Is the big 10 all that? | Syracusefan.com

Is the big 10 all that?

SouthernCuse

Starter
Just asking the experts for some bracket help.
All I know is the B10 crushed the ACC in the challenge, was it all the way back in Nov? Dec? That kind of seemed to establish them as a superior league.
But its been a weird year, as everyone knows, with less crossover play than usual, so will they play up to seed?

Thanks in advance.

big10acc1.PNG

Tuesday ACC went 4-0, so I guess I was affected by paying attention only on the day when Cuse played

The Big 10 always seems to be overrated in the beginning of the year in both football and basketball. All of the good to mediocre teams are ranked preseason so in conference play they either get a boost for beating a ranked team or they don’t get downgraded much for losing to a ranked team. Basically any team that doesn’t lose to Rutgers (this year in BB notwithstanding) is deserving of a top 20 ranking in the media’s eyes. It doesn’t seem to matter that they’ve only won two NCs in football and one in basketball over the past 25 years.

Sure the Big 10 has come up short as far as championships. That doesn't mean they haven't had some good teams - they just haven't had the best team.

I would be surprised if Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State and Iowa don't make up a quarter of the Sweet 16 this year and we'll see from there. I think Illinois is really strong. I don't see Iowa getting past Gonzaga. Michigan without Livers will be interesting. He's a good player.

Just asking the experts for some bracket help.
All I know is the B10 crushed the ACC in the challenge, was it all the way back in Nov? Dec? That kind of seemed to establish them as a superior league.
But its been a weird year, as everyone knows, with less crossover play than usual, so will they play up to seed?

Thanks in advance.
I think the Illini and Ohio State are contenders to win it all. Michigan would have been but losing Livers is a big blow. Iowa, IMHO, is a step below all three of those teams.

The Big 10 always seems to be overrated in the beginning of the year in both football and basketball. All of the good to mediocre teams are ranked preseason so in conference play they either get a boost for beating a ranked team or they don’t get downgraded much for losing to a ranked team. Basically any team that doesn’t lose to Rutgers (this year in BB notwithstanding) is deserving of a top 20 ranking in the media’s eyes. It doesn’t seem to matter that they’ve only won two NCs in football and one in basketball over the past 25 years.

The metrics and by extension the seedings based on the metrics, have nothing to do with the polls. How conferences are seeded and how many teams they get in are fairly determinable by the time January 1 hits, This is because the metrics are so heavily influenced by how a conference performs as a group before that date.

The Big10 killed it in out-of-conference play last year and this year, and that results in making it easier for its teams to get more Q1 and Q2 wins in conference play

Similarly in the 2018/2019 season the Big10 crapped the bed in out of conference play, and a team that went 13-5 in conference play missed the NCAA tournament. (I think the BIG only got 4 teams in a mere two years ago)

All that being said, while the Big 10 got the # of teams it deserved in this year based on the metrics, and would have deserved 10 or 11 teams last year, we have found out for all conferences that those that get a high number in are not necessarily those that do the best.

Last edited:
I think the Illini and Ohio State are contenders to win it all. Michigan would have been but losing Livers is a big blow. Iowa, IMHO, is a step below all three of those teams.
Iowa did win at Ohio State by 16 just 2 weeks ago. Personally I think Michigan was the best of those 4 teams until Livers got hurt. Now I think Illinois is clearly the best out of the 4 and the other 3 teams are about even.

I think the B1G is very strong and that the Big 12 is their equal particularly re the top six. All of the other conferences are a few notches below. I fully expect these two conferences to dominate this tournament.

Nothing to do with the B1G but I'm surprised at how many people are sleeping on Baylor. On the flipside I've heard a lot of people making the case for FSU. I was listening to Dakich and Mark Packer on ESPNU radio. Dakich says "am I the only guy that isn't on Baylor?" Packer says "yeah their inability to close out Ok State in the Big 12 tournament was a red flag for me." They both went on to say they like FSU to make the F4. Hmm... 3-3 in their last six, whooped by ND, scraped by UNC and didn't win the regular season or ACCT in a down year for the ACC. Okee-dokee

Iowa did win at Ohio State by 16 just 2 weeks ago. Personally I think Michigan was the best of those 4 teams until Livers got hurt. Now I think Illinois is clearly the best out of the 4 and the other 3 teams are about even.
I did not see that game.

My take on Iowa is that they can shoot anyone out of the gym but they struggle defensively and lack some pure athleticism.

I did not see that game.

My take on Iowa is that they can shoot anyone out of the gym but they struggle defensively and lack some pure athleticism.
Ohio State is also not an elite defensive team. Their strength is on offense. But they’re really struggling in all facets against Oral Roberts today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom