Is this the least talented team in Syracuse University men's basketball history? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this the least talented team in Syracuse University men's basketball history?

Then what is it? (coaching...?)

That. Along with a mixture of multiple things, but the covid craziness, and Sid going down in 4 minutes being at the top, IMO. This team has put up 100 twice. We still have time to right the ship. There's no shame in losing at Clemson. There is shame in how they played, but it's time for them to take a look in the mirror, and decide if they want to be embarrassed anymore.

JB is trying to play the same way he did when he had elite talent. Without that kind of talent you need to run some kind of continuation offense that occupies all five defensive players. High screen and rolls are useless unless you have guard# who can beat you off the bounce. This zone requires length and athletes. This team lacks both.

JB is trying to play the same way he did when he had elite talent. Without that kind of talent you need to run some kind of continuation offense that occupies all five defensive players. High screen and rolls are useless unless you have guard# who can beat you off the bounce. This zone requires length and athletes. This team lacks both.
Good post. And...when you lack elite talent and are below average athletically, you better be really good at schemes, teaching and developing talent, fundamentals, and game planning. These are things that are increasingly being exposed.

I think it's hard to compare because if JB coached this team the way he coached some of the lesser talented squads of the past, they would probably look a lot better.

The current staff should write thank you letters to Rak, Gbinije, Battle and Hughes weekly

our programs complacent with mediocrity.

The Ship’s choosing to go down with the Captain.

There are true believers on here that believe if the coach is taking the program down then that is his right cause he built it... so he has every right to destroy it .. can you imagine that mentality being accepted in any other endeavor of life ?

“Hey .. I fed and clothed you kids growing up .. so if I decide to now ruin your lives .. that’s my right “

That, and when the guard never passes to the roller, it only ends up in a seal-off double team. Drives me crazy!

we are now throwing away our last marque sport. if jb loves the orange he will announce his retirement after the season. the damage is almost irreparable.

So does Wildhack have difficult conversations with JB about the direction of our program and where it's been heading or does everyone in cuse walk on eggshells when it comes to JB? Not that a conversation would change our issues but just curious what others thought on how things are handled on the hill when it comes to JB. Guys a legend and rightfully so...he has literally built our program but when does someone step in and give him a little push?

Not remotely close to accurate. We lost 27 games in a row in 1961-62. We were legitimately one of the worst teams in the country then

Thank you for the perspective.

As a respected poster, I would like to know if you believe this is the least talented team of the last 4 decades.

I believe that it is.

Purely talent the sum of this team is greater than the 2018 sweet 16 team. Talent wasn’t why that group won games.

Purely talent the sum of this team is greater than the 2018 sweet 16 team. Talent wasn’t why that group won games.
Huh? The only current starter that starts on that team is Guerrier. Seems like that means that team was better.

Huh? The only current starter that starts on that team is Guerrier. Seems like that means that team was better.
Huh? That team was better but the question is talent. I said the total talent on this team is greater than the total talent on that team.

And Marek started the last 17 games of that season lol

Huh? That team was better but the question is talent. I said the total talent on this team is greater than the total talent on that team.

And Marek started the last 17 games of that season lol
Yeah and hes the same guy today starting every game and playing 35 mins. Not like hes made some big jump.

Yeah and hes the same guy today starting every game and playing 35 mins. Not like hes made some big jump.
Matt Moyer got burn on that team and he’s considerably worse than anyone who touched the court today.

Again, I would take them 100/100 over this team but it isn’t because the roster had more talent

PG - Frank Howard is light years ahead of Girard defensively. And probably better offensively, too. Which is saying a lot.

SG - Battle >>>>>>>>> Buddy. And it isn't even close.

SF - Oshae > Griffin defensively. Offensively, Griffin > Oshae but pretty close. I'd say a wash.

PF - Guerrier >>>>> Marek. One advantage.

C - Chukwu >>>>>>>>> Marek defensively. Marek >>>>> Chukwu on offense. Advantage Chukwu based on position.

Bench - Richmond is better than anyone on the bench that year, but it doesn't matter because he doesn't play enough.

Overall, that team was a good defensive team and had guards who would create. This team is not a good defensive team that has guards who cannot create.

Thank you for the perspective.

As a respected poster, I would like to know if you believe this is the least talented team of the last 4 decades.

I believe that it is.
You are welcome.

Again, I disagree. Check out the 1981-82 team. They finished the season 16-13. Generally considered JB’s worst team. This team has a lot more talent than that one. This team is about in the middle of the ACC in talent.

I think some people become emotional and say things that make no sense after a bad loss. The team played poorly. No question about that. It doesn’t mean that they are the least talented team in the last 120 years. Or the last 40 for that matter.

This team has had to deal with circumstances no Syracuse team has since at least 1918 (the pandemic of 1918 started in February of 1918. The 1917-18 team finished the season shortly after it was starting. They were the best team in the country, lost only one game, which was avenged.

They have had 3 likely victories at home taken away by the pandemic and it has affected the team in many negative ways. Strange things are going to happen during a pandemic. I suggest you calm down and give the kids a chance to get things together. There are still a lot of games to be played and the story of the season has not been told yet.

I ask again -- which team had worse talent over the last 40 years?
2000-2001or 2001-2002 didn't necessarily have a ton of talent. They were coached and the roster was managed much better though than this current crop.

Your best guard is coming off the bench. You have a Frosh Forward who was completely absent for a third of the season, a handful of big men who aren't given any chance to play, grow, develop through mistakes even though the starting Center went out four minutes into the year.

Jimmy has completely abandoned his philosophy on how his guards up top are required to play D. His starting guards don't rotate or have any ball movement.

His coaching staff is subpar outside maybe one guy.

There has been zero strength or conditioning in the program, and that's a problem when you recruit 180lb Forwards and Centers.

Are you kidding me ... Cooney was a whipping boy on that team and he would be our best player and most athletic

You are welcome.

Again, I disagree. Check out the 1981-82 team. They finished the season 16-13. Generally considered JB’s worst team. This team has a lot more talent than that one. This team is about in the middle of the ACC in talent.

I think some people become emotional and say things that make no sense after a bad loss. The team played poorly. No question about that. It doesn’t mean that they are the least talented team in the last 120 years. Or the last 40 for that matter.

This team has had to deal with circumstances no Syracuse team has since at least 1918 (the pandemic of 1918 started in February of 1918. The 1917-18 team finished the season shortly after it was starting. They were the best team in the country, lost only one game, which was avenged.

They have had 3 likely victories at home taken away by the pandemic and it has affected the team in many negative ways. Strange things are going to happen during a pandemic. I suggest you calm down and give the kids a chance to get things together. There are still a lot of games to be played and the story of the season has not been told yet.

We’re not the only team experiencing a pandemic.

Are you kidding me ... Cooney was a whipping boy on that team and he would be our best player and most athletic
Ah yeah Cooney was great for Syracuse in 2018. Reading is hard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom