Is this team top 25 material right now? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this team top 25 material right now?

I agree 100%. But the perception was that McCord was not a Top 10 portal QB. I don't think voters are going to put SU in the preseason Top 25 because of McCord.

We're not going to be preseason top 25.

But in previous years, we'd have to start 3-0 or 4-0 just to get in the others receiving votes.

I don't think that will be the case this year if we can win our first 2-4 home games**.

** I know Ohio is a good MAC team, and I know what GT did to us last year, so I'm not saying it will be easy.

We were good in the 90s, it's been pretty much the past 25 years when we have mostly been mediocre to bad. I'll take a return to the 90s in a New York minute.
Agreed. I'm just referring to those soul-crushing losses against inferior teams like East Carolina, Minnesota, NC State, etc. Meaning I never underestimate anyone because of having lived through all those games.

Agreed. I'm just referring to those soul-crushing losses against inferior teams like East Carolina, Minnesota, NC State, etc. Meaning I never underestimate anyone because of having lived through all those games.
That was always my biggest thing with P. He always lost games he shouldn’t have and they typically happened early in the season. I don’t know if it was lack of focus/discipline/accountable, or the players lacked conditioning to start the season? But those losses always kept us from monster seasons, especially getting out to a hot start and being ranked higly through the first 4-6 weeks.

One time, at Dome camp, we hired a Superbowl ring wearing coach who brought in a flashy offense and recruited kids the prior head coach couldn't even get to talk to him. And then our program died. Do I think HCFB is a program killer? Not at all. Most of us didn't think Robinson was either. My point is, we don't know what we don't know. I'm old now. I've learned it's better not to put unrealistic expectations on a recruit, coach, etc. Syracuse's problems won't disappear. Hopefully HCFB finds a way to work within our limits and still be successful. For now, I remain cautiously optimistic.

ACC Championship worthy? CFB playoffs qorthy? I am pumped for the season and am amazed at what Coach Brown and his crew have accomplished so far.

We're getting into the top tier, that's for sure.
Still feels like we might be a couple pieces short right now.
Another big inside DL. We just got that cover corner. Backup QB. One more RB.

Yes. They will become one. Wouldn't be surprised if they got a random preseason vote to start.

This team is top 10 is returning production in CFB at 74% per Connelly at ESPN.

Add in the fact that mostly same depleted roster last year got to 6 wins.

Add in the fact the roster has got significantly better and deeper.

Finally, Coaching upgrade, schedule is favorable, have some national attention going on within cfb world.

All the ingredients are there.

To be fair to DIno, we had some national attention with those 6-0 starts the last couple years.

recruiting and talent upgrade, coaching TBD. That's the biggest question going in.

I think "in game coaching" is what you're focusing on.

It looks to me like practice coaching is out of this world. Everyone comments on how focused and competitive they are on every snap, how well organized the practices are, run with great pace.

Those are really good signs for the in-game decision making. These guys DO seem decisive. That will help a lot. And we have enough former coordinators for big teams on staff that the game planning should be solid.

To be fair to DIno, we had some national attention with those 6-0 starts the last couple years.
True. But wasn't that developed as the season started, it wasn't going into the year. When you start with no hype/preseason votes, it's difficult to break that barrier.

Example) 2019 we had hype going into the year. (Preseason ranked 20-25 iirc). If they didn't butcher the Maryland game. We get Gameday at only 2-0.

True. But wasn't that developed as the season started, it wasn't going into the year. When you start with no hype/preseason votes, it's difficult to break that barrier.

Example) 2019 we had hype going into the year. (Preseason ranked 20-25 iirc). If they didn't butcher the Maryland game. We get Gameday at only 2-0.
I really think Special teams will be the difference between a good or great year.
The other pieces seem to be coming into place.

That punting in the spring game didnt help me feel great. Not sure I trust Fgs either.

FGs cost us a few times last year with a team that needed all the help it could get.
We have really good soccer players, maybe hold a tryout

Last edited:
The style of how we win combined with the media momentum is what will get us into the top 25 sooner rather than later if we start on a heater.

ESPN will *want* to write our story or feature us on a gameday segment if we roll out like 4-0 or 5-0.

If we start strong, Fran's story is going to be catnip for media outlets. McCord, too, if he starts putting up stats.

All of that will help us get votes.

The style of how we win combined with the media momentum is what will get us into the top 25 sooner rather than later if we start on a heater.

ESPN will *want* to write our story or feature us on a gameday segment if we roll out like 4-0 or 5-0.

If we start strong, Fran's story is going to be catnip for media outlets. McCord, too, if he starts putting up stats.

All of that will help us get votes.

And we have a coach who isn’t afraid to have media around talking to players/coaches

I decided to travel up for that one. I thought about Ohio, but GT will be easier to get friends to go.
Just tell them Ohio State...then say, oh did I say Ohio State? Sorry, my bad...here have some more beer.

I'm with you, we had a lot of those headscratcher games in the 90s (always seemed to happen early in the year) but they were during 7,8,9-win seasons in 11-game schedules. Hell, I would gladly take some headscratcher losses now if we consistently were winning 8, 9, 10 games in 12-game schedules.

One time, at Dome camp, we hired a Superbowl ring wearing coach who brought in a flashy offense and recruited kids the prior head coach couldn't even get to talk to him. And then our program died. Do I think HCFB is a program killer? Not at all. Most of us didn't think Robinson was either. My point is, we don't know what we don't know. I'm old now. I've learned it's better not to put unrealistic expectations on a recruit, coach, etc. Syracuse's problems won't disappear. Hopefully HCFB finds a way to work within our limits and still be successful. For now, I remain cautiously optimistic.
Ummm Greg was arguably the worst coach in possibly football history. There were warning signs immediately. Like guys not having set lifting regimens. And he never recruited before either. He was at the college level a brief time.

We’re allowed to raise the stakes a little too. Not everything needs to be so damn negative.

Ummm Greg was arguably the worst coach in possibly football history. There were warning signs immediately. Like guys not having set lifting regimens. And he never recruited before either. He was at the college level a brief time.

We’re allowed to raise the stakes a little too. Not everything needs to be so damn negative.
Well it was more than a brief time. He was in college from 1975-89 but to your point, it had been 15 years by the time he got to SU.

If HCFB had previous head coaching experience I'd be confident in top 25 for sure. The players already brought in are certainly an upgrade, but I can't go all in till I actually see season play out. One thing I can confidently feel good in, is the dumb penalties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom