Is there a coach more loyal than JB? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is there a coach more loyal than JB?

It's not hard to know when you have friends inside the program and that follow the program very closely, including ass't coaches for the last 30 years.
Fair enough. But there are a lot of people on this board who can't tell the difference between a fact and an assumption. And I'm pretty sure most of them don't have friends inside the program and that follow the program very closely, including ass't coaches for the last 30 years.

People have been hurt. And rising to a felony, you have low standards. Very low. Just win baby.
What you want doesnt exist. Go to class, practise, bed. Rinse and repeat. I understand things happen. What mcw did or didnt do is wrong but minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can just go back to all of the times that JB has disciplined players in the past. You know, like in never. Face it, it's not what he does. Nothing is ever more important than winning the next basketball game. Nothing. I love syracuse basketball. I want to win every game. I always want the school and the program to have respect. Not just on the court. But to be considered a class school and program. Having issues like this don't get us that.
What about when Dion didn't play? Remember that one. Nothing public but many think it was in response to things that may have transpired before. JB doesn't go public with it.

Do you think that was just coincidence or do you think he did it in response to something?

Fair enough. But there are a lot of people on this board who can't tell the difference between a fact and an assumption. And I'm pretty sure most of them don't have friends inside the program and that follow the program very closely, including ass't coaches for the last 30 years.
I think the divide is that for a lot of those people, they have been waiting for discipline for a long time. And as others have said, JB never says the right thing in these situitions. Jake had a great post about what jb could have said. MCW didn't injure anyone but stealing is a serious offense. Let's not poo poo that. You guys on the other side are right about one thing without question. It's never going to change. Why us on the other side get worked up about it, is probably just plain crazy.

What about when Dion didn't play? Remember that one. Nothing public but many think it was in response to things that may have transpired before. JB doesn't go public with it.

Do you think that was just coincidence or do you think he did it in response to something?
Jb didn't play him because Dion disrespected him. I guess that is an offense serious enough to sit. Hit a girl, not so much.

Thats what your pretty much saying.

Nothing even remotely like that. Very bad example on your part. I don't need to know the why's and wherefores. Just once, in 37 years, do I want to see JB take some of these off the court issues seriously. Just once, see him make a statement like Baron did last night. You did wrong off the court. You don't play in the first half. Just once.

I think the divide is that for a lot of those people, they have been waiting for discipline for a long time. And as others have said, JB never says the right thing in these situitions. Jake had a great post about what jb could have said. MCW didn't injure anyone but stealing is a serious offense. Let's not poo poo that. You guys on the other side are right about one thing without question. It's never going to change. Why us on the other side get worked up about it, is probably just plain crazy.
Not sure what the 'you guys' means. If he did something wrong, I want him punished to fit the crime. My problem is the people who make an assumption and treat it as fact. And it's not limited to just this circumstance. That's all. Peace

Nothing even remotely like that. Very bad example on your part. I don't need to know the why's and wherefores. Just once, in 37 years, do I want to see JB take some of these off the court issues seriously. Just once, see him make a statement like Baron did last night. You did wrong off the court. You don't play in the first half. Just once.

Attention SU alumni i speak to you tonight to tell you mcw was caught at L &T with merchandise he didnt pay for.in his back pack, he was ordered to pay 500 and no further action was taken, i ask you for donations for mike to help pay his credit card bill. Thank you for your time and special shout out to dash at syracusefan.com fist bump buddy !

JB has been consistent, but a lot of people here just don't like it.

I agree that JB has been consistent in the way he has handled his players and dealt with the media over the years. It's one of his more admirable qualities, in my opinion. But sometimes situations dictate that concessions be made, if only incremental ones.

In the post-Penn State/Bernie Fine world, rigid consistency doesn't seem to be the way to go and is likely to end up biting you in the ass. JB and the powers that be at Syracuse University should understand this as well as anyone. That they might not is disappointing.

Attention SU alumni i speak to you tonight to tell you mcw was caught at L &T with merchandise he didnt pay for.in his back pack, he was ordered to pay 500 and no further action was taken, i ask you for donations for mike to help pay his credit card bill. Thank you for your time and special shout out to dash at syracusefan.com fist bump buddy !

Attention NCAA, I must alert you to the fact that a man named albanycuse is trying to raise money for a basketball player at syracuse. Said person knows it is an ncaa violation. Don't hurt the school but do all you can do to get him committed to the insane asylum he belongs in.

. And as others have said, JB never says the right thing in these situitions.

I think the majority would agree with you on that...or at least I know I do.

Jb didn't play him because Dion disrespected him. I guess that is an offense serious enough to sit. Hit a girl, not so much.
So you do now admit he does do things privately if it involves his team. If someone did something JB disapproved of he may do something privately.

JB has been consistent in his approach to off-court transgressions. He rarely, if ever, intervenes. I understand you would like a different approach. But don't you value consistency? Wouldn't it have been unfair to MCW to now institute your preferred treatment?

Attention NCAA, I must alert you to the fact that a man named albanycuse is trying to raise money for a basketball player at syracuse. Said person knows it is an ncaa violation. Don't hurt the school but do all you can do to get him committed to the insane asylum he belongs in.
I m posting from there already!

So you do now admit he does do things privately if it involves his team. If someone did something JB disapproved of he may do something privately.

JB has been consistent in his approach to off-court transgressions. He rarely, if ever, intervenes. I understand you would like a different approach. But don't you value consistency? Wouldn't it have been unfair to MCW to now institute your preferred treatment?
I don't look at consistentcy as a virtue when it is wrong. It sounds like my golf game. I hit it the same way all the time. That sure don't make it right.

How would that be fair? You mean having JB start a whole new process and selectively applying it now to MCW as his first?

JB has been consistent, but a lot of people here just don't like it.

And as to 'Bees other comparison, that guy on the other team broke his team rules. If team rules had been broken, JB would probably do something - see Dion and his game. It is not JB's style to publically state things of that nature. I can certainly see why - he gets second guessed on Everything.

I'm just saying it would have been fair had it happened. Not saying JB should have done anything more than he did. He knows how to handle his players better than we do.

I really don't care how this looks to Joe Cardinal Fan or Joe Hoya Fan. They will hate JB anyway. I just hate all the second guessing by our own fans.

I agree that JB has been consistent in the way he has handled his players and dealt with the media over the years. It's one of his more admirable qualities, in my opinion. But sometimes situations dictate that concessions be made, if only incremental ones.

In the post-Penn State/Bernie Fine world, rigid consistency doesn't seem to be the way to go and is likely to end up biting you in the ass. JB and the powers that be at Syracuse University should understand this as well as anyone. That they might not is disappointing.
I really don't think the lesson from the Bernie situation should be punish someone based on what the press says/wants.

People want JB to react to something the PS brought up. That would be a terrible precedent and just the wrong thing to do.

While I, too, didn't like the quote, remember JB mentioned it was taken out of context. Do people really have a hard time believing that? It is now a pretty routine gimic out of the PS, yet people are blasting JB.

And as to 'Bees other comparison, that guy on the other team broke his team rules.

I think you're on to something there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I really don't think the lesson from the Bernie situation should be punish someone based on what the press says/wants.

People want JB to react to something the PS brought up. That would be a terrible precedent and just the wrong thing to do.

While I, too, didn't like the quote, remember JB mentioned it was taken out of context. Do people really have a hard time believing that? It is now a pretty routine gimic out of the PS, yet people are blasting JB.
the P.S. didn't take the quote out of context. Everyone who says something that blows up a bit on them says that. The something that the P.S. brought up was not made up by them. MCW was detained for shop lifting. Believe me when I tell you this, the P.S. has the goods on this and JB knows it. At his presser on saturday night, JB didn't take exception to what was written. We all know, Jimmy isn't shy about saying something isn't true.

This thread is the poster child for why players should be paid or should be allowed to make money off of their celebrity. MCW is selling tickets, jersey, and newspapers but is unable to make a dime during his time in school. If he was able to make money he probably wouldn't be stealing (it doesn't make it right) if he wasn't a celebrity he wouldn't be in the papers or on twitter. (note there were 2 other people with him but their names are not in the paper) If players were paid they could be fired or fined or lose endorsements for doing the stupid things they do.

Please don't give me the scholarship argument: "Hey kid come play at our school so we can make millions off of you and in reward we won't charge you for it!" You want to clean up our program and EVERY program remove the veil from the economics. In Europe players turn pro at 14 and play for regional club teams as the players progress they make more money and play at higher levels of competition. The kids who aren't good enough or don't want to play anymore move on with lives making a fair market dollar wage for their efforts. I friend of mine who is Eastern European paid his way though college this way. The money he made wasn't huge (college is much cheaper there) but he was able to help his family and it was hard work so players didn't have the self entitlement that players go here. Players were docked pay for all types of things but it was all on the up and up.

I think you're on to something there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
And when someone like Dion does something JB thinks is out of line, ie a team rule, JB will institute a punishment. JB doesn't like to go public with them.

A PS made for hits, news cycle article, does not constitute breaking team rules in JB's books.

I'm certainly no fan of how the Post-Standard and many other media outlets conduct themselves these days. And I'm all for JB disciplining his players however he sees fit, and don't believe he needs to share the specifics with anyone.

I just feel the University didn't do itself any favors by retreating into a shell in this particular situation. I find calling this incident a "misunderstanding" and essentially leaving JB out there to present this position to be insulting. As I said earlier, if it were merely a harmless misunderstanding, I would think the University would be eager to provide details and put this thing to bed.

Devendorf did not punch the girl. He shoved her away, but hit her in the face while doing so. She was getting up in his face and he overreacted. It's a far cry from throwing a punch and intending to inflict harm. That's why JB defended Devo. He was being railroaded in the media. The girl was every bit to blame for that altercation as he was. His problem is that he reacted physically instead of walking away.

I love syracuse baskeball. It is by far my favorite team. But we have had a lot of troubles.
You're the naive one if you think the same sort of "troubles" aren't going on in every major program, year after year.
If it pains you so badly to follow such a morally corrupt team, with a regular Caligula at the helm—well, perhaps you ought to reconsider some things.

You're the naive one if you think the same sort of "troubles" aren't going on in every major program, year after year.
If it pains you so badly to follow such a morally corrupt team, with a regular Caligula at the helm—well, perhaps you ought to reconsider some things.
Whoa! i actually agree with something you said.