Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

There was *ZERO* thought within the basketball program that Melo would stay for more than one season. I know that the staff said he at least considered staying for a second year (and I believe them, he genuinely loved playing at SU from everything I have heard), but they knew from the day he stepped foot on campus that he would be a lottery pick in the next draft.
He did seriously consider staying, but JB told him it was time for him to go.

I love the racism angle when the rules come from the nba and nfl. The nba owners want it to avoid paying huge dollars for high schoolers who dont pan out. Its like any large corporation hiring an exec based on how they did in college. Its ok to want a little more evidence.

Ive always been a bit confused by nbapa over this issue. More unproven young kids on nba rosters, the less room for experienced vets.
In exchange for being 19 years old rule the PA got an extra roster spot in 2005 making the rosters 13 players each from 12.

The rosters are now up to 15 each.

The one and done rule isn’t going away sadly.

They can't. That's the point. They can't go to the G-league out of HS and get drafted until the following year anyway. So they're limited to at least one year at ~$35k and no chance at an NBA roster. Their option is to go to college and (obviously) get paid more than a G-league salary under the table with some benefits, or try and go overseas and deal with a whole rash of issues (e.g., very limited roster spots, lack of a support structure, sketchy contracts, language barrier, hazing, etc.). Just because there is some semblance of a choice, doesn't make it a real choice, nor does it allow for unfair treatment simply due to the system that is in place.

They absolutely have a choice. Go pro out of HS or go pro before they graduate college, or go pro after they graduate college, or just graduate college. I see no unfairness at all. If they want to go to college then they have to follow the rules.

You know when you are buying a #39 football jersey its Walter Reyes. Or buying a #3 basketball it was Gerry.

The non-names is how EA Sports kept making NCAA Football without naming the players.

Giving the kids a cut would allow the school to sell them and compensate the kids for their popularity.

This is in my closet.
Gee I wonder why I bought it.
View attachment 123521

Or is #39 Larry Czonka ? :)

Look, everyone has different perspectives on this but the last thing I think this is about is racism.

We can agree to disagree here. It has a lot to do with it.

Foolish sentiments I see repeated time and again in this thread/debate:
1) stop claiming the players are getting a $70k/year benefit in the form of the scholarship. It is absolute foolishness to use the sticker price of college tuition at face value. Nobody - NOBODY - pays full sticker price for tuition. It is intentionally inflated and bears little resemblance to the cost incurred by the school (as evidenced by the education bubble we find ourselves in, which will one day pop - but that is a different thread). Stop acting like the school is out $70k/year because a basketball player accepted a scholarship.

{snip).
That may be true at SU, but it's not in line with what my checkbook covers twice a year for Johns Hopkins.

They absolutely have a choice. Go pro out of HS or go pro before they graduate college, or go pro after they graduate college, or just graduate college. I see no unfairness at all. If they want to go to college then they have to follow the rules.
Why doesn't this same sentiment apply to the schools? I see a lot of hand wringing about how student athletes should be grateful for the scholarship and are entitled to no more and if they don't like it don't play in college.

Ok, sure. But if you are going to be some kind of purist on the issue, why not apply it both ways?

By that, I mean, why is it that colleges have to profit from college sports? There's no intrinsic reason why sports have to be for profit. If they are student first, afterall, why does NCAA mens basketball have to be a multi billion dollar enterprise? Just because CBS/ESPN/whoever are willing to pay for the rights to televise the games doesn't mean the schools have to sell them at that right. The Masters and CBS have had 60 some odd consecutive one year contracts for CBS to televise the Masters - neither CBS or Augusta National Golf Club make money on the deal. As a result, there are very few commercials, as Augusta National gets to tightly control their brand and CBS is happy to have low cost programming and is content to just have the cache and exposure. Of course, August National is leaving a couple of hundred million dollars on the table, but they've decided they don't need the money.

Why do the schools have to make money on athletics? Surely they could charge a nominal amount to cover the expenses incurred by the school to finance the sports. Let professional sports be where all the money is - where coaches and players make a lot of money and there are fancy facilities. College is where the amateurs play and there is no need for the corrupting influence of money. Why do the coaches need to make millions? Why does there have to be an arms race on constantly upgraded perks and facilities? I mean, if a basketball coach isn't content to coach for $75k a year, then he can go be a pro or find another occupation, right?

I will take far more seriously the calls for the players to shut up and be happy with just a scholarship when the schools are content to not seek to exploit and monetize something that doesn't inherently need to be monetized (afterall, the schools are not for profit institutions! [except for Grand Canyon U I suppose])

Melo and LeBron weren't in the same class. Melo was a FR when LeBron was a SR in high school.

Yep, I was going off the top of my head. The larger point being made, however, was that the one and done wasn't a thing back then.

Yep, I was going off the top of my head. The larger point being made, however, was that the one and done wasn't a thing back then.

It wasn't an official thing but it was happening...A guy like Larry Hughes comes to mind

It wasn't an official thing but it was happening...A guy like Larry Hughes comes to mind

Yep. I guess what I was attempting to get across was that you did not have to go to college for the one year as you do currently today, but you could (if you were projected) go straight out of high school to the NBA.

Wow where to start? OK - Ready Set GO !

By that, I mean, why is it that colleges have to profit from college sports?
My first answer was "Because they can". But I'll change that to "Because the SU Basketball team pays for all the other sports at the university.

There's no intrinsic reason why sports have to be for profit.
See answer #1.

If they are student first, after all, why does NCAA mens basketball have to be a multi billion dollar enterprise?
See answer #1.

Just because CBS/ESPN/whoever are willing to pay for the rights to televise the games doesn't mean the schools have to sell them at that right.
Is this a trick question?

The Masters and CBS have had 60 some odd consecutive one year contracts for CBS to televise the Masters - neither CBS or Augusta National Golf Club make money on the deal. As a result, there are very few commercials, as Augusta National gets to tightly control their brand and CBS is happy to have low cost programming and is content to just have the cache and exposure. Of course, August National is leaving a couple of hundred million dollars on the table, but they've decided they don't need the money.
Isn't the PGA Tour the decision maker on the Masters? They are for every other PGA Tour event. Augusta is just the venue. And, BTW, Augusta National receives MILLIONS in free marketing off of that one event. It drives their bottom line for the whole year. Golf courses PAY to have even a low level PGA event at their course.

Why do the schools have to make money on athletics? Surely they could charge a nominal amount to cover the expenses incurred by the school to finance the sports.
See answer #1. Side question - Does SU make money overall, or just on the revenue sports?

Why do the coaches need to make millions?
Apparently so they can retire in comfort when they get caught cheating.

I will take far more seriously the calls for the players to shut up and be happy with just a scholarship when the schools are content to not seek to exploit and monetize something that doesn't inherently need to be monetized (afterall, the schools are not for profit institutions! [except for Grand Canyon U I suppose])
I think people wish for a the idea of a level playing field and amateur athletic ideology that is long gone. Much as I love watching great players play, I for one would be happy for a DIII atmosphere, rivalries, team play, and the collegiate atmosphere. But I'm in the minority. It seems most fans are looking for top 20 talent, new arenas, concourses with top food & drink, upgraded locker rooms, priority parking, guaranteed tailgating space and VIP seating. I want a wooden bleacher, a bad hot dog, and a rabid crowd of sweaty ugly fans packed way too close together.

Let professional sports be where all the money is - where coaches and players make a lot of money and there are fancy facilities. College is where the amateurs play and there is no need for the corrupting influence of money.
I AGREE WITH THIS 100 PERCENT !!!

Isn't the PGA Tour the decision maker on the Masters? They are for every other PGA Tour event. Augusta is just the venue. And, BTW, Augusta National receives MILLIONS in free marketing off of that one event. It drives their bottom line for the whole year. Golf courses PAY to have even a low level PGA event at their course

The Masters controls their event from front to back. It is an invitational event run by the Augusta National Golf Club.
They are very strict even to how their event is described.
Gary McCord worked the event for CBS years ago and was banned after he described the greens as smooth as if they had used bikini wax and said mounds on the course looked like body bags.

Can't have these types of post in this thread. It's gotta be how to solve the whole student athlete and possibly pay problem, which has gone on for about 6-7 pages with NOTHING new about FBI probe, which I thought for sure was the subject of this thread but what do I know.
Perhaps the solution lies within the article. You can do whatever you want, take whatever money you want from anyone as long as someone related to you makes a charitable contribution. Problem solved. Now let's stop pretending we are at a NCAA boardroom table.

Can't have these types of post in this thread. It's gotta be how to solve the whole student athlete and possibly pay problem, which has gone on for about 6-7 pages with NOTHING new about FBI probe, which I thought for sure was the subject of this thread but what do I know.
I'm both impressed and amused by your crusade here.

You realize the mods merged threads, right? So that we would stick to one thread?

I

I think proposals like this just move the bar. Suppose every kid gets $1000/Mo, you will still have outside influences (be they boosters, agents, shoe companies, whatever) who will pay more to swing the kid to Kentucky. Nothing changes, just that some approved compensation goes in the kids pocket first.
That is JB's take.

According to what some people are saying, some of this story is falling apart, especially the Arizona issue. Timelines may not be matching up.