Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Just went to a D3 basketball game. Before the game wanted to buy a soda at a vending machine, couldnt figure out how to work it. Nice young man comes up and says that he has unlimited swipes and he would swipe me a free soda. Thanked him profusely and also asked him how he has free unlimited swipes (knowing for my college kids i have to pay for their meal plan and swipes). He told me he had essentially a full academic scholarship (and im assuming free swipes). Great for him, very nice young man!
So then i notice the same young man went up to the game and stood by the doors , as security, with about 5 other college aged kids doing same. I said to him: great work study job!? He said, yes it is!
Then proceeded to watch 2 teams bust their arse for 3 hours, went down to the final shot. None of them being paid work study for those 3 hours of sweat and competition...While 6 kids were paid to stand by the door and do next to nothing.
Does that make much sense?

Then tell those kids to be good at something that provides value to the university. This simply comes down to jealousy that you or other posters couldn't go to school for free or can't afford to because you didn't do a good job of preparing for your child's future.

I call BS. You think $240K isn’t enough compensation for these kids. I happen to think it’s more than enough.

If players want to get paid, they can go pro. It’s their choice to go to college and they know the rules. If they are that good, they’ll get drafted after a year or two.

And one other thing is that I’d argue we were better off with four year players than we’ve been with one or two and dones.

I don't think the kids should get paid like professionals.

I just think football and basketball players earn their schools millions of dollars and should given more than the non-revenue sports who aren't making money.

Don't pay them salaries but give them more like stipends, a cut of profits from jersey sales, travel and tickets paid for guardians/parents.
Simple stuff if Paschal Chukwu gets 5,000 dollars in extra stuff than players on men's lacrosse or ladies volleyball sorry your sports aren't generating profits.

This stuff wouldn't stop agents the NCAA and schools need to fix that problem.

I don't think the kids should get paid like professionals.

I just think football and basketball players earn their schools millions of dollars and should given more than the non-revenue sports who aren't making money.

Don't pay them salaries but give them more like stipends, a cut of profits from jersey sales, travel and tickets paid for guardians/parents.
Simple stuff if Paschal Chukwu gets 5,000 dollars in extra stuff than players on men's lacrosse or ladies volleyball sorry your sports aren't generating profits.

This stuff wouldn't stop agents the NCAA and schools need to fix that problem.

Get rid of the 1 and done, let kids go pro at 18, let others go to the NBADL league or europe. The ones who go to college need to play by the rules. You can tweak those rules so kids get more spending cash, fringe benefits (travel, maybe a free education for a future sibling, perhaps the schools in certain conferences could create a consortium where kids can go to other schools for free for post graduate, etc). there are plenty of benefits that would make the scholarship worth more than the huge # they are getting already.

Certainly ALSACs i agree with tweaking other stuff like the EA Sports money, jersey sales, etc. I feel like we need a real collegiate convention of ideas to fix these problems. paying them outright will be a disaster either with direct cash or via marketing. it just brings the boosters closer.

I call BS. You think $240K isn’t enough compensation for these kids. I happen to think it’s more than enough.

If players want to get paid, they can go pro. It’s their choice to go to college and they know the rules. If they are that good, they’ll get drafted after a year or two.

And one other thing is that I’d argue we were better off with four year players than we’ve been with one or two and dones.
I agree. And because of their sport and level of popularity, as well as talent, they are getting FULL rides. An equally talented lacrosse player gets a partial.

Yes. Coaches are outrageously overpaid. Administrators take in ungodly amounts of money. Yes. Players should get something in addition.

Administrators and coaches can send their own children to college tuition free. Should we take away their salary?
Huh?

Get rid of the 1 and done, let kids go pro at 18, let others go to the NBADL league or europe. The ones who go to college need to play by the rules. You can tweak those rules so kids get more spending cash, fringe benefits (travel, maybe a free education for a future sibling, perhaps the schools in certain conferences could create a consortium where kids can go to other schools for free for post graduate, etc). there are plenty of benefits that would make the scholarship worth more than the huge # they are getting already.

Certainly ALSACs i agree with tweaking other stuff like the EA Sports money, jersey sales, etc. I feel like we need a real collegiate convention of ideas to fix these problems. paying them outright will be a disaster either with direct cash or via marketing. it just brings the boosters closer.

I think that your first paragraph is the only viable solution.

Huh?

It was in response to a post about a scholarship being enough - what more do they want.. a paycheck?

Administrators/coaches get paychecks... what more do they want? Tuition free for their kids and spouse?

It's in jest. I am in favor of college athletes being paid.

Eric Dickerson was on fox sports radio this morning. Saying how the black players are making all this money for the white guys at the NCAA...called it slavery...wow.

He also called out a slew of schools who were paying back in his day...talked about the car he got, the house, spending money each month and an annuity.

The players shouldn't be paid but Archie Miller can get $125,000 for this...

"...$125,000 for any nonconference schedule that, when finalized, does not include more than one regular-season opponent with an RPI rating of 300 or above, with ratings determined by the previous season's final number, per espn.com."

It was in response to a post about a scholarship being enough - what more do they want.. a paycheck?

Administrators/coaches get paychecks... what more do they want? Tuition free for their kids and spouse?

It's in jest. I am in favor of college athletes being paid.
Honestly you might as well just get rid of college sports then. I could not think of a worse idea.

The players shouldn't be paid but Archie Miller can get $125,000 for this...

"...$125,000 for any nonconference schedule that, when finalized, does not include more than one regular-season opponent with an RPI rating of 300 or above, with ratings determined by the previous season's final number, per espn.com."
He’s paid because he, in part, his presence generates revenue. The players, as a collective, do. But outside of local markets most people don’t know What these players are. Especially in football.

Honestly you might as well just get rid of college sports then. I could not think of a worse idea.

...that is my point lol. Do you not see how corrupt the revenue generating sports are?

He’s paid because he, in part, his presence generates revenue. The players, as a collective, do. But outside of local markets most people don’t know What these players are. Especially in football.

Alabama's football strength coach makes $525,000 a year.

Outside of the weight room no one knows that guys name

It’s insane talk imho. JB nailed it this weekend. People proposing to pay players don’t understand how to solve the problem.
His interview was posted on our b-ball board, too. It was excellent! I agree with him, no matter what is done, no matter how much we give the players, someone will still do what's being exposed now. It's never enough money.

...that is my point lol. Do you not see how corrupt the revenue generating sports are?
How corrupt?

Teams buy players? So what. Does it really guarantee anything? Honestly I’m more surprised any of this news is revelatory to anyone.

How corrupt?

Teams buy players? So what. Does it really guarantee anything? Honestly I’m more surprised any of this news is revelatory to anyone.

I am not surprised with teams or agents buying players.

What I laugh at is how college athletics spends it's money on any and everything except the players.

Don't get me wrong - I love college basketball and football - but the business is gross.

Alabama's football strength coach makes $525,000 a year.

Outside of the weight room no one knows that guys name
Who says they’re not worth that? Who sets values on coaches?

I am not surprised with teams or agents buying players.

What I laugh at is how college athletics spends it's money on any and everything except the players.

Don't get me wrong - I love college basketball and football - but the business is gross.
So make the penalties stronger. If you violate amateurism rules or someone around your players does, you are banned for life. That would change things in a hurry. Sean Miller is going to lose millions because of a few hundred grand to some undeserving kid. You don’t think that consequence might deter that?

Sean Miller is going to lose millions because of a few hundred grand to some undeserving kid.
LOL.

Edited to add: I really wish I knew why people hate the athletes so much. Is it because they're seemingly taking advantage of the system (the same system where they're getting company scrip and coaches and hangers on are getting millions).

It's closed rigged market. Government/cartel regulation to prevent compensation going to subset whose labor is involved in the generation of revenue leads directly to black market activities. More laws doesn't solve anything.
the-more-you-tighten-your-grip-tarkin-the-more-systems-will-slip-through-your-fingers.jpg

Last edited: