Is this JB's final season? | Syracusefan.com

Is this JB's final season?

Fjoinkay

Starter
I hope not. I hope he sticks around for a few more years and coaches past the ridiculous off-court issues that surely must be driving him crazy (assuming of course that he had no idea and no reason to have any idea anything inappropriate was going on with Fine).

I hope so, since just about the only thing that would make him think of retiring this year is winning it all...

I hope so, since just about the only thing that would make him think of retiring this year is winning it all...

IF we win TWFT this year, I actually fully expect JAB to retire.

I think he stays one more. He says records don't matter to him, but I'll bet he'd like to finish ahead of Knight which will happen for sure next year. He won't catch K though.

IMO, he has two more seasons.

I think he stays one more. He says records don't matter to him, but I'll bet he'd like to finish ahead of Knight which will happen for sure next year. He won't catch K though.

My thoughts exactly.. One more year minimum.

I hope he doesn't retire after this season even if they win it all, but if they do win it all I wouldn't be surprised if he did retire and I couldn't blame him if he did.

He gets so much less respect for what he has done than the other guys on that list it's not even close. His methods are unique and they don't inspire the same kind of respect perhaps, but he has won consistently for decades and it's a remarkable accomplishment not to mention that he remains at the top of the game.

If we win the title, I could absolutely see him walking away.

But if we get Noel...no way does he walk away.

he has a minimum of two more years in him i just cant see Jim ever stepping away he seems so young and so into coaching

He says records don't matter to him.

I always think it's funny when coaches or players say that. They're the most fiery competitors in every other facet of the game, but when it comes to their historical legacy in their profession, suddenly they don't care.

It's like when a normal person tells you that they don't want any attention at all on their birthday, but you know deep down they do.

True, and I think he deserves a little more respect than he is getting in the national media. I'm sure he's used to it by now.

Why retire? He has got ot be enjoying this.
At some point I'm sure he'd like to be able to just be a dad and watch his kids go through school (presumably playing hoops) as a father and not a coach.

I always think it's funny when coaches or players say that. They're the most fiery competitors in every other facet of the game, but when it comes to their historical legacy in their profession, suddenly they don't care.

It's like when a normal person tells you that they don't want any attention at all on their birthday, but you know deep down they do.

JB saying records dont matter is like when an athlete says "Its not about the money"...

I'm thinking two-three years max. He has to go out ahead of knight. Id be disapointed in the fabric of his being if he doesn't slide Bobby down the ladder. Other side of the coin is making sure Hopkins has a full cupboard. HE needs to outlast calHound and get ahead of knight. would have been better for Noel in 13 then hop could go into the acc with the best player in the country perhaps. He scared me when he said last yr u never know when ur last game is. I think he about done.

He's at 880 right now. Let's be optimistic and say we win out; 6 BE games + 3 BET games+ 6 NCAA wins= 15.

That leaves him at 895. Would he really leave before he got to 900 at this point?

At some point I'm sure he'd like to be able to just be a dad and watch his kids go through school (presumably playing hoops) as a father and not a coach.

I always got the sense he had the family life to boot...

I would think he would want to be here for DC2 and finish out whatever time is left for Syracuse in the BE. I would not be surprised if he does not coach a game when we move to the ACC. Pure speculation but it would not shock me if he steps down when we ultimately move to the ACC.

We hear this reason all the time for why he is likely to retire, but honestly do you really think he would hang it up because he will miss a few of his kids' games. I wouldn't expect him to coach the teams so he doesn't need to be able to make all their practices. I bet he'd make a reasonable number of their games without having to work that hard to alter his schedule, but I also bet he could alter his schedule and/or theirs to a degree to make some additional ones if push came to shove.

If he doesn't retire at the end of this season with all of the added stress that had to come from dealing with the Fine Mess, I don't know that I would expect him to go out right away especially the way we are presently recruiting. But, then again what do I know??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom