Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Are we going to pay AAU and prep players who’s games are showed on ESPN as well? How about McDonald’s all Americans and Jordan all Americans who also play on TV?

Who says they’re not worth that? Who sets values on coaches?

One strength coach for 1 program at a university makes that money - and you're fine with it lol. To each their own really - but if you can't see how that's an outrageous salary and how there and many outrageous salaries in college athletics - then our conversation ends here. Agree to disagree!

How do you propose implementing this?
Kids can already go pro at 18.
They just can't enter the NBA which is a private entity.

The NCAA is the problem. The rules prohibit players in basketball and football from making money on their name, celebrity, image while pretending to be "amateurs". While their coaches can make millions being billboards for shoe companies, and other sponsors.
The sport is dirty.

I don't want the players to be treated like employees but the players should be getting more benefits in football and basketball for all the revenue they are generating.

The NCAA is the problem. The rules prohibit players in basketball and football from making money on their name, celebrity, image while pretending to be "amateurs". While their coaches can make millions being billboards for shoe companies, and other sponsors.
The sport is dirty.

I don't want the players to be treated like employees but the players should be getting more benefits in football and basketball for all the revenue they are generating.

The NCAA is bad, but it’s not just the NCAA. The media and AAU are just as much to blame. We can make the same argument on the football side of things.

Are we going to pay AAU and prep players who’s games are showed on ESPN as well? How about McDonald’s all Americans and Jordan all Americans who also play on TV?
The High schools don't make millions each year from TV.
They get maybe 1 game a year or two tops and they use them for publicity.

Colleges could easily give their basketball and football players more without hurting anybody.

The sport is dirty.

So you'd agree the stopping the one and done cannot be implemented without the assistant of the NBA or NBAPA correct?

The High schools don't make millions each year from TV.
They get maybe 1 game a year or two tops and they use them for publicity.

Colleges could easily give their basketball and football players more without hurting anybody.

Right, but those kids are still being used.

Let’s just be honest here and say that ESPN, FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS are all enablers here. They all carry some sort of revenue sport and haven’t cared about it in forever.

LOL.

Edited to add: I really wish I knew why people hate the athletes so much. Is it because they're seemingly taking advantage of the system (the same system where they're getting company scrip and coaches and hangers on are getting millions).

It's closed rigged market. Government/cartel regulation to prevent compensation going to subset whose labor is involved in the generation of revenue leads directly to black market activities. More laws doesn't solve anything.
the-more-you-tighten-your-grip-tarkin-the-more-systems-will-slip-through-your-fingers.jpg
Where did I say I hate athletes? I am just attuned to reality. Paying kids doesn’t get the riff raff out of college athletics. It makes it worse. Like saying the way to prevent gun violence is to arm teachers...

The NCAA is bad, but it’s not just the NCAA. The media and AAU are just as much to blame. We can make the same argument on the football side of things.
Football is worse.
They are indentured servants for 3 years after HS to whatever college they go too.
Football is way more taxing on the body and have shorter careers.

Those schools don't care as they make millions and the NFL gets a free minor league system. AJ Green gets suspended 4 games while in college because he wants to sell his jersey from a bowl game. Give me a break.
The NCAA is a joke. Let kids make money on their names.

I hope football recruits are getting bags of money.

One strength coach for 1 program at a university makes that money - and you're fine with it lol. To each their own really - but if you can't see how that's an outrageous salary and how there and many outrageous salaries in college athletics - then our conversation ends here. Agree to disagree!
How is it outrageous? Determining someone’s worth in a vacuum is absurd. Maybe that’s the freight rate for the best SC coach.

Then tell those kids to be good at something that provides value to the university. This simply comes down to jealousy that you or other posters couldn't go to school for free or can't afford to because you didn't do a good job of preparing for your child's future.

I went to Syracuse University on a fully paid academic scholarship. I wasn't a basketball or football player.

No way I could have afforded to pay tuition -room- board, even at a state school (my dad died when I was a teen).

I appreciated the hell out of that opportunity and anyone who doesn't shouldn't be in college. imo

So you'd agree the stopping the one and done cannot be implemented without the assistant of the NBA or NBAPA correct?
This is correct and it won't change because it was collectively bargained. The players don't care enough about it to want it and give the owners something else in exchange.

The owners don't want to give the players anything significant to get it changed to two years.

1 and done is going nowhere.

I went to Syracuse University on a fully paid academic scholarship. I wasn't a basketball or football player.

No way I could have afforded to pay tuition -room- board, even at a state school (my dad died when I was a teen).

I appreciated the hell out of that opportunity and anyone who doesn't shouldn't be in college. imo
But but but how did you live? And eat? And drink? And buy clothes?

Let’s just be honest here and say that ESPN, FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS are all enablers here. They all carry some sort of revenue sport and haven’t cared about it in forever.
Ding ding ding. Look if you want athletes to “have more” let them do work study for pay in the offseason.

TV is a problem but the NCAA could let kids make money off their names, likeness, but they pretend these kids are amateurs.

Who says they’re not worth that? Who sets values on coaches?
The market.

Who sets the value on the players? It's obviously more than whatever they're offered above the table.

Our only championship was due to a one and done

Thank you Mr Obvious. I’d say these four year players helped too: McNamara, Forth, Duany, Warrick and Pace. As did Edelin (who would of stayed four years too if not for personal issues).

But on the whole, I’d say that we’d be more successful following the Villanova model of team development than we are with our current approach.

Thank you Mr Obvious. I’d say these four year players helped too: McNamara, Forth, Duany, Warrick and Pace. As did Edelin (who would of stayed four years too if not for personal issues).

But on the whole, I’d say that we’d be more successful following the Villanova model of team development than we are with our current approach.

Not sure why you have to be defensive. I'm stating a fact. The tournament MVP was Melo.

Not sure why you have to be defensive. I'm stating a fact. The tournament MVP was Melo.

One championship in 30+ years because of a once in a lifetime talent? That’s not being defensive, just explaining that melo had a stellar supporting cast who all stayed for four years...

Remember, we likely lose to OSU without Josh Pace...

Our only championship was due to a one and done
I seriously don't know, so I have to ask. Was he a OAD or did he decide to leave after his first year? There's a difference in my mind. The OADs like uke and Kentucky have come into the program with everyone involved knowing up front that the players are leaving when the season is over. Justin Anderson, for us, left after his third year, but that was in response to the circumstances that developed as the season progressed rather than any notion of "I'm only staying 3 years and then I'm gone."