Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

That would be a big risk. So, I have this big scoop. I'm going to hold it and risk another media source scooping me? Only a complete dope would do that.
Depends on how confident they that their source is only releasing docs/information to them. IMO, ESPN’s source of specific info is different than Yahoo’s. But they’re getting the same general info. What dribbles out is what they’ve been given. Though it seems everyone is of the (educated?) opinion that more will come out.

I’m 30/70 that Ford and Thamel are withholding specific stuff that they have, or that their source is only feeding them docs a few at a time.

No one forces a kid to play college ball. BBall is an international sport. Take your talents elsewhere.
And, I wonder if some will start taking that option. Just sayin'.

How do you get compensated for your work?

Benefits in kind or cash?

ETA: scholarships have some value, but they are not money.

Compensation can be anything with value, not just money. But as Finwad said, fine pay the players but let them pay the cost of tuition. I'll bet it equals out or they come out at a loss.

That would be a big risk. So, I have this big scoop. I'm going to hold it and risk another media source scooping me? Only a complete dope would do that.
Thamel has a source in the SDNY.
ESPN doesn’t have that source.
Thamel got the actual documents or portions of them.
Schalbach got from another source on Miller. If Thamel had Miller on tap he writes it already.
Thamel and Forde have more parts of this story and they will release more by the day/week.

I think if we end up paying these kids I think 1- there should be a cap on how much they can make 2- they should report it and pay taxes on it 3- they shouldn't get a scholarship to school they should pay there own way.

And, I wonder if some will start taking that option. Just sayin'.

Going to play overseas has it's own brand of warts. Yeah, you can get paid but it comes with a lot of other less than ideal realities.

Going to play overseas has it's own brand of warts. Yeah, you can get paid but it comes with a lot of other less than ideal realities.

So? Honestly, and not trying to be an a.., but so what? The player has an option.

Thamel has a source in the SDNY.
ESPN doesn’t have that source.
Thamel got the actual documents or portions of them.
Schalbach got from another source on Miller. If Thamel had Miller on tap he writes it already.
Thamel and Forde have more parts of this story and they will release more by the day/week.
You are presupposing that their source is the only source with information. It isn't.

No one forces a kid to play college ball. BBall is an international sport. Take your talents elsewhere.

So if you wanted to be a welder @ 18, but due to some arbitrary rule that had nothing to do with actually being a welder, could not be one until 19, your advice would be to go to suck it up and go to Europe or China or South America for a year?
These age restrictions are pure BS, designed to save owners from bad general managers. If a kid isn't ready, don't draft him. No one is forcing any team to draft a high schooler.

And nobody is forcing anyone to play basketball or play basketball and go to school. If you do not like it become a welder.

So? Honestly, and not trying to be an a.., but so what? The player has an option.

Of course they do. My only point is that I don't think there will be an explosion of kids going overseas to play just because they can't get paid by an agent/school/show company or whatever. I could care less because there will be plenty of talent that would elect for college over having to live in Turkey away from friends and family.

You are presupposing that their source is the only source with information. It isn't.
ESPN has a source no doubt but they don’t have the info from the case file that Yahoo does.

Yahoo has more stuff ready. Both sides as you know have to go through editors and legal before publishing especially this stuff. Yahoo will release it when they can get maximum attention.
Ronan Farrow had his piece on Weinstein for months written but released it only when he finally heard someone else was snooping around it and New Yorker agreed to run it.

I think if we end up paying these kids I think 1- there should be a cap on how much they can make 2- they should report it and pay taxes on it 3- they shouldn't get a scholarship to school they should pay there own way.
So SU pays them about $110,000 per year so that, after taxes, they can pay to attend SU? So now they are employees. As employees, they will need family medical, retirement contributions, plus matching FICA contributions and worker's comp. Are they at will employees or can they only be fired for cause? They will of course, now be in the union.
It would be fun to watch that play out.

Last edited:
Compensation can be anything with value, not just money. But as Finwad said, fine pay the players but let them pay the cost of tuition. I'll bet it equals out or they come out at a loss.
So, if we pay kids, but make them pay their way to school, IMO this will kill all the private D1 schools, athletics-wise. Who's going to pay $70K to go to Syracuse when they can pay $20K - $30K (in-state cost) to go to State U? State schools win twice - get kids who may normally go to a private school, and keep good local kids home. Battle and Sidibe save ~$40K by going to Rutgers than playing for SU.

This is just an example for illustrative purposes, because of course these players would never play for Rutgers. :D

So if you wanted to be a welder @ 18, but due to some arbitrary rule that had nothing to do with actually being a welder, could not be one until 19, your advice would be to go to suck it up and go to Europe or China or South America for a year?
These age restrictions are pure BS, designed to save owners from bad general managers. If a kid isn't ready, don't draft him. No one is forcing any team to draft a high schooler.

Tuttle, that rule is an NBA rule. And I agree with you wholeheartedly on that. However, we're talking about colleges paying players, which I don't necessarily agree that they aren't already being paid.

As for your question regarding a welder, my answer would be yes. Many countries have different age laws than the US does. People are free to attempt to work in those other countries, if they so feel inclined.

So, if we pay kids, but make them pay their way to school, IMO this will kill all the private D1 schools, athletics-wise. Who's going to pay $70K to go to Syracuse when they can pay $20K - $30K (in-state cost) to go to State U? State schools win twice - get kids who may normally go to a private school, and keep good local kids home. Battle and Sidibe save ~$40K by going to Rutgers than playing for SU.

This is just an example for illustrative purposes, because of course these players would never play for Rutgers. :D

And that's my point. They are already getting paid in the form of a free education. 1% of all athletes play professionally. The rest use their degree to further their career, a degree that as most other students would have had to been paid for by them, their parents or debt.

So SU pays them about $110,000 per year so that, after taxes, they can pay to attend SU? So now they are employees. As employees, they will need family medical, retirement contributions, plus matching FICA contributions and worker's comp. Are they at will employees or can they only be fired for cause? They will of course, now be in the union.
It would be fun to watch that play out.

The Labor Board has already ruled they aren't employees. Otherwise, any student getting a scholarship would be an employee. Believe it or not, other groups of students other than athletes bring in money and acclaim to universities. Have you seen the research grant money that is thrown at top research schools by governments and corporations?

ESPN has a source no doubt but they don’t have the info from the case file that Yahoo does.

Yahoo has more stuff ready. Both sides as you know have to go through editors and legal before publishing especially this stuff. Yahoo will release it when they can get maximum attention.
Ronan Farrow had his piece on Weinstein for months written but released it only when he finally heard someone else was snooping around it and New Yorker agreed to run it.
Exactly. Yahoo is ahead and may stay ahead. But others, ESPN and others are working their sources. Michael Isakoff (sp) was way ahead of everyone on the Lewinsky story and at the end, didn't even break it. Very competitive business. Others besides Yahoo are working it hard. When Yahoo gets the clearance from legal, they have to print it or risk being scooped on their own story.