Is there any team now that doesn't play zone? | Syracusefan.com

Is there any team now that doesn't play zone?

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
Except for maybe Duke.

Pre 2003, zone was fairly rare, now most games I watch both teams switch to it occasionally (GTech/Pitt last night being the latest). I realize that SU's zone is better, but the old thought that SU had an advantage in the NCAA because the other team had no zone experience is now obsolete. Not only have they played against it, but it is likely they have it in their defense package.

Thinking to a recent thread, I wonder if this has helped with recruiting in a small way, in that there is less of a stigma of going to SU (because you won't play MTM). The NBA's use of the zone probably has also helps in this regard.

Duke toys with it here and there as well. Certainly you are correct that most teams now have some sort of zone that they employ from time to time although the 2-3's we see cannot hold a candle to ours. I also agree that the stigma is going away and its now pretty much our calling card. I think it helps to an extent showing or explaining to certain recruits how they fit in well with our defensive scheme.

Wisconsin plays no zone at all ever that I have seen and its going to cost them this year as teams attack their weakness of defending the dribble drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom