Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history?

It's not a silly stat. Its very important in fact when one is trying to determine the validity of other stats such as OBP. It's just that there is alot of random variation in a player's babip and only a certain amount of it is under player control..although its less random than was originally believed

Just my opinion

Not Syracuse Orange Related. But these were the shooting stats of the 1955 Syracuse NBA Championship team. I can't believe how bad those %'s were back then.

upload_2018-1-10_15-9-31.png

This isn't a slight to you but TS% stinks. Your field goal percentage is what it is. Your free throw percentage is what it is. To me it's like in baseball when a guy has a good BABIP (batting average of balls in play) which is essentially if strikeouts don't count. Mark Reynolds had a .343 BABIP last year but hit .267 because he strikes out a ton.

Just because a guy gets a lot of free throw attempts doesn't mean he's a better shooter, ya know?

:rolleyes:

Not Syracuse Orange Related. But these were the shooting stats of the 1955 Syracuse NBA Championship team. I can't believe how bad those %'s were back then.

View attachment 119213

I would like to watch some of the games back then. Well, maybe just one. That's a lot of missed shots. Must've just been up and down.

I would like to watch some of the games back then. Well, maybe just one. That's a lot of missed shots. Must've just been up and down.

I’d bet they had not developed the one handed push shot yet

A little more footage from the year before they won their title, the last season before the shot clock was introduced:
1954 NBA Finals - Minneapolis Lakers vs Syracuse Nationals

A ton of hook shots which is probably one contributor to poor shooting pct. In general, the jumpers look relatively similar to the form used today. More set shot type form, but still a reasonable facsimile.

How come nobody drove to the basket and went flailing to the ground after jumping into everybody and got rewarded with free throws every time like the advanced metrics genius James Harden?
Because teams in those days all had "enforcers" who wouldn't have taken too kindly to that.

How come nobody drove to the basket and went flailing to the ground after jumping into everybody and got rewarded with free throws every time like the advanced metrics genius James Harden?

I was curious, I had to look up the FT numbers now.

This was 54-55, the first season with the shot clock. The average team shot 38.5% from the field, scored 93.1 points. They took 86.4 shots per game, and 35.9 free throws (so for every 100 field goals attempted, there were 41.6 FT)

Last season, the average team scored 105.6 points per game, on 45.7 shooting. The average team took 85.4 shots per game, and 23.1 Free throws (so for every 100 field goals, there were 27 FT attempted).

Just to give you an idea the impact the shot clock had, the season before, the average team scored 79.5 points per game on 75.4 shots, 37.2% shooting.

By 1960, the average team was scoring 115 points per game on 108.7 (!) field goals per game.

No, I don't really have a point here.

I was curious, I had to look up the FT numbers now.

This was 54-55, the first season with the shot clock. The average team shot 38.5% from the field, scored 93.1 points. They took 86.4 shots per game, and 35.9 free throws (so for every 100 field goals attempted, there were 41.6 FT)

Last season, the average team scored 105.6 points per game, on 45.7 shooting. The average team took 85.4 shots per game, and 23.1 Free throws (so for every 100 field goals, there were 27 FT attempted).

Just to give you an idea the impact the shot clock had, the season before, the average team scored 79.5 points per game on 75.4 shots, 37.2% shooting.

By 1960, the average team was scoring 115 points per game on 108.7 (!) field goals per game.

No, I don't really have a point here.
The circumstances under which free throws are attempted in the NBA have changed a lot over the years. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure offensive players were once awarded one shot on a non-shooting foul and two shots for a foul committed by the defense in the backcourt. When teams were over the foul limit in a quarter, I believe players were given two free throws to make one on one shot fouls, and "three to make two" on two shot fouls.

I don't know what any of that means, other than the rules of the past may have resulted in more free throws being attempted.

Last edited:
The circumstances under which free throws are attempted in the NBA have changed a lot over the years. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure offensive players were once awarded one shot on a non-shooting foul and two shots for a foul committed by the defense in the backcourt. When teams were over the foul limit in a quarter, I believe players were given two free throws to make one on one shot fouls, and "three to make two" on two shot fouls.

I don't know what any of that means, other than the rules of the past may have resulted in more free throws being attempted.

3 for 2 is a really good point, it must've resulted in more FTA.

Can Oshae post up?

It seems to me that asking him to score via the dribble drive right now is not putting him in the best position to succeed.
yeah I think we could and should post him up - esp when he's the 3 in our offense with usually a smaller guy guarding him

Burgan and Hughes were worse. Oshae skys for rebounds but plays and shoots below the rim when driving to the hoop. Very odd.

TONS of season left but man, we need Oshae to shoot at least closer to 40%.

Since 8-14 game 1...

6-19
3-15
2-12
5-15

Not sure I remember a player like this who is not a guard.

As has been stated dozens of times... the ceiling of this season largely banks on Tyus playing all acc and Oshae improving upon his freshman campaign, which includes a big jump in inefficiency especially inside.

It’s going to get harder than Morehead state and colgate.

His career effective fg% is 40%. Cooney’s was 47 and Gmac 48.

Yeah, I wasn’t real concerned last year because he was a freshman forced into a bigger role than he was ready for. It’s still very early, but I am concerned at the lack of improvement shown so far.

Hopefully it comes around. He’s out there an awful lot. Need him to put the ball in the hole with a reasonable level of efficiency.

He’s building the new dome one brick at a time.

It is mind boggling to watch especially when he started the season off taking his time and making shots. As soon as he started missing . . . . . well it was back to the spastic throws at the backboard. I watch and the phrase “be quick but don’t hurry” comes to mind. He also seems incapable of leaping and releasing a soft controlled shot at the peak of his ascent. He’s constantly shooting on the way up or down.

Last edited: