Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

What's your solution? It seems like the current one isn't working, except for coaches and administrators.

This whole thing is about fitting square pegs into round holes. Every realistic solution, except pure amateur athletic fantasyland, has problems. But that's what happens when massive mental gymnastics are required to justify the existence of massive rigged cartel.

Pay everybody, or pay nobody.

When a recruit asks "How much am I going to get paid from jersey sales at Syracuse? Because I've already been guaranteed X amount of money in weekly sales if I commit to a BiG or SEC school" what does Dino or JB tell him?
We don’t get these players anyway in football.
In basketball our fanbase would buy player X jerseys if they came.

The jersey sales isn’t going to be a lot of money it’s just money the players earn for their schools.

They should get a cut of what they earn for their schools.

Then we might as well not even call it college basketball.

Well, obviously. But what do you call kids getting 100K to play for a multimillionaire coach at a program that brings in millions of dollars every year and play in an organization that makes billions of dollars?

The jersey sales isn’t going to be a lot of money it’s just money the players earn for their schools.

How many middle aged men do you see wearing SU basketball jerseys at games?

Personally, I think getting a gift of a $250,000 education is payment enough, but I guess that's just me.

You want a car and a free paycheck on top of that?

They pay back their "education" before they even get on the court for the second game. Spare me. When I see people anti-compensation, many of their reasons are rooted in jealousy that they couldn't go to school at a discounted rate. As Bomani Jones says, you should have been good at something. They're not recruited for the classroom. They're recruited because they can throw a ball and slam dunk one through a basket. They can be released from their scholarship at anytime by a coach who doesn't want to deal with them anymore or because they don't fit their scheme like Babers and Marrone have done when they got here. Coach can have a radio show, a television show, car dealership sponsorship, a deal from a shoe company, but a player making money from their own likeness is too much. How about you go to your job today, only wear the company gear and your only compensation is medical benefits and travel on the company dime, but to wherever they tell you to go for work.

Personally, I think getting a gift of a $250,000 education is payment enough, but I guess that's just me.

Yes. Coaches are outrageously overpaid. Administrators take in ungodly amounts of money. Yes. Players should get something in addition.

Administrators and coaches can send their own children to college tuition free. Should we take away their salary?

OK - so, if I buy a jersey for my kid, football or hoop 44, who gets the money. More importantly, what if I buy it at Manny's as opposed to the SU bookstore, or the knockoff guy down the street from Mannys? Or just go to Amazon?

People talk about jersey sales like it's the NFL or NBA, it isn't.

Well, obviously. But what do you call kids getting 100K to play for a multimillionaire coach at a program that brings in millions of dollars every year and play in an organization that makes billions of dollars?
I agree. Not sure I have the answer.

OK - so, if I buy a jersey for my kid, football or hoop 44, who gets the money. More importantly, what if I buy it at Manny's as opposed to the SU bookstore, or the knockoff guy down the street from Mannys? Or just go to Amazon?

People talk about jersey sales like it's the NFL or NBA, it isn't.
If its not a player then no player royalty. Pretty simple.

I am talking about situations where Syracuse #3's were sold and GMac got nothing or #5's and Fair got nothing or #10's and Flynn got nothing.

And how is that working out?

And that scholarship is not a $250k "gift" no matter how often you write that it is for a couple of reasons. It has a nominal value (highly variable) and a real value. My wife works for SU and as part of her benefit package she gets free tuition for our dependents. We don't have dependents. Therefore that portion of her benefit package has a real value of exactly $0 to her.

Last edited:

I am talking about situations where Syracuse #3's were sold and GMac got nothing or #5's and Fair got nothing or #10's and Flynn got nothing.

Sold where? Does Nike or whomever kick it back?

There are only a couple of guys since jerseys were a a thing that sold in volume, and Melo doesn't need the money. Saw more 15s on Wednesday than the rest put together.

And that scholarship is not a $250k "gift" no matter how often you write that it is for a couple of reasons. It has a nominal value (highly variable) and a real value. My wife works for SU and as part of her benefit package she gets free tuition for our dependents. We don't have dependents. Therefore that portion of her benefit package is has a real value of exactly $0 to her.

I have a couple of kids you can adopt when the time is right...

They pay back their "education" before they even get on the court for the second game. Spare me. When I see people anti-compensation, many of their reasons are rooted in jealousy that they couldn't go to school at a discounted rate. As Bomani Jones says, you should have been good at something. They're not recruited for the classroom. They're recruited because they can throw a ball and slam dunk one through a basket. They can be released from their scholarship at anytime by a coach who doesn't want to deal with them anymore or because they don't fit their scheme like Babers and Marrone have done when they got here. Coach can have a radio show, a television show, car dealership sponsorship, a deal from a shoe company, but a player making money from their own likeness is too much. How about you go to your job today, only wear the company gear and your only compensation is medical benefits and travel on the company dime, but to wherever they tell you to go for work.
Agree and again - are we totally sold that these players are getting the maximum education they can? With their schedule and job? UNC is not alone.

How many middle aged men do you see wearing SU basketball jerseys at games?
Middle aged men aren't the only people buying products. Students go to the bookstore and buy jerseys. Go to Manny's and buy jerseys.

I said when I was in college my group of friends all students all bought jerseys. They sold #39 Walter Reyes, #1 Damien Rhodes, #44 legend, and the following season they sold #5 for Joe Fields.

Those jerseys were bought by kids and other fans.

Why shouldn't those players get a cut.

The bookstore sold a crazy amount of these in 2005 when we changed jerseys.
syracuse-nike-elite-authentic-jersey_1_d82d1454d0765df7172e2e4f10aa90d6.jpg

The player got no money from the sales. Why not?

Sold where? Does Nike or whomever kick it back?

There are only a couple of guys since jerseys were a a thing that sold in volume, and Melo doesn't need the money. Saw more 15s on Wednesday than the rest put together.
Nike would make a new jersey every year. Since the O'Bannon lawsuit a lot of schools have been more shwerd in this stuff because they are afraid of lawsuits but if the schools gave royalties to players they could sell the jerseys of the popular players and just give them their cut.

We aren't talking millions of dollars for the players we are talking thousands of dollars that the players themselves would be drawing for the schools. The reason you are seeing #15s is because Melo is popular and Nike can sell them to Syracuse fans and Melo is getting his cut.

Middle aged men aren't the only people buying products. Students go to the bookstore and buy jerseys. Go to Manny's and buy jerseys.

I said when I was in college my group of friends all students all bought jerseys. They sold #39 Walter Reyes, #1 Damien Rhodes, #44 legend, and the following season they sold #5 for Joe Fields.

Those jerseys were bought by kids and other fans.

Why shouldn't those players get a cut.

The bookstore sold a crazy amount of these in 2005 when we changed jerseys.
syracuse-nike-elite-authentic-jersey_1_d82d1454d0765df7172e2e4f10aa90d6.jpg

The player got no money from the sales. Why not?

Their names aren't on the backs of any of them (minus the Melo stuff since he's gone).

Anyway I'd be surprised if that happens.

And that scholarship is not a $250k "gift" no matter how often you write that it is for a couple of reasons. It has a nominal value (highly variable) and a real value. My wife works for SU and as part of her benefit package she gets free tuition for our dependents. We don't have dependents. Therefore that portion of her benefit package is has a real value of exactly $0 to her.
I mean if the education is the compensation then the players shouldn't play road games during the week and force them to miss classes.
I wonder how many classes each player misses?

The kids get some benefits no doubt but if the free education is the biggest compensation stop playing games during the week. Make the sport a Friday/Sunday sport.

Atleast with football the kids have 1 game a week and practice isn't really physical during the season.

An opportunity of a lifetime is what I'd call it. They get to showcase their talent for the future, one they'd most certainly not have if it wasn't for the school, league, etc. and the platform/stage it provides these kids. The young men get some incredible exposure for free, without any overhead to worry about. And, if their talent ends up insufficient to reap financial benefits in that future profession, they have a college degree to fall back on. A generous offering, one at SU worth nearly a quarter of a million dollars. These young men chose to go to college, no one forces them...they do so under their own free will.

Their names aren't on the backs of any of them (minus the Melo stuff since he's gone).

Anyway I'd be surprised if that happens.
You know when you are buying a #39 football jersey its Walter Reyes. Or buying a #3 basketball it was Gerry.

The non-names is how EA Sports kept making NCAA Football without naming the players.

Giving the kids a cut would allow the school to sell them and compensate the kids for their popularity.

This is in my closet.
Gee I wonder why I bought it.
upload_2018-2-26_10-44-37.jpeg

But if you pay them money, and require them to work for you as a condition, then they would be employees

Students already get money. It's not much, but they get it. Labor board has already deemed that the relationship, in spite of the consideration, is not that of an employee/employer.

Soccer, Volleyball, Swimming, Hockey, Lacrosse players don't deserve any of the money that Tyus Battle #25 or Eric Dungey #2 jersey sales generate.

That money would get split by revenue generating sports. So divide 150k by 100 and that would be an extra 1500 dollars a player.

I'll bet Title IX would squash that plan.

I think if you want to give players royalty, you have to have names on the back of the jersey's. I know a couple of older jersey's I used to "recycle" over the years because of no name written on the back.

If someone were to attend SU starting next fall, they would have to pay $70,000 for tuition, room & board, and books. That's for one year. If a student athlete is getting the same education for free, I'd say they were getting a nice gift.

If I buy a new car, it'll cost me $20,000. Doesn't matter if I pay cash, or I take out a loan and go into debt, the car has a cost. If someone gives you the same car for free, it's a gift.