Is there a coach more loyal than JB? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is there a coach more loyal than JB?

This whole topic, in my mind, is what ultimately doomed Joe Paterno to not reacting properly when the Sandusky thing came to his attention. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES. I am simply saying that as a high major D1 coach and athletic dept staff, you must become so desensitized to legal problems with your players that the damage control reaction must be nearly automatic. Imagine how many issues there are on something the size of a football team. I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't at least weekly activity related to misconduct, ethics, possible NCAA violations, criminal behavior, etc by players. Any coach who doesn't figure out how to keep his players on the field/court through this stuff wouldn't be coaching for very long. That's just the reality. So it always struck me that when allegations came in against Sandusky, it could have been such a routine thing to pressure different areas of the university or even local authorities, that it just got added to that week's pile. I AM MAKING NO MORAL EQUIVALENCIES.

Sorry, but that's just bizarre. Something is seriously wrong with a system if allegations regarding child molestation are getting lost in the noise. If that's an acceptable norm, rather than the rare exception, we're all f*cked.

The one thing this whole episode proves is that many fans second-guess everything JB does, on the court or off. I think JB is much closer to the MCW situation than any of us, that most of us know very little of what actually happened, or what consequences have or haven't come into play, yet many feel capable of finding fault with what they assume JB did or didn't do. There seems to be a lot of underlying dislike for JB for how he does his job in general, giving him less leeway than we'd want to be given in the same situation. I don't believe he's beyond reproach, but it's his job to manage these situations and has a framework within which he has to operate, just like all of us. If SU doesn't like how he does his job, they can correct him. I'm ok with a public or private punishment, or none at all if that's what JB & SU decide is appropriate. It may never be publicized, be fair, or be what any of us would do in the same situation, but I don't expect it to be that way.

how do we know jb didnt rip him a new one in private? maybe he said to him "you pull a stunt like this again and youre off the team." he didnt suspend him, that doesnt mean he completely ignored it and is acting like nothing happened behind closed doors.

how do we know jb didnt rip him a new one in private? maybe he said to him "you pull a stunt like this again and youre off the team." he didnt suspend him, that doesnt mean he completely ignored it and is acting like nothing happened behind closed doors.
Exactly , too many people think they are owed an explanation because they went to SU and are a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I thought having a game would stop this noise, guess not.

Let's not pretend to know what disciple was levied or not and just focus on the milestone that is coming tomorrow.

Let's Go Orange

Because a lot of folks on this board think they know exactly what went down behind closed doors. As was stated before, a lot of people don't know the difference between knowing and assuming.

another incident albeit a minor one and the chief goes to battle for his players. If you let the team and the coaches down he will never throw you under the bus, Ever. Once you commit to play for him you have chuck norris in your foxhole for life. Thats the way it should be.
This is probably the dumbest post in history.

Because a lot of folks on this board think they know exactly what went down behind closed doors. As was stated before, a lot of people don't know the difference between knowing and assuming.

For all we know, the "unnamed sources" could have been Iggy and Blue Curtain.

Personally, I'd like to know the whole story before I sentence the kid to a public flogging.

Exactly , too many people think they are owed an explanation because they went to SU and are a fan.

It's not so much a complete explanation and full disclosure of how MCW has been disciplined that I'm looking for (none of us are entitled to that), but I'd like to see the University do more than have Boeheim call the incident a "misunderstanding" and have Gross make some generic PR statements that I had to read about in a Bud Poliquin column.

After all that happened with the Fine situation, I just expected something like this would have been handled more smoothly by the administration and athletic department. In my opinion, everyone involved dropped the ball on this one.

Fair enough, I think.
How would that be fair? You mean having JB start a whole new process and selectively applying it now to MCW as his first?

JB has been consistent, but a lot of people here just don't like it.

And as to 'Bees other comparison, that guy on the other team broke his team rules. If team rules had been broken, JB would probably do something - see Dion and his game. It is not JB's style to publically state things of that nature. I can certainly see why - he gets second guessed on Everything.

It's not so much a complete explanation and full disclosure of how MCW has been disciplined that I'm looking for (none of us are entitled to that), but I'd like to see the University do more than have Boeheim call the incident a "misunderstanding" and have Gross make some generic PR statements that I had to read about in a Bud Poliquin column.

After all that happened with the Fine situation, I just expected something like this would have been handled more smoothly by the administration and athletic department. In my opinion, everyone involved dropped the ball on this one.
Maybe it was a misunderstanding? Maybe JB ripped his butt in the locker room in front of everyone. Maybe , maybe, maybe. We werent there dont know what happened and a lot of people are judging/labeling him with no facts. Why should JB shed light on something when it was meant to remain in the dark.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding? Maybe JB ripped his butt in the locker room in front of everyone. Maybe , maybe, maybe. We werent there dont know what happened and a lot of people are judging/labeling him with no facts. Why should JB shed light on something when it was to remain in the dark.

Maybe it's me, but if MCW did bring merchandise into a dressing room, put it in his backpack and then walk out of the store (as he apparently did), calling that a "misunderstanding" seems odd.

If it was all just a crazy misunderstanding, I'd imagine MCW, JB and the University would be more than willing to provide the details.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding? Maybe JB ripped his butt in the locker room in front of everyone. Maybe , maybe, maybe. We werent there dont know what happened and a lot of people are judging/labeling him with no facts. Why should JB shed light on something when it was meant to remain in the dark.

I agree with you. Hard to know exactly what happened between JB and MCW. JB has a history of keeping this in-house stuff private. He does not feel the need to publically state what he has done. I think that bothers a lot of people here.

When is the last time we've seen JB publically express disappointment with a players personal actions? He kept the Dion stuff private. He never said a bad word about Fab.

We can just go back to all of the times that JB has disciplined players in the past. You know, like in never. Face it, it's not what he does. Nothing is ever more important than winning the next basketball game. Nothing. I love syracuse basketball. I want to win every game. I always want the school and the program to have respect. Not just on the court. But to be considered a class school and program. Having issues like this don't get us that.

I agree with you. Hard to know exactly what happened between JB and MCW. JB has a history of keeping this in-house stuff private. He does not feel the need to publically state what he has done. I think that bothers a lot of people here.

When is the last time we've seen JB publically express disappointment with a players personal actions? He kept the Dion stuff private. He never said a bad word about Fab.
People should ask their bosses at work how come they get no explanations or say when their companies implant rules or regulations. But but but i work here is no defense.

We can just go back to all of the times that JB has disciplined players in the past. You know, like in never. Face it, it's not what he does. Nothing is ever more important than winning the next basketball game. Nothing. I love syracuse basketball. I want to win every game. I always want the school and the program to have respect. Not just on the court. But to be considered a class school and program. Having issues like this don't get us that.
Didn't realize you were an assistant coach for all of JB's years... How else could you know what JB has done in terms of discipline outside of the public view?

Mike Edwards went on a hammar the car windows on M street tear. He got caught. JB said that while he didn't agree with what Edwards did, he understood it. That was when I knew that jb would never enforce discipline on this program. He understood a kid damaging cars owned by people that had nothing to do with Edwards?

Nice Post

People should ask their bosses at work how come they get no explanations or say when their companies implant rules or regulations. But but but i work here is no defense.

Silly

Didn't realize you were an assistant coach for all of JB's years... How else could you know what JB has done in terms of discipline outside of the public view?
It's not hard to know when you have friends inside the program and that follow the program very closely, including ass't coaches for the last 30 years.

Classy programs with strict ethics dont win games. Does messed up things happen ? Sure does. Is it right ? Heck no. As long as no one gets hurt , abused , injured or anything that involves a felony i could care less.

Classy programs with strict ethics dont win games. Does messed up things happen ? Sure does. Is it right ? Heck no. As long as no one gets hurt , abused , injured or anything that involves a felony i could care less.

People have been hurt. And rising to a felony, you have low standards. Very low. Just win baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom