Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

His sister went to school here and we weren't in his top five. Can't recall if we even got an official visit.

I thought that was Isaiah Briscoe who went to Kentucky? His sister Iasia Hemingway played here.

You guys are dreaming if you think unc, duke or kentucky will get hammered. UNC ran sham classes for 20 years and the ncaa found a way to give them zero penalty. NCAA would rather not punish anyone at all than to have to punish unc, duke, kentucky.

If they have stuff on teams like Syracuse, Seton Hall etc... that doesn't affect the blue bloods, then those 2nd and 3rd tier teams will get crushed. Nothing, nada will happen to unc or duke
Maybe you didn't notice. This is out of the NCAA's hands now. The FBI doesn't care about the names on the front of the jerseys. They will go where the evidence takes them. The NCAA will be forced to respond. I agree that they won't want to. But if there is a paper trail leading to any school, they will get hit hard. The FBI has 4000 hours of tapped phone calls.

I think that is 100% true. However, I think our greatest exposure was on what was just released. I don't believe we were paying kids to go to Syracuse. And that is what is coming next.
To be clear, he did not indicate that Syracuse would be implicated (which I think he would if he knew), just that the overall landscape of college basketball may undergo a seismic shift.

To be clear, he did not indicate that Syracuse would be implicated (which I think he would if he knew), just that the overall landscape of college basketball may undergo a seismic shift.
I believe that and think it is the best thing to happen to college basketball in forever. And to be clear, I thought we would get some dirt on us in this initial phase. Thrilled we haven't. The field has become so one sided. Only a few select schools can get a top 15 player. I'm hoping when the smoke clears, at least then we will know what we are up against. There was a player just last year that was a Syracuse fan from what we heard. And all of a sudden, boom, we aren't recruiting him and he goes to another ACC school.

If SU wasn't involved in this pay for play arrangement, it could very easily be argued that the NCAA, who would supposedly know about this as some people have said it is common knowledge, went after SU because they wouldn't play ball. Like the old protection racket that street gangs run.

If SU wasn't involved in this pay for play arrangement, it could very easily be argued that the NCAA, who would supposedly know about this as some people have said it is common knowledge, went after SU because they wouldn't play ball. Like the old protection racket that street gangs run.
Ridiculous

I believe that and think it is the best thing to happen to college basketball in forever. And to be clear, I thought we would get some dirt on us in this initial phase. Thrilled we haven't. The field has become so one sided. Only a few select schools can get a top 15 player. I'm hoping when the smoke clears, at least then we will know what we are up against. There was a player just last year that was a Syracuse fan from what we heard. And all of a sudden, boom, we aren't recruiting him and he goes to another ACC school.
This combined with the NCAA leaning on the NBA to change their draft eligibility will be beneficial for college basketball as well as allowing for some form of compensation while playing (even if it is just capitalizing on their own likeness). If kids want to go be professional ball players, have at it. If not, you're college for a set amount of time and you have to play by the rules. Reducing the number of 1,2 and dones will decrease the roster churn in college basketball and you will see better team play develop, IMO.

I gotta agree with Dawkins’ lawyer:

Miller has yet to be charged in the case, and it’s widely believed he’s cooperating with the government. Dawkins’ lawyer, Steve Haney, told Yahoo Sports earlier in the week it was “utter hypocrisy” that an underling like Dawkins and the four assistant coaches were charged in the case and their superiors have gone unscathed. Haney added on Thursday night in an email statement: “These are college eligibility issues and agent licensing issues, not matters of national security that deserve this level of FBI involvement and taxpayer resources…..it has reached a degree of being ridiculous.”

what about extending high paid coaching contracts to land prized recruits like autry and boeheim ?

I find this whole story SOOOOOO much more interesting than the Russian election hack job
What I find interesting is that Bilas hasn't tweeted any real opinions today. Mainly just retweets. Has he been on TV at all. Bilas must know what's going on.

Ridiculous
"Old man Boeheim doesn't wants to pay up". "Well maybe he has some bad luck and he slips and falls or his store catches fire". You can call it ridiculous, but this whole episode stinks like organized crime.

His sister went to school here and we weren't in his top five. Can't recall if we even got an official visit.
No. You’re thinking of Isaiah Briscoe. His sister, Iasia Hemingway, went to Syracuse, not Whitehead’s.

My understanding is that we backed off Whitehead when the recruitment got shady. We weren’t going to hire his high school coach, but Seton Hall did, and there were likely other demands.

I gotta agree with Dawkins’ lawyer:

Miller has yet to be charged in the case, and it’s widely believed he’s cooperating with the government. Dawkins’ lawyer, Steve Haney, told Yahoo Sports earlier in the week it was “utter hypocrisy” that an underling like Dawkins and the four assistant coaches were charged in the case and their superiors have gone unscathed. Haney added on Thursday night in an email statement: “These are college eligibility issues and agent licensing issues, not matters of national security that deserve this level of FBI involvement and taxpayer resources…..it has reached a degree of being ridiculous.”

Think about the manpower and resources the FBI has spent on this in light of the FBI dropping the ball in Florida.

It wasnt even no-show jobs... it was jobs that werent previously approved

"It's disheartening because I know the kind of person I am," Roberts said. "For them to say 45 games are gone because of me? Come on, man. In all honesty, I don't even know what they're talking about. I don't remember that. … But if I got paid for anything it was services rendered. If I got paid for anything, it's because I was working."

Most of them were about tutoring," Boeheim said on the radio show. "Most but not all. One was a speech for $300 where the money was re-paid but not re-instated. That one was 45 games. … The (drug policy) has nothing to do with any of the games."

cant give a speech without being there.
Terrence also mentioned the $ he did get paid went to a charity of his choice, so technically, the $ was never his to be had!

"Old man Boeheim doesn't wants to pay up". "Well maybe he has some bad luck and he slips and falls or his store catches fire". You can call it ridiculous, but this whole episode stinks like organized crime.
No.

Think about the manpower and resources the FBI has spent on this in light of the FBI dropping the ball in Florida.

White collar crime is still crime. Why should we pay taxes while people get away with not paying taxes from money they received under the table? It’s no different from Drug Dealing.

Not to mention FBI illegally wiretapping with out sufficient evidence for a warrant. FBI needs a complete overhaul...

White collar crime is still crime. Why should we pay taxes while people get away with not paying taxes from money they received under the table? It’s no different from Drug Dealing.

i'm not going to get into a political debate so this will be my only comment. I understand different units or different depts etc investigate different crimes blah blah blah. But given the choice I'd want them to focus on potential crazy people. i don't give a rats * about any of this stuff. And yes, it's a lot different than drug dealing and shooters.

No.
You must be naive. Boeheim and SU would not become co-conspirators with the blue bloods and they would not accept him because of it. Like any criminal gang, you have to commit a crime with them to prove your one of them. The NCAA in this case are the cops on the take who go out and suppress rival gangs allowing your gang dominance. We are talking about billions of dollars here, pollyanna.

PHEW! As per my left...NUT.
I mentioned in another thread about this burgeoning CBB scandal, that “I’d bet my left nut, that with all those schools mentioned, we’d somehow be involved”!
Well, so far- so good!
And finally, finally...PayPalCal might be in for his reckoning!
Stay tuned!
Everything you need to know about the college basketball scandal