Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Rules/laws can be rewritten. Or, alternatively, remove men's revenue athletics from the purview of the university and make them a sports academy subsidiary which would be subject to a whole new set of laws and regulations. The NCAA system is perfectly fine for non-revenue sports. It's this bizarre gray area where a very small subset of athletes are generating billions of dollars for a cartel and aren't allowed to negotiate anything or even get professional advice or cream cheese on a bagel. It's obvious that even recruits outside of the top-50 are worth way more to a school than a scholarship that they're not very interested in.

As opposed to now?

Why would Congress change Title IX? That's laughable.

My personal favored solution is to just separate out the revenue sports into a separate university sports academy. Players can be employees,be paid, take some classes if they want, invest in a college tuition savings program to earn their degree after their professional playing career is over, retirement savings, etc.

Shine a light on the system and the roaches scatter.

My personal favored solution is to just separate out the revenue sports into a separate university sports academy. Players can be employees,be paid, take some classes if they want, invest in a college tuition savings program to earn their degree after their professional playing career is over, retirement savings, etc.

Shine a light on the system and the roaches scatter.

See, that's a good idea. However, I can't imagine what the cost of that would be for a university.

I think if you want to give players royalty, you have to have names on the back of the jersey's. I know a couple of older jersey's I used to "recycle" over the years because of no name written on the back.
I know but when you bought a #3 you know why you were buying it.

Fine, but I'm willing to bet what side they would rule on.
I would file that lawsuit in the 5th circuit and I would feel like I have a chance. File in 2nd or 9th circuit I am losing.

If I buy a Syracuse shirt with a #4 on it is that because of Rony Seikaly or David Johnson? Just wondering.

I love that whenever the argument of making money off your likeness comes up here, the main sticking point is always "well, that doesn't help Syracuse" like that's the main issue with this debate

I think it would hell the basketball program tremendously and it’s not like we already aren’t expieriencing with a playing field that is currently fair. UNC and UK clearly already get special treatment.

If I buy a Syracuse shirt with a #4 on it is that because of Rony Seikaly or David Johnson? Just wondering.
It is when you bought it.

I have plenty of old jerseys that could be worn after the fact. Nike was selling the popular players of that season till O'Bannon forced them to change to 44.

If someone were to attend SU starting next fall, they would have to pay $70,000 for tuition, room & board, and books. That's for one year. If a student athlete is getting the same education for free, I'd say they were getting a nice gift.

If I buy a new car, it'll cost me $20,000. Doesn't matter if I pay cash, or I take out a loan and go into debt, the car has a cost. If someone gives you the same car for free, it's a gift.
If the players are laboring for something, how is it a gift? And if you can't sell it or transfer it, what is its value? Additionally, that car can be sold for $6k to one person, $18k to another and free to a third. Not all students pay full freight. The actual cost of attendance changes based on a number of different variables and admissions changes the cost to whatever they need to get the A) the most revenue and B) the most qualified students in the door.

Basically what the schools are doing is the same if your company earned $100k per employee, keep $50k for the office manager, and then they charge you $30k for letting you gain experience and $20k for the cubicle. If the scholarship should be all the compensation required, then why are schools/coaches arranging for payment and players opting to bolt to the NBA at the first opportunity?

I don't want college sports to become pro sports but the kids in revenue sports deserve more.
I am not saying treat them like employees but additional compensation shouldn't be hard for the NCAA and schools to come up with.

There is already a haves and haves not pool. The current system is broken there is no doubt IMO some of these players are getting paid under the table to go to schools in football and basketball.
Why can't parents get their travel and tickets paid for in every game they want to attend.

Reform is necessary.

See, that's a good idea. However, I can't imagine what the cost of that would be for a university.
Right and that is the problem with it. I don't think it would be anymore than a shifting of documents and some personnel. But those in power would lose something. Coaches would see a decrease in $$, administrators would lose out on money, and whatever revenue is shared with the university (all of those scholarships on the ledger as full freight) would be lost. Right now, for example with made up percentages, Universities are getting 80%, athletes are getting 10%, and the NCAA is getting 10%. The NCAA and Universities aren't interested in giving up anything on their end so they've created this huge rigorously controlled system to prevent the free flow of capital to those who generate a fair portion of its value. Any market that is tightly controlled to the point of distortion leads to black markets - which is what we've been seeing for decades.

I really hope all the facts come out before we start crucifying kids. Bridges could be making millions of dollars right now but came back to school. Now some may say he could come back to school because he was getting paid. But the amounts suggested thus far are miniscule especially compared to the amounts a high first round pick like Bridges could he making right now.

If you want to throw shade at nc state (dennis smith) or seton hall (whitehead) then I am fine with that. But need more facts before I throw guys like Bridges and Carter under the bus.

An opportunity of a lifetime is what I'd call it. They get to showcase their talent for the future, one they'd most certainly not have if it wasn't for the school, league, etc. and the platform/stage it provides these kids. The young men get some incredible exposure for free, without any overhead to worry about. And, if their talent ends up insufficient to reap financial benefits in that future profession, they have a college degree to fall back on. A generous offering, one at SU worth nearly a quarter of a million dollars. These young men chose to go to college, no one forces them...they do so under their own free will.

It is not free. Without them, there are no TV contracts or people buying tickets and merchandise which supports the program. It is a literal full-time job in addition to having to attend classes. What degree are they falling back on? Communication and Rhetorical Studies is the major that most football and basketball players are thrown into to remain eligible. How many players want to major in IT, Engineering and Finance, but can't because the coaching staffs know that their duties to the team won't allow many of them to focus in class. If you haven't already, watch the Richard Sherman interview at the SuperBowl where he addresses the same topic that many of us are going back and forth. This is a guy that went to Stanford and was told that he wasn't there for school. Alumni bases are extremely fickle especially when a player leaves early. They have to go to college because Europe is no guarantee. I know people who have played over there that never received a dime of compensation because of the lack of a Player Association.

Ask IMG Academy. They're a media conglomerate with a division dedicated to agents that has a "school" in Florida which is purely for talent cultivation.

They pay back their "education" before they even get on the court for the second game. Spare me. When I see people anti-compensation, many of their reasons are rooted in jealousy that they couldn't go to school at a discounted rate. As Bomani Jones says, you should have been good at something. They're not recruited for the classroom. They're recruited because they can throw a ball and slam dunk one through a basket. They can be released from their scholarship at anytime by a coach who doesn't want to deal with them anymore or because they don't fit their scheme like Babers and Marrone have done when they got here. Coach can have a radio show, a television show, car dealership sponsorship, a deal from a shoe company, but a player making money from their own likeness is too much. How about you go to your job today, only wear the company gear and your only compensation is medical benefits and travel on the company dime, but to wherever they tell you to go for work.

If they want to get paid, tell them to go pro. End of argument. I know plenty of kids who would love a full ride scholarship. Let them play four years...

It is not free. Without them, there are no TV contracts or people buying tickets and merchandise which supports the program. It is a literal full-time job in addition to having to attend classes. What degree are they falling back on? Communication and Rhetorical Studies is the major that most football and basketball players are thrown into to remain eligible. How many players want to major in IT, Engineering and Finance, but can't because the coaching staffs know that their duties to the team won't allow many of them to focus in class. If you haven't already, watch the Richard Sherman interview at the SuperBowl where he addresses the same topic that many of us are going back and forth. This is a guy that went to Stanford and was told that he wasn't there for school. Alumni bases are extremely fickle especially when a player leaves early. They have to go to college because Europe is no guarantee. I know people who have played over there that never received a dime of compensation because of the lack of a Player Association.

They don't have to go to college, they choose to go...period! They do so because in that moment, it's the easiest and most convenient path for them to potential future success. The university provides them this vehicle to do so. 'Guarantees.' Well, welcome to the rest of the world, where there are no guarantees.

If they want to get paid, tell them to go pro. End of argument. I know plenty of kids who would love a full ride scholarship. Let them play four years...

Then tell those kids to be good at something that provides value to the university. This simply comes down to jealousy that you or other posters couldn't go to school for free or can't afford to because you didn't do a good job of preparing for your child's future.

one thing we talked about was whether Forde and Thamel were holding things back. It is important to note that they didn't break the Miller story. ESPN did. So if Peter and Forde had it, they were scooped on their own story. That is high on the list of the worst things that can happen to you as a reporter. I think they have to be smarter than that.