Is this team top 25 material right now? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is this team top 25 material right now?

One time, at Dome camp, we hired a Superbowl ring wearing coach who brought in a flashy offense and recruited kids the prior head coach couldn't even get to talk to him. And then our program died. Do I think HCFB is a program killer? Not at all. Most of us didn't think Robinson was either. My point is, we don't know what we don't know. I'm old now. I've learned it's better not to put unrealistic expectations on a recruit, coach, etc. Syracuse's problems won't disappear. Hopefully HCFB finds a way to work within our limits and still be successful. For now, I remain cautiously optimistic.
When is the last time we saw Syracuse recruit like we are doing now? 28 years at the best. You are correct, we don't know if the guy can coach a game yet. But I would take my chances that the increased talent alone will be enough to make us pretty good.

We're not going to be preseason top 25.

But in previous years, we'd have to start 3-0 or 4-0 just to get in the others receiving votes.

I don't think that will be the case this year if we can win our first 2-4 home games**.

** I know Ohio is a good MAC team, and I know what GT did to us last year, so I'm not saying it will be easy.
Tech hot us when we were almost asking me to play qb. We were a crippled team. Throw that game out.

We were good enough to be a 7-8 win team last year. A healthy schrader is a deadly weapon to have. Dino completely mismanaged a good thing and had 0 foresight on fixing the trenches. Fran just seems much more of a deep thinker. He knows exactly how to run a modern program.

I believe Gary Anderson was first a Soccer player.
He went to Syracuse for football with the promise he could also play soccer. Played soccer for 2 years. Grew up in South Africa and didn’t play high school football though.

Most talented team in many moons that’s a fact. I don’t think the in game coaching can be any worse then Dinos teams. So I say 8-4 floor this year and an unlikely ceiling of like 11-1. Completely getting a lift with our schedule and that’s a perfect way to start HCFBs campaign. So with those records you should be a fringe top 25 team at the floor (8-4) and definitely in it at 9-3 or greater. I think we will get ranked at some point in 2024.

One time, at Dome camp, we hired a Superbowl ring wearing coach who brought in a flashy offense and recruited kids the prior head coach couldn't even get to talk to him. And then our program died. Do I think HCFB is a program killer? Not at all. Most of us didn't think Robinson was either. My point is, we don't know what we don't know. I'm old now. I've learned it's better not to put unrealistic expectations on a recruit, coach, etc. Syracuse's problems won't disappear. Hopefully HCFB finds a way to work within our limits and still be successful. For now, I remain cautiously optimistic.
I did. Knew about him from KC. I was sick when he was hired. Good person. Horrible fit for SU.

Vegas also had Michigan at plus money for 9.5 wins (won 15), Washington at 7.5 (won 14), FSU 10 (won 13), Oregon 9.5 (won 12), etc etc etc

Vegas is in it to make money. They wanna be right more than not, but vegas doesn't specifically know.
Season win over unders are some of the easiest bets for Vegas to control due to the long lead up time.

If Kyle stays healthy i think we will end up in the top 20 and we really do have a chance to make the acc championship game. The O is going to be really hard to stop.
Kyle will make an NFL roster.
LA and Willis both have NFL talent.
OG is a future pro.
The wr from CState also has pro potential.
Dan is a weapon.
The line has size talent and depth.
The wr room is arguably the best i have seen in 30 years.
So, we are going to put up point, possibly lots of them.
The D looks solid, not great but they will be able to hang with every team we play.

The obvious is to stay healthy and if we do i don't see a game on schedule that i look at as a loss. Not one. There are three maybe four that will be very tough, but every game is winnable. I don't see anyone blowing us out. We really do have a chance to make some noise this year.

If we win 8 thats great.
If we are good 10 is for the taking

But where does that get us in the big picture 12 team playoff

In the crazy train world where the bigs only loses to bigs the playoff talk will be nuts

ACC
Let FSU run the table so 12-0
Clemson loses to GA and FSU 10-2
NC st loses to Tenn and Clem 10-2
That makes UNC 10-2
SU loses to NC st 11-1
Miami loses to SU and FSU 10-2

B10
Mich goes 12-0
OSu goes 11-1
PSU goes 11-1
Ore goes 10-2
Wash 9-3
USC goes 10-2
Iowa goes 10-2

SEC
Ga goes 12-0
Ala goes 11-1
Tex goes 10-2
OK goes 10-2
Mizzu 10-2
Ole miss 10-2

B12
Ok st 12-0
Kan 12-0
Utah 11-1

I didn't even really go down all the schedules either to see if more teams can get crazy 10+ win seasons.

ACC ends up with FSU and 3 way tie for 2nd.

21 10 win teams.

I know everyone is keying on offense with all the weapons we have now but i am really excited for this defense. Diggs could be the first DE taken next year in draft. Kid has thst much going for him. We aint got no one who can block him and i am not sure anyone can. It all starts with him. Once they start doubling him and i promise they will, it will open us up on backside for sacks and pressure that we havent seen since Freeney. With our backers and backup backers we can run sideline to sideline and if Lewis can cover top guys until our pressure hits thenwe are gonna be dangerous. Now also not getting quick three and outs on o will help us stsy rested but so will our depth. We are a top ten team with all we have done so far. I truly feel that. Lets see if I am wrong here.

ACC Championship worthy? CFB playoffs qorthy? I am pumped for the season and am amazed at what Coach Brown and his crew have accomplished so far.
Beano would have said we have some materials.

If Kyle stays healthy i think we will end up in the top 20
Obviously we will all be praying that Kyle stays healthy all year. If he does, it will be the first time since Nassib in 2012 that we had a healthy QB from start to finish. We have had shockingly bad luck with Dungey, Garrett and others never being able to finish a full season.

It's imperative that Fran has a genuine contingency plan where we can still actually function as a football team if Kyle can't play for whatever reason.

Still have nightmares about the last time we debuted a pro/west coast offense at the dome vs WVU. It wasn’t pretty.

Still have nightmares about the last time we debuted a pro/west coast offense at the dome vs WVU. It wasn’t pretty.
That game still hurts. We were all so pumped for a new beginning. Instead we got Gergs 'the little engine that could' 4 years later. Ouch, bad memories right there:(

I know everyone is keying on offense with all the weapons we have now but i am really excited for this defense. Diggs could be the first DE taken next year in draft. Kid has thst much going for him. We aint got no one who can block him and i am not sure anyone can. It all starts with him. Once they start doubling him and i promise they will, it will open us up on backside for sacks and pressure that we havent seen since Freeney. With our backers and backup backers we can run sideline to sideline and if Lewis can cover top guys until our pressure hits thenwe are gonna be dangerous. Now also not getting quick three and outs on o will help us stsy rested but so will our depth. We are a top ten team with all we have done so far. I truly feel that. Lets see if I am wrong here.
I think we will be a solid team next year but top 10 is a stretch. And I really like that we brought Diggs in as he will be a very solid player for us. I feel like Diggs is just a solid all around DE and great character guy and leader. But he only had 36 tackles and 4 sacks all of last season. I don’t see him dominating by pressuring QB’s. If he has been unblockable in the spring I’m not exactly liking that. I think that is more of an inditement of poor OT pass blocking than anything. But hey, hopefully not and he has just improved his pass rushing a drastic amount.

I really like the Lewis add as we needed more CB depth but I don’t expect him to be a lockdown guy as he was not even starting this past season. But I think he could be fairly solid.

Itook is on the over at 7.5 a couple weeks ago. Wish I made my bet before when it was 6.5. I expect a good record as our schedule is so soft. But rankings will take that into account.

I think we have a small chance to get to the playoff but we will need to get an auto bid by winning the conference. And we have an outside shot of doing that. Nobody will be picking us as an at large to be in the playoff with our soft schedule.

Coach Hicks told me that this is the most talented Defensive front they’ve had since 2000ish (Pettijohn/Freeney/Downey/Simpkins/Etc.).

He said that was the most talented group they ever had here as a whole and this group rivals it.

Coach Hicks told me that this is the most talented Defensive front they’ve had since 2000ish (Pettijohn/Freeney/Downey/Simpkins/Etc.).

He said that was the most talented group they ever had here as a whole and this group rivals it.
Like x1000

I agree with him.

I think we will be a solid team next year but top 10 is a stretch. And I really like that we brought Diggs in as he will be a very solid player for us. I feel like Diggs is just a solid all around DE and great character guy and leader. But he only had 36 tackles and 4 sacks all of last season. I don’t see him dominating by pressuring QB’s. If he has been unblockable in the spring I’m not exactly liking that. I think that is more of an inditement of poor OT pass blocking than anything. But hey, hopefully not and he has just improved his pass rushing a drastic amount.

I really like the Lewis add as we needed more CB depth but I don’t expect him to be a lockdown guy as he was not even starting this past season. But I think he could be fairly solid.
Diggs 11 TFL would have put him 11th in the ACC and .5 behind the Cuse leader, Wax (in almost half the snaps). Did I mention Diggs did that splitting snaps almost 50/50 with his teamates and did it against SEC lines?

He may or may not take the step to elite, but double digit TFL in the SEC is way above 'solid'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom