Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Well of course!! The Carter's are good Mississippi Southerners they went to the illegal dinner with the Agent and didn't actually eat anything, so they didn't actually get an improper benefit.

We should have tried the....well Fab left school before the end of the semester so he didn't actually get a grade in that class that they helped him write the paper for ergo there wasn't actually any cheating.

Last edited:
Well of course!! The Carter's are good Mississippi Southerners they went to the illegal dinner with the Agent and didn't actually eat anything, so they didn't actually get an improper benefit.

We should have tried the...well Fab left school before the end of the semester so he didn't actually get a grade in that class that they helped him right the paper for ergo there wasn't actually any cheating.
I guess it was a nothing burger.

We should have tried the...well Fab left school before the end of the semester so he didn't actually get a grade in that class that they helped him right the paper for ergo there wasn't actually any cheating.
So they agreed to meet with someone they didn't know for what purpose?

And then they left for what reason?

Money not right?

So his parents went to dinner with a complete stranger. Father didn't like him and left, she just stayed there trying to be decent didn't eat anything and the agent bought 108 dollars worth of food by himself. BS. Duke should be forced to forfeit that win over to us for having an ineligible player in the game

So they agreed to meet with someone they didn't know for what purpose?

And then they left for what reason?

Money not right?

In the chat I sarcastically suggested that the Duke internal investigation consisted of asking Carter about the dinner. As it turns out that is pretty much what happened. You can't make this stuff up.

Why would the Carter family lie? (sarcasm)

Longhorn Menu

The most expensive cut of meat on the Longhorn menu is $29.99. Simple math would suggest that the agent in question ate three Porterhouses for his $100 plus dinner.

Sounds legit.....

The NCAA is already backing down, and the playbook for handling this “scandal” is coming into focus.
(1) Coaches & programs deny any link between agents, recruits, and programs. And (2), NCAA declare that they are “monitoring” the situation, and will review after all the facts come out.
IOW- unless you pull a “Miller” and get busted on tape discussing payouts, you’re good to go.

The media is putting this out little by little for clicks instead of really blowing the lid off the entire thing. Get it all out there now so the tournament isn't played with teams that are ineligible.

Both came off phone and out of touch. Love guys who make millions who talk about the I'll of money and how much kids need to get by. I'll bet each of JBs kids have cars that cost double the max Pell Grant which athlete's can survive on. Coach answer should be " we play by rules we are given" . These coaches crack me up.

What is “survive on”?

The media is putting this out little by little for clicks instead of really blowing the lid off the entire thing. Get it all out there now so the tournament isn't played with teams that are ineligible.

How would you know if they have everything to put out there.

The NCAAs biggest immediate concern is probably that they not do something now that completely devalues this season's tournament product between now and April giving the networks a claim that they didn't get what they paid for.

Can you imagine if the NCAA started to whilly nilly suspend players, coaches and declare teams ineligible before they have the full picture and there ends up being evidence warranting suspensions and ineligibility for a significant number of the teams that are supposed to be tournament favorites this season. Once the games are played and people have watched them, no matter how dark the cloud hanging over them is, the NCAA will be owed its money. If on the other hand the tournament ends up being matchups between a load of sub .500 mid-majors they aren't going to get paid.

So many diminish the value of a scholarship. Let the athletes make their own money and pay their own tuition. Because apparently they could all make way more than the education costs.

Or should they get a free education and paid whatever the free market allows?

Do you know what % of the country right now would beg for a scholarship or no real loans after graduation to pay off?

So many diminish the value of a scholarship. Let the athletes make their own money and pay their own tuition.
Colleges shouldn’t be a minor league system for professional sports. It’s a racket and tuition/scholarships aren’t money.

Colleges shouldn’t be a minor league system for professional sports. It’s a racket and tuition/scholarships aren’t money.
Oh no? My wife's student loans vs mine at the same school aren't different bc of scholarships? The real money paying that loan isn't real money? I'm confused.

Do you know what percentage of college athletes go pro? The potential of a degree has more value by a large margin all things considered.

Oh no? My wife's student loans vs mine at the same school aren't different bc of scholarships? The real money paying that loan isn't real money? I'm confused.
How do you get compensated for your work?

Benefits in kind or cash?

ETA: scholarships have some value, but they are not money.

How do you get compensated for your work?

Benefits in kind or cash?
What does that have to do with anything, that's my job. I also received scholarships, which hold monetary value, that's the point.

Edit - literally 98% of NCAA athletes will never draw a professional athletics paycheck - I'd be willing to bet that those who received academic scholarships found monetary value in it.

By a staggering margin, a scholarship is the most value any collegiate athlete will ever earn from their athletic ability.

Remove the one and done rule. Stipend college athletes and let them draw pay from their likeness in a free market system. You'll earn what your likeness is worth to the brand based off of demand.

Unfortunately hundreds of high schoolers annually will make ill advised decisions that will exclude them from ever being able to earn a college education through scholarship. But, that's their problem and will help reduce the blatant cheating that currently plagues the NCAA.

Last edited:
So many diminish the value of a scholarship. Let the athletes make their own money and pay their own tuition. Because apparently they could all make way more than the education costs.

Or should they get a free education and paid whatever the free market allows?

Do you know what % of the country right now would beg for a scholarship or no real loans after graduation to pay off?

We need to stop pretending that these kids that will play either in the NBA or pro ball somewhere are treated as students first. It was a trick to avoid paying the kids from the beginning.

You want to see how much they are worth? Open up the regulations to allow these kids to get paid whatever they can negotiate like you said above. You want to see how much the colleges value the "student" part of "student/athlete", allow them to negotiate how many/which classes they get to take. The system is a joke right now.

Honestly, if RJ Barrett told Duke that he'd come to play for $300K, no tuition, free housing and he'd take golf as his one class, they would sprint to have him signed that day, if it were legal. If RJ Barrett wanted to take classes and demanded he could take PoliSci, Econ, History, etc, they would bump kids from the classes to get him in.

The payments and quid pro quos have been going on forever. We've all just accepted it because we enjoy watching Syracuse basketball (and some enjoy college basketball, overall). But this is an under the table semi-pro league. That is what it is.