Is This True? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is This True?

I'm giving you realities that I have learned from this message board. You're giving me meathead cliches without actionable solutions. If you want to complain about recruiting, fine. But come up with something different instead of "they should be doing better."
You are satisfied with our Canadian recruiting??? What you don't realize is many of Canada's best don't finish up HS in Canada. They move to the states for better competition much like US hockey kids going North. (That might have been missed in your message board reading.)
1) So, my suggestion is to follow our very recent uptick in BB recruiting strategy. Identify and offer the younger Canadian studs early. Once in the US, our chances drop dramatically.
2) Idea #2. Funnel the younger kids from Canada to a few select US prep schools. Milford Academy is close enough to make them "in our backyard".
There's 2 solid suggestions for improving just that facet of recruiting. Yours????

You are satisfied with our Canadian recruiting??? What you don't realize is many of Canada's best don't finish up HS in Canada. They move to the states for better competition much like US hockey kids. (That might have been missed in your message board reading.)
1) So, my suggestion is to follow our very recent uptick in BB recruiting strategy. Identify and offer the younger Canadian studs early. Once in the US, our chances drop dramatically.
2) Idea #2. Funnel the younger kids from Canada to a few select US prep schools. Milford Academy is close enough to make them "in our backyard".
There's 2 solid suggestions for improving just that facet of recruiting. Yours????
ID'ing potentially strong talent early and then getting them into a place where they can be seen against higher competition. Like exactly with the staff does with the camp offers you were complaining about earlier in this thread?

And I don't claim to have the answers. I just know "try harder" isn't one of them.

ID'ing potentially strong talent early and then getting them into a place where they can be seen against higher competition. Like exactly with the staff does with the camp offers you were complaining about earlier in this thread?

And I don't claim to have the answers. I just know "try harder" isn't one of them.
You obviously know nothing about Milford Academy. Search this message board you've been reading forever. It has been said to be (not by me) to be one of the most protected recruit Prep schools. Meaning if Pitt sends a kid there...He holds his Pitt commitment.
The Canadian kids going to Florida is where we loose them . Milford is in Upstate NY ... again...in our backyard. That's takes time to work that school relationship...That is work.

Name an underclassman we've offered early from Canada. Those would be pedigree kids that don't need an SU camp to be identified as a worthy talent.

My problem with so many camp offers is I'd like a few more "pedigree" type players signed. I know everyone does. But that's how I think we get better.

You are satisfied with our Canadian recruiting??? What you don't realize is many of Canada's best don't finish up HS in Canada. They move to the states for better competition much like US hockey kids going North. (That might have been missed in your message board reading.)

We've recruited almost all of the Canadian players that have moved into the states, and early too. They all end up at SEC selector schools. Nothing is going to change that. We also have no input in where kids go to high school, so your second idea is even more ridiculous.

Unless we start consistently winning 8+ games per year we're not going to be able to recruit at a higher level. It's just being realistic about our level.

We've recruited almost all of the Canadian players that have moved into the states, and early too. They all end up at SEC selector schools. Nothing is going to change that. We also have no input in where kids go to high school, so your second idea is even more ridiculous.

Unless we start consistently winning 8+ games per year we're not going to be able to recruit at a higher level. It's just being realistic about our level.
Not all...Damien Alford

You obviously know nothing about Milford Academy. Search this message board you've been reading forever. It has been said to be (not by me) to be one of the most protected recruit Prep schools. Meaning if Pitt sends a kid there...He holds his Pitt commitment.
The Canadian kids going to Florida is where we loose them . Milford is in Upstate NY ... again...in our backyard. That's takes time to work that school relationship...That is work.

Name an underclassman we've offered early from Canada. Those would be pedigree kids that don't need an SU camp to be identified as a worthy talent.

My problem with so many camp offers is I'd like a few more "pedigree" type players signed. I know everyone does. But that's how I think we get better.
Most of the underclassmen we offer early from Canada ARE camp offers. We've probably offered the top 10 kids in Canada every year. We missed out on a ton that we were on as underclassmen last year like Akheem Mesidor. Put in a ton of work and got gazumped at the 11th hour by SEC schools and WVU, where he ended up.

If you're going to argue about something like this do your research.

Unless we start consistently winning 8+ games per year we're not going to be able two recruit at a higher level. It's just being realistic about our level.
We have no input on where a kid goes to HS????? What?? BB Oak Hill and Brewster to good examples. That's a poor response.

I agree with the winning. But we need better players to get there.

FACT not 100%. My daughter's boyfriend went there as an honor student fishing for better offers.
Well he is one of a few. The Canadian kids can basically prep by staying in Canada. If they want to attend a high school in the states they are going to go somewhere better than Milford.

We have no input on where a kid goes to HS????? What?? BB Oak Hill and Brewster to good examples. That's a poor response.

I agree with the winning. But we need better players to get there.
Lol there's a big difference between Syracuse basketball and Syracuse football. And I don't think we "sent" Dior to Oak Hill.

Most of the underclassmen we offer early from Canada ARE camp offers. We've probably offered the top 10 kids in Canada every year. We missed out on a ton that we were on as underclassmen last year like Akheem Mesidor. Put in a ton of work and got gazumped at the 11th hour by SEC schools and WVU, where he ended up.

If you're going to argue about something like this do your research.
offer early AND funnel to our preferred prep school(s).
Someone said I had no suggestions.

I'm open to hearing anybody's ideas. Let's hear them

Why would a kid that hasn't committed to us listen to where we want them to go to school? Your suggestions aren't rooted in reality.
Ok...Keep doing the same thing over and over that isn't working and expect a different outcome.. I think that's rooted in mental illness...lol

You make the scholarship and PREP school offer at the same time. . We have a great relationship with Prep school X. They have a strength and conditioning program that is top notch and will get you ready for D1 football. That's the sales pitch. You know how kids are knocking on our doors now to come here right???

Any idea how many sales are missed because the prospective customer was never properly approached. This is sales and takes work and maybe a different or unique approach.

Let's not try anything new. We should keep the same formula that's been working with our recruiting. Oh, and wait, let's continue to blame the recruiting services for under valuing our players. You know how those recruiting services that don't like us also "fix" the games on Saturday so we loose.

Why would a kid that hasn't committed to us listen to where we want them to go to school? Your suggestions aren't rooted in reality.
Why would a hockey kid leave home and go to HS in Canada to play Jr. Hockey?? News flash... the Juniors want them and find a way and host family for them. Slightly different scenario but where there's talent you want...you find a way if winning is important. (ok, within NCAA rules).

INCREDIBLY HAPPY with Richards and Cantin Arku.
I am as well.
This is how these argument threads morph. My interest in Canadian recruiting started when someone stated we had no recruits in our region. I said to canvas Rochester and Canada more heavily/closely. I did not disparage last year's two that you mentioned. I was merely attempting to open a poster's eyes to the size of our "backyard" if we looked past the traditional fences or zip codes.

The poster continued with a request for new ideas for recruiting. I put one out there. Let's hear yours or anybody else's.
I'll wait during the radio silence.

Ok...Keep doing the same thing over and over that isn't working and expect a different outcome.. I think that's rooted in mental illness...lol

You make the scholarship and PREP school offer at the same time. . We have a great relationship with Prep school X. They have a strength and conditioning program that is top notch and will get you ready for D1 football. That's the sales pitch. You know how kids are knocking on our doors now to come here right???

Any idea how many sales are missed because the prospective customer was never properly approached. This is sales and takes work and maybe a different or unique approach.

Let's not try anything new. We should keep the same formula that's been working with our recruiting. Oh, and wait, let's continue to blame the recruiting services for under valuing our players. You know how those recruiting services that don't like us also "fix" the games on Saturday so we loose.
Once again, there is not a kid around that would listen to that suggestion. Why go to Milford Prep and play against no competition when he could go down to IMG Academy in FL, and get scholarship offers from around the country playing against some of the best?

Even if he did go to Milford to prep, what happens when they get OSU, Clemson, Alabama offers? You think they have any obligation to be loyal to SU?

Our formula has been working fine. We've landed great prospects from Canada without your wildly unrealistic suggestion. But unless we're winning 8+ a year we're not landing multiple 4 star kids every season.

I am as well.
This is how these argument threads morph. My interest in Canadian recruiting started when someone stated we had no recruits in our region. I said to canvas Rochester and Canada more heavily/closely. I did not disparage last year's two that you mentioned. I was merely attempting to open a poster's eyes to the size of our "backyard" if we looked past the traditional fences or zip codes.

The poster continued with a request for new ideas for recruiting. I put one out there. Let's hear yours or anybody else's.
I admire your ignorant self-assurance.

I'm not the only who stated that there isn't much talent in Upstate and that we recruit Canada heavily already. Babers has said many times that they'll take kids from Upstate NY if they're good enough - and not many are.

I spent a good 10 minutes picking apart your completely impractical recruiting ideas before I deleted it.

I have no problem being told I'm wrong. What I have a problem with is that you have no idea what you are talking about and and yet you think you're coming here with something new or brilliant and will not listen to the many who are telling you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am as well.

I don’t consider Canada our backyard, it’s not the same as basketball. Basketball we’re essentially PSU in football. The Northeast had been and should be our playground.

Our football backyard is Cuse down to NYC and over to Rochester. We need to focus bringing back WNY and the tier from Pitt before we worry about elsewhere imo.

n
Once again, there is not a kid around that would listen to that suggestion. Why go to Milford Prep and play against no competition when he could go down to IMG Academy in FL, and get scholarship offers from around the country playing against some of the best?

Even if he did go to Milford to prep, what happens when they get OSU, Clemson, Alabama offers? You think they have any obligation to be loyal to SU?

Our formula has been working fine. We've landed great prospects from Canada without your wildly unrealistic suggestion. But unless we're winning 8+ a year we're not landing multiple 4 star kids every season.
1) IMG does not have endless roster spots
2) IMG isn't cheap. They do not offer scholarships. Financial aid might be limited for a middle class family.
3) The backyard argument pops up again. If a kid is at Milford, would our staff have greater amount of opportunities to visit him for games and practices??? Maybe more opportunities that Alabama??
4) Formula working on the field????????

n

1) IMG does not have endless roster spots
2) IMG isn't cheap. They do not offer scholarships. Financial aid might be limited for a middle class family.
3) The backyard argument pops up again. If a kid is at Milford, would our staff have greater amount of opportunities to visit him for games and practices??? Maybe more opportunities that Alabama??
4) Formula working on the field????????
Ok, I'm done for the night. I can't argue with someone who can't see the forest for the trees. Enjoy the video game fantasyland you live in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom