Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Where did I cap it? I just said I didn't think they would get 50k and most likely a few thousand.

If Carmelo could generate 100k let him but it would be done in a way the school was controlling the situation and he was actually generating the interest to get that 100k and not just let boosters overpay which wouldn't be fair.

Understood and I hear your argument. Although saying the school should control the situation does seem to be skirting the line more and more towards players clearly being employees imo. It sounds like my employer who makes me report any external income. When I was in college they sure as hell wouldn't make me report if I made money, oh I don't know, babysitting.

Noel was a Georgetown lean those last few days and then boom he changes to Kentucky.
Just like everyone thought Duke was getting Kevin Knox and then he chose Kentucky.

Duke and Kentucky have been dishing out max contracts for a while without worrying about the luxury tax.

Or like Quade Green?

Any booster can decide they'll buy $20,000 worth of autographs, etc.

ADs would also hate it - money would just go straight to the kids.

I think it's likely the boosters are already doing it and I know it's a minority opinion but, if the kid can get it, great on him. I realize college basketball wouldn't be a "fair playing ground" but not much in life is when it comes to big business, which college basketball is.

I agree that you should be able to sell your autograph, as long as you're not receiving a free college education conditioned on amateur status.

this is a good point and you are of course right, the rules are the rules. My point is, the rules are fundamentally unfair and archaic and should be changed. These athletes generates billions for TV networks, sponsors, universities, etc and I think they should be able to receive what the market will bear. I'm also sure that most will disagree with my opinion, because it represents too seismic a shift from what we are used to.

I disagree with Jay Bilas so much on this... Paying college athletes would be terrible. If that were to happen then you could say goodbye to a lot of college teams... Wouldn't be able to compete with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC. Recruits just gonna go to who gives most... And its not like they don't get anything... They get a free a FREE college education. Kids pay thousands and thousands of dollars for that.

If players are just in college because the NBA insists that they have to go there before going pro, how much is that college education worth?

It has become painfully obvious to me after reading this thread that there are people here who don't understand what the NCAA is. It is made up of its member institutions. Many calls for burning it down, taking them down, etc. That would mean the members themselves (including SU) would be the agents of change. I'm not sure I see the impetus or the will to do so.

upload_2018-2-23_17-2-58.png

It has become painfully obvious to me after reading this thread that there a people here who don't understand what the NCAA is. It is made up of its member institutions. Many calls for burning it down, taking them down, etc. That would mean the members themselves (including SU) would be the agents of change. I'm not sure I see the impetus or the will to do so.

View attachment 123463

Maybe a few people don't get it but a good deal of them don't like the infrastructure of the NCAA and the rules they've set up and enforce extremely inconsistently.

It has become painfully obvious to me after reading this thread that there a people here who don't understand what the NCAA is. It is made up of its member institutions. Many calls for burning it down, taking them down, etc. That would mean the members themselves (including SU) would be the agents of change. I'm not sure I see the impetus or the will to do so.

I’m sure you are right. Many, if not most, think the NCAA is this entity that grew out of the earth and which is responsible to no one. They view it like it’s a quasi-Government organization like the TVA.

They really don’t grasp that reports to the College presidents and it serves their interests.

Talk about the fox being in charge of the henhouse.

Maybe a few people don't get it but a good deal of them don't like the infrastructure of the NCAA and the rules they've set up and enforce extremely inconsistently.
I get that. Totally. My point was that many refer to the NCAA as it, them, etc. as if they were a separate entity. Just saying tear it down is naive, at best. Change in the NCAA will have to come from within. And I'm not holding my breath, unless there is some sort of sea change (and from the outside). Maybe this is it. Maybe it isn't.
upload_2018-2-23_17-18-24.gif

I get that. Totally. My point was that many refer to the NCAA as it, them, etc. as if they were a separate entity. Just saying tear it down is naive, at best. Change in the NCAA will have to come from within. And I'm not holding my breath, unless there is some sort of sea change (and from the outside). Maybe this is it. Maybe it isn't. View attachment 123464

Yeah, I get your point too. Tearing it down would be cannibalism.

The first time I remember even thinking of the NCAA was Boz getting busted for ‘roids and having to sit out the Orange Bowl, then doing his “protest.” He got the Against Athletes part right.
BA7C584A-7EBC-4EC2-9B3E-AD13BBAB6FD9.jpeg

Not autographs. This wouldn't be go to the mall and sell autographs. It might be for schools like us. For Kentucky, it would be 50k for an autograph and their money people would give it to them.
The issue of autographs actually relates to the FBI.

Think college sports are shady?
The autograph/memorabilia business is THE MOST FRAUD-FILLED business around.
Nothing is even close...not even used car dealers.
The overwhelming majority of items for sale are fakes and people are being taken for millions.
But the FBI has no unit investigating the industry.
The last time they did was years ago with Operation Bullpen.

So the fact they're putting the time and resources into college basketball is significant.
It means they want to make a big splash.
And this could wind up being a tsunami.

haven't read every post since this thread exploded today so someone may have already covered this, but based on what I read in the article and what I know about the NCAAholes, this is how I see it playing out...

there will end up being 3 traunches of violators. the 3rd and lowest will be the "free meal" guys who received some kind of meal or minimal "payoff" which is a technical violation but nothing really substantial at the end of the day. I expect those schools to get short-term probation at worst.

next tier are the schools where is there is no direct connection to the money from the coaching staff and plausible deniability that anyone on the staff knew anything about it. those payments were from agents with the hope/expectation of the agent signing the player as a client. these should be treated as "lack of institutional control" under the same guise that the coaches should know everything and are ultimately responsible for everything in the program...but they wont be. I expect these schools to take a hit, but less than they should get (and substantially less than we got)

the highest level of violators are the Bowen class, the ones where money was given in order to steer a player to a certain school. these programs should be hammered but I expect they wont be because that list will prob include the likes of UK.

the determination of who is on that top tier wont be found in the financial ledgers but will come from the cooperative testimony of the Millers of the world.

Not autographs. This wouldn't be go to the mall and sell autographs. It might be for schools like us. For Kentucky, it would be 50k for an autograph and their money people would give it to them.

A lot of talk about sneaker companies and agents. What about boosters? We all know that boosters have been paying under the table for years...basketball and football. Sam Gilbert UCLA is just one example.

Bill Rapp anyone?

Last edited:
This is just a drip drip

Wait until the tip tip

There will be audio that will be damning.

I expect Yahoo to drag this out in three to five parts between last week and the tournament

...NUT.
I mentioned in another thread about this burgeoning CBB scandal, that “I’d bet my left nut, that with all those schools mentioned, we’d somehow be involved”!
Well, so far- so good!
And finally, finally...PayPalCal might be in for his reckoning!
Stay tuned!
Everything you need to know about the college basketball scandal

I heard that John Gillon's name was scribbled in an agent's notebook. he said the agent was a "family friend".

Isiah Whitehead got $37k while at Seton Hall. Plus his HS coach, who went with him to Seton Hall as assistant coach got a $9,500 loan. Unclear if Seton Hall is directly involved or just an agent who paid off Whitehead so he would represent him when he entered the draft. Either way, that situation just reeked of slime. Wow. No wonder JB got away from Whitehead. That confirms my faith in JB.

This is not time to find new ways to enforce rules which I am sure the NCAA will go to make sure athletes never get a cent.

It is a time for a fundamental change to the whole system. Not just compensation, but also academic.
- Compensation reform.

- Draft reform. Being able to enter the draft and returning to the NCAA or even look into being demoted back. Why can kids in hockey be in a draft, get agents to negotiate a deal, and then decide if they want to come back or not. Let kids enter the draft after the first year -- they get a guaranteed contact, that starts at the earliest of their NBA career or after their senior year. So the player now has a safety net, and the NBA team can decide to keep him in college, where the player still needs to take classes on life skills (See Below). Why is the NCAA so hung up on what type of life skills it teaches kids. Instead of embracing its role to nurture kids with something practical, they would rather have them go through the sham of classes that serves zero purpose.

The NBA and the NCAA can have a system to major junior hockey in Canada. A drafted player either makes the NHL team, or gets sent back to Junior Hockey. They can't send them to the minors.

- Academic Reform. Many students can't handle the academics side, so they skirt it. After 4 years they may or may not have a degree, but don't have the competence to use it for real life. Instead, give kids the options of going to university, or being part of a choice of life skills / more college based program that are sponsored by the university. Certainly some kids that are good ball players but know the NBA may not be in the future may want the univiersity side. Those who take life skills programs, still are learning things to help them as adults, but they focus on basketball more.

- Some Transfer Reform

This is not time to find new ways to enforce rules which I am sure the NCAA will go to make sure athletes never get a cent.

It is a time for a fundamental change to the whole system. Not just compensation, but also academic.
- Compensation reform.

- Draft reform. Being able to enter the draft and returning to the NCAA or even look into being demoted back. Why can kids in hockey be in a draft, get agents to negotiate a deal, and then decide if they want to come back or not. Let kids enter the draft after the first year -- they get a guaranteed contact, that starts at the earliest of their NBA career or after their senior year. So the player now has a safety net, and the NBA team can decide to keep him in college, where the player still needs to take classes on life skills (See Below). Why is the NCAA so hung up on what type of life skills it teaches kids. Instead of embracing its role to nurture kids with something practical, they would rather have them go through the sham of classes that serves zero purpose.

The NBA and the NCAA can have a system to major junior hockey in Canada. A drafted player either makes the NHL team, or gets sent back to Junior Hockey. They can't send them to the minors.

- Academic Reform. Many students can't handle the academics side, so they skirt it. After 4 years they may or may not have a degree, but don't have the competence to use it for real life. Instead, give kids the options of going to university, or being part of a choice of life skills / more college based program that are sponsored by the university. Certainly some kids that are good ball players but know the NBA may not be in the future may want the univiersity side. Those who take life skills programs, still are learning things to help them as adults, but they focus on basketball more.

- Some Transfer Reform
Do kids in Junior hockey get paid from their teams?
I always wondered if Junior hockey players in Canada got anything as I know its like SEC football in the South in Canada.