Is there a coach more loyal than JB? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is there a coach more loyal than JB?

Can I ask those who think this is no big deal and that a coach shouldn't do anything what the difference is between MCW, Hunt and the Williams kid at UConn?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I know very little confirmed details in any of these cases, so I ask this: were the police involved in those other cases? I am not trying to make a statement with this post I really don't know the answer to the question.

Can I ask those who think this is no big deal and that a coach shouldn't do anything what the difference is between MCW, Hunt and the Williams kid at UConn?

To me? Law enforcement.

The perception of jb isn't good, from the perspective of opposing fans. I'll leave it at that.

It never has been, so who really gives a ? Hell, people who say they are SU fans hate him too. He's always been polarizing. I could care less what opposing fans think of him.

Wow - went away and came back surprised to find several people who seem to agree with me. It has become an embarrassment when SU is no better than the UConns and Kentuckys that people out here mock continually.

JB's approach.....seriously - do you not think JB influences just about everything that goes on there? He is the King of Syracuse because without Syracuse basketball no one in the country would give a crap about anything to do with Syracuse. JB is not fighting anyone "like a dog" - he makes a call, negotiates a deal and it is done. Law enforcement does nothing because they know the deal - just like the police in Lexington, Lincoln or Eugene. Do you honestly believe that JB did not get a "courtesy" call about the MCW "misunderstanding"?

There is obviously a divide here among the younger naive fans and the older ones who have seen incidents for many years. And there are many who have never been close to the program along any of those years who have no idea what goes on with some of these guys. Not just "incidents" but academics as well. I go way back and was/am friends with several "stars" back in the day who left SU without ever seeing much of the main campus yet they never seemed to fail any classes.

Again - SU is no better or worse than most big time programs with regard to most of this. I am just amazed at how many people want to justify the MCW incident as not being that bad.

Cue the "but Jim and Julie raise a lot of money...." defense.

jb didn't sit devo. The school did. JB lobbied for the punishment to be lessoned.

Because Devo was not the antagonist. He was the one who was heckled and almost driven over with the car. Yes he shouldn't have shoved the girl. That was stupid. But she certainly was no saint and pretty much provoked the entire episode. Just saying. We all think we know better.

It never has been, so who really gives a ****? Hell, people who say they are SU fans hate him too. He's always been polarizing. I could care less what opposing fans think of him.

At no point in my post did I state we should care. I did however give a fact. Take it as you please. You obviously don't care what other people think and that's great. I was just drawing attention to the FACT of how jb is perceived by others. Some people here think jb is a god who can do no wrong because he has won 899 basketball games.

For all of you passing judgement on JB's actions/inactions on this episode, please feel free to tell us what you would have done were you the head coach of SU basketball. Let's make this a constructive discussion. I'll start.

In the press I say "dealing with it internally. No further comment. It's a personal matter. Michael has already talked to the paper."

Behind the scenes I reprimand him and pull extracurricular privileges for a week or two. I also volunteer him for some community service at the soup kitchen. He doesn't sit one game because that only feeds the media frenzy. No charges, no sit. But he doesn't get off clean.

What about you, Bees? Albany? Anyone?

Wow - went away and came back surprised to find several people who seem to agree with me. It has become an embarrassment when SU is no better than the UConns and Kentuckys that people out here mock continually.

JB's approach.....seriously - do you not think JB influences just about everything that goes on there? He is the King of Syracuse because without Syracuse basketball no one in the country would give a crap about anything to do with Syracuse. JB is not fighting anyone "like a dog" - he makes a call, negotiates a deal and it is done. Law enforcement does nothing because they know the deal - just like the police in Lexington, Lincoln or Eugene. Do you honestly believe that JB did not get a "courtesy" call about the MCW "misunderstanding"?

There is obviously a divide here among the younger naive fans and the older ones who have seen incidents for many years. And there are many who have never been close to the program along any of those years who have no idea what goes on with some of these guys. Not just "incidents" but academics as well. I go way back and was/am friends with several "stars" back in the day who left SU without ever seeing much of the main campus yet they never seemed to fail any classes.

Again - SU is no better or worse than most big time programs with regard to most of this. I am just amazed at how many people want to justify the MCW incident as not being that bad.

Cue the "but Jim and Julie raise a lot of money...." defense.

I agree with you 90% , but what do you think should happen to MCW?

At no point in my post did I state we should care. I did however give a fact. Take it as you please. You obviously don't care what other people think and that's great. I was just drawing attention to the FACT of how jb is perceived by others. Some people here think jb is a god who can do no wrong because he has won 899 basketball games.

And others think he is the devil and the worst coach in NCAA history, with or without 899 wins. What's the point?

I don't think there is a fan base out there that continually second guesses and trashes it's HOF coach more than ours. Feel free to rebut, but it's true. He is not a perfect person, but he has been right far more than he's been wrong. This outrage over his perceived "obliviousness" over the MCW affair will too pass.

For all of you passing judgement on JB's actions/inactions on this episode, please feel free to tell us what you would have done were you the head coach of SU basketball. Let's make this a constructive discussion. I'll start.

In the press I say "dealing with it internally. No further comment. It's a personal matter. Michael has already talked to the paper."

Behind the scenes I reprimand him and pull extracurricular privileges for a week or two. I also volunteer him for some community service at the soup kitchen. He doesn't sit one game because that only feeds the media frenzy. No charges, no sit. But he doesn't get off clean.

People are bringing up history and worse incidents and comparing them to what MCW did. Not fair imo. MCW wasnt arrested, made a bad decision that day and paid a hefty fine. If he was arrested than sit him a few games.Is that good enough? who knows, but i dont think he should be severely punished either.

I do not think that they can do anything to MCW now because I believe that the powers that be got involved and took care of it. Obviously he should have gotten punished, but with everyone "cooperating" there is nothing there to punish since every seems to have come to a favorable agreement on this "misunderstanding." Although I also think that sometimes there should be action taken (we have all seen the BS suspensions at all schools where a guy sits out a half or a game against a horrible opponent) regardless of whether or not the law gets involved.

There are legal standards, university standards, program standards, etc. No every incident requires an arrest to justify a reaction and I believe that having a HOF coach hide behind a "misunderstanding" and act as if he knew very little about it is insulting to the university, alum and it opens us up to mockery (that is probably deserved). JB's smug act has become boring and embarrassing for me as a SU alum.

I think that'd be fine. Sitting him last night would have been fine, too.

I don't care what punishment the kid gets. It's the responsibility of the coach to mete out discipline. He's hired to do that; we're supposed to defer to his judgment. I'm happy to defer to Doug Marrone; he's been forthright and outwardly fair in his brief tenure. After decades of seeing how Boeheim publicly handles these matters, it's difficult to trust his judgment. The usual Boeheim "my hands are tied" excuse-making is pathetic and brazenly dishonest.

I do not think that they can do anything to MCW now because I believe that the powers that be got involved and took care of it. Obviously he should have gotten punished, but with everyone "cooperating" there is nothing there to punish since every seems to have come to a favorable agreement on this "misunderstanding." Although I also think that sometimes there should be action taken (we have all seen the BS suspensions at all schools where a guy sits out a half or a game against a horrible opponent) regardless of whether or not the law gets involved.

There are legal standards, university standards, program standards, etc. No every incident requires an arrest to justify a reaction and I believe that having a HOF coach hide behind a "misunderstanding" and act as if he knew very little about it is insulting to the university, alum and it opens us up to mockery (that is probably deserved). JB's smug act has become boring and embarrassing for me as a SU alum.

You make no sense at all. You say he "obviously" should have been punished, but then say that he couldn't be punished because all parties worked it out. Which is it? I think it's pretty obvious he has paid a price already. He paid a hefty fine, his image is tarnished. I'd say that fits what he did, which was make a really stupid decision. What's JB supposed to do? What's SU supposed to do? If he handled it with the store on his own, and they were the one's who let him off, what can/should anyone else do? He should miss games so some on here can sleep better at night because some douche bag opposing fan will think better of JB? Really?

People are bringing up history and worse incidents and comparing them to what MCW did. Not fair imo. MCW wasnt arrested, made a bad decision that day and paid a hefty fine. If he was arrested than sit him a few games.Is that good enough? who knows, but i dont think he should be severely punished either.

Important distinction: I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm definitely not comparing previous players' transgressions to Mike's petty larceny. The comparison is between Boeheim's treatment of those things and his treatment of this.

Certainly don't intend to equate shoplifting and girl-punching. (Though I'm not defending the shoplifting, either; that's no light charge. Unacceptable behavior.)

The distinction between being arrested and not is pretty contrived. If the kid didn't have a credit card, he'd have been arrested. If he'd chosen not to pay the steep fee, he'd have been arrested. He did something that was arrest-worthy and bought his way out of it. Whether public servants with badges got involved doesn't have any bearing on the severity of the offense.

Michigan just suspended three football players for violating team rules. They miss the bowl game - the last game at Michigan for two of them. One of them is a starter.

A coach who get it - "It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement. "These young men used poor judgment in each circumstance, and these suspensions are teaching moments for our team."

No arrests? How could Michigan do this? So unfair!!

One would think stealing and embarrassing SU - arrest or no arrest - might violate some sort of team rule.

Keep those Orange glasses on and enjoy the rest of the season!!!

To me? Law enforcement.

So as it relates to SU athletics, one gets punished and the other doesn't because one store allows you to buy a get out of jail card and the other doesn't. Same crime.

you mean the same Michigan program that was penalized for major violations a few years ago lol.

1 game suspension if he came clean with me from the get go. 2 games if I got BS.

Michigan just suspended three football players for violating team rules. They miss the bowl game - the last game at Michigan for two of them. One of them is a starter.

A coach who get it - "It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement. "These young men used poor judgment in each circumstance, and these suspensions are teaching moments for our team."

No arrests? How could Michigan do this? So unfair!!

One would think stealing and embarrassing SU - arrest or no arrest - might violate some sort of team rule.

Keep those Orange glasses on and enjoy the rest of the season!!!

Rumor is this was the THIRD time they got caught smoking weed. THIRD time. THIRD time. THIRD time.

Rumor is this was the THIRD time they got caught smoking weed. THIRD time. THIRD time. THIRD time.

Well, there ya go. Repeat offenders. What do you have to say about that, Virginia Orange "fan"?

This whole topic, in my mind, is what ultimately doomed Joe Paterno to not reacting properly when the Sandusky thing came to his attention. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES. I am simply saying that as a high major D1 coach and athletic dept staff, you must become so desensitized to legal problems with your players that the damage control reaction must be nearly automatic. Imagine how many issues there are on something the size of a football team. I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't at least weekly activity related to misconduct, ethics, possible NCAA violations, criminal behavior, etc by players. Any coach who doesn't figure out how to keep his players on the field/court through this stuff wouldn't be coaching for very long. That's just the reality. So it always struck me that when allegations came in against Sandusky, it could have been such a routine thing to pressure different areas of the university or even local authorities, that it just got added to that week's pile. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES.

This whole topic, in my mind, is what ultimately doomed Joe Paterno to not reacting properly when the Sandusky thing came to his attention. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES. I am simply saying that as a high major D1 coach and athletic dept staff, you must become so desensitized to legal problems with your players that the damage control reaction must be nearly automatic. Imagine how many issues there are on something the size of a football team. I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't at least weekly activity related to misconduct, ethics, possible NCAA violations, criminal behavior, etc by players. Any coach who doesn't figure out how to keep his players on the field/court through this stuff wouldn't be coaching for very long. That's just the reality. So it always struck me that when allegations came in against Sandusky, it could have been such a routine thing to pressure different areas of the university or even local authorities, that it just got added to that week's pile. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES.

does a worse comparison exist?

Well, there ya go. Repeat offenders. What do you have to say about that, Virginia Orange "fan"?

They are missing a bowl game. The last game of some of their careers. MCW would have missed Canisius. Different crimes. Different punishment.

Btw, did the Michigan kids get caught by authorities?

They are missing a bowl game. The last game of some of their careers. MCW would have missed Canisius. Different crimes. Different punishment.

Btw, did the Michigan kids get caught by authorities?

If the mcw thing happened the week of the final 4 would you suspend him for the final 4 game?

If this happened to nolan hart would anyone give a stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom