if we dont land Brissett’s commitment.

I am concerned that his frustration at his inability to finish or make anything close is getting into his head and he is going to start settling for more and more 3 pointers.

Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. This is shaping up to be a lost season so why not expand the kid’s range and have him develop his game even more?

He's a freshman being asked to play 37 mpg and be the 2nd or third scoring option on a team with a relatively basic offensive game plan. He's missing a lot of bunnies and open shots, but he's also getting jammed up by a lot of double teams as well.

Brissett probably should be getting about 20-25 mpg as a 6th man off the bench (similar to a sophomore Kris Joseph).

He's a freshman being asked to play 37 mpg and be the 2nd or third scoring option on a team with a relatively basic offensive game plan. He's missing a lot of bunnies and open shots, but he's also getting jammed up by a lot of double teams as well.

Brissett probably should be getting about 20-25 mpg as a 6th man off the bench (similar to a sophomore Kris Joseph).

He is getting bodied a LOT and hasn’t gotten the foul calls the last few games.

He needs to turn into a Southerland type player on offense and literally wait for an open 3.

As much as I like his free throw shooting he's missing far too many shots inside every single game.

He needs to turn into a Southerland type player on offense and literally wait for an open 3.

As much as I like his free throw shooting he's missing far too many shots inside every single game.

Disagree. He’s s classic slasher, who isn’t finishing in the lane yet. His body type and game is the opposite of J-South.

Disagree. He’s s classic slasher, who isn’t finishing in the lane yet. His body type and game is the opposite of J-South.

His shooting is so awful and we're not in the position for him to learn on the job. I'd rather see Frank or Tyus drive every single time. I cringe every time he makes a move.

His jump shot is improving, but his shots at the rim are getting worse. He's got to have the worst shooting percentage at the rim in Syracuse history. I feel like a big reason for this is at times he'd rather try to create contact than try to make the shot.

He being asked to play an offensive role similar to Donte Greene's in his one season here.

His TS% is significantly lower than any of any of the other guys that play. That's true for the full year and in conference play. This stat incorporates the different value of 3pt and 2pt baskets, plus FTs.

The silver lining is his PER, while not great, is tied with Battle for second best for the year (Chukwu is #1, but it can skew towards benefiting bigs).

One other note, he is leading the team in win shares. He and battle are way out front in that stat.

There hasn't been a major shift over the course of the year. He's basically not been very efficient the whole year. My guess, and I know I've been hammering this, is that him averaging 37.5 mpg is way too much for him. Combined with, what I feel is, a poor offensive strategy on JB's part, this is what you get with a freshman that is being depended on this much.

he sure gets his shot blocked alot for a tall, elite athlete

His TS% is significantly lower than any of any of the other guys that play. That's true for the full year and in conference play. This stat incorporates the different value of 3pt and 2pt baskets, plus FTs.

The silver lining is his PER, while not great, is tied with Battle for second best for the year (Chukwu is #1, but it can skew towards benefiting bigs).

One other note, he is leading the team in win shares. He and battle are way out front in that stat.

There hasn't been a major shift over the course of the year. He's basically not been very efficient the whole year. My guess, and I know I've been hammering this, is that him averaging 37.5 mpg is way too much for him. Combined with, what I feel is, a poor offensive strategy on JB's part, this is what you get with a freshman that is being depended on this much.

He is a guy who can get to the rim but cannot finish effectively. His high FT attempts indicate he can find contact. People underestimate how physical this game actual is inside especially, obviously, when you get fouled. It takes a toll. More minutes you play with more opportunities for contact takes a toll.

What are his 3ppg% over the period ? I actually feel like it’s a little better. It’s weird but I feel more comfortable with a pull up jumper from him than the stuff in close. Not sure if stats bear that out

he sure gets his shot blocked alot for a tall, elite athlete
That’s what happens when defenders are allowed to sag off others. If Moyer/Chukwu/Marek/Bourama were threats at all...the lane would be open. There are multiple examples of when we are spread out and the defense each has a guy with a foot in the lane.

What are his 3ppg% over the period ? I actually feel like it’s a little better. It’s weird but I feel more comfortable with a pull up jumper from him than the stuff in close. Not sure if stats bear that out

3pt.png

That's the name I was going to chime in with, by way of my main concern: Brissett seems to be taking a lot of shots near the rim that have no chance; he's just hoping for the whistle that's never going to come. (Much like Kris Joseph did at times.)

Beyond that, he's a victim of his early success. Kid's playing OK for a freshman, but he looked so talented in the early games that some fans expected more.

Hopefully he continues to play inside-out but is a little more selective and strong with his layup attempts. Rebound, defend, and make the most of every trip to the free-throw line. And maybe one of his teammates will step up and take some of the scoring burden off him.

Last edited:
That’s what happens when defenders are allowed to sag off others. If Moyer/Chukwu/Marek/Bourama were threats at all...the lane would be open. There are multiple examples of when we are spread out and the defense each has a guy with a foot in the lane.
Watching last night when Chukwu would set a pick, half the time his defender wouldn't even follow him or or follow him and just double team Frank or Battle.

I haven't watched the games closely enough to be certain, but I don't remember any times Brissett set a pick and rolled to the basket. He'd be a better candidate than Chukwu.

Watching last night when Chukwu would set a pick, half the time his defender wouldn't even follow him or or follow him and just double team Frank or Battle.

I haven't watched the games closely enough to be certain, but I don't remember any times Brissett set a pick and rolled to the basket. He'd be a better candidate than Chukwu.
He ran some pick and pops the last couple games (wake mainly) to some success. I’ve never understood having a 7-2 guy 30 feet out. His guy doesn’t even have to hedge out