It’s Portal time! | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Regardless, switch it to 20, we had a LOT more experience than we do this year coming back.

If Quincy comes back then we have as much experience coming back next year as that 2010 team.
Joe, Buddy, Quincy, Bourama/Jesse compared to Andy, AO, Rick, and Scoop. The wildcards in 2010 were Triche, Kris and Wes just like the wildcards next year will be Benny, Cole, and either Symir or JimmyJr(?).

Which hopefully could be similar to Bourama basically sitting out this season. Really hoping for his sake it works out for him. He deserves it.

If Quincy comes back then we have as much experience coming back next year as that 2010 team.
Joe, Buddy, Quincy, Bourama/Jesse compared to Andy, AO, Rick, and Scoop. The wildcards in 2010 were Triche, Kris and Wes just like the wildcards next year will be Benny, Cole, and either Symir or JimmyJr(?).
Two massive ifs.

Yeah I mean the truth is the truth.

I don't think Kadary was ever all in. For whatever reason be it because of JB, his teammates, other coaches, family whatever. Similar to that, while I know he is tight with Buddy and also Symir, I don't think Joe was or is either. Both are kids heavily invested in themselves first.

We have had plenty of kids come through who shared that mindset but I think it's tough when both your PGs feel that way. And I don't care about it being your favorite school growing up it's about who you are as a player and what motivates you. Dion was like that too and was huge for us. So in no way do I knock them for not being all in and having some selfish tendencies.

I think however we sit here now in a tough position at PG because sometimes you get talented guys but things don't workout as planned or mesh. Then those guys are built into the fabric of the team and it's hard to simply replace them with someone better and things are all hunky dory.

Outside maybe a select few, we are all at a disadvantage to the aura around the team off the dome floor. It makes it frustrating and perplexing.

My personal opinion is it's better to go all in on the 22 class and hope Symir and Joe make big jumps as players. With it unlikely there is a player who is a fit, a better talent and doesn't monopolize future recruits in the portal it's about going with what we have.

Ennis going pro, Joseph not panning out, Carey not panning out, Howard being a roller coaster- all got us where we are today or played a role. I think if we are going to break the cycle after having lost Kadary in a pandemic year to add on our best shot is the 22 class.

That's probably true. I understand your perspective.

RickJack averaged 22 / game.

AO & Rautins were the only 2 guys over 25+ a game who returned.

KrisJo averaged < 14 / game

There was nobody else.
Except for Mookie Jones - in his mind.

Yeah, but returning 4 guys with 15-25 minutes a game of experience is a tremendous platform, especially when you have 2 bigs, a forward and a guard. That's the kind of balance in the roster and quality returning that makes for continuity, and occasionally great teams,

Yeah, but returning 4 guys with 15-25 minutes a game of experience is a tremendous platform, especially when you have 2 bigs, a forward and a guard. That's the kind of balance in the roster and quality returning that makes for continuity, and occasionally great teams,

Similarly I think having a returning backcourt, forward and center with a lot of game experience is huge too. Hopefully that forward decides to come back to make that happen.

Similarly I think having a returning backcourt, forward and center with a lot of game experience is huge too. Hopefully that forward decides to come back to make that happen.

I agree, if Quincy comes back and he and Sidibe can be healthy next year, we could be a very good team. I still think we need one more guard, but Q + Sidibe + Good Health is a recipe to break the "13 losses or more" streak.

If Torrence can be actually good, and not just a guy who score 4 points and provides an assist a game, then we might be top 4 in the ACC, But that's a lot of "ifs" right now.

Isn’t that what the original post said? We had similar departures and similar remaining players and it worked out?
When? Buddy and Rautins are a push, Scoop is way better than Girard and now you have to make up for RJ and AO. Then account for a crazy year from Wes, steady freshman year from Triche and one of the best 6th man years in our history. Not even in the same stratosphere as similar.

When? Buddy and Rautins are a push, Scoop is way better than Girard and now you have to make up for RJ and AO. Then account for a crazy year from Wes, steady freshman year from Triche and one of the best 6th man years in our history. Not even in the same stratosphere as similar.

Thing is we didn’t know all that back in the summer and fall of 2009. As a matter of fact, if you go back and read posts after our loss to Le Moyne that season I’m sure you would have seen some “sky is falling” catastrophic posts.

Buddy is better than Rautins. Scoop is *way* better? I like what Jesse (and Sid and maybe Frank) bring defensively. Can Benny be Wes? Dunno. He’s good through. What about Swider? Torrence has been compared to Triche already.

This team will be a better shooting team and maybe better defensively at C.

We added Symir and Swider (Jimmy coming soon) while losing Griffin, Q, Kadary, Marek, Kadary, and Woody (every one of them had the ability stay) and we’re at a win? Our team leaving would crush our current roster.
Portal vs portal Not guys leaving for the pros. Apples vs apples.

Buddy is better than Rautins. Scoop is *way* better? I like what Jesse (and Sid and maybe Frank) bring defensively. Can Benny be Wes? Dunno. He’s good through. What about Swider? Torrence has been compared to Triche already.

This team will be a better shooting team and maybe better defensively at C.
No. Just no. Can we stop leaving out the part where Wes dominated practice during his redshirt season learning the zone making him far more ready to play than Cole and Benny will be next year? At least defensively.

And Buddy is a better shooter, but Andy did everything else better

Thing is we didn’t know all that back in the summer and fall of 2009. As a matter of fact, if you go back and read posts after our loss to Le Moyne that season I’m sure you would have seen some “sky is falling” catastrophic posts.

Boeheim (and the whole team ...) knew how good Wes was. He already told Paul that he wouldn't be starting his senior year. Everybody on the team used to call Wes "Kobe Bryant" in practices the year he sat out for us.

Devo was eased out, too, because of his shaky status with the school; not academically, but he was on a double secret probation after a couple incidents with other students on campus, and was on a "one more time and you're out" status. Boeheim couldn't really afford to build the team around him because of the risk that he might not remain in school for the whole year.

While a lot of us thought we really could have used Jonny at PG on that 2010 team, it still turned out to be a team with great chemistry and complimentary skills, and a lot of guys matured at the same time. What a team that was!

No. Just no. Can we stop leaving out the part where Wes dominated practice during his redshirt season learning the zone making him far more ready to play than Cole and Benny will be next year? At least defensively.

And Buddy is a better shooter, but Andy did everything else better
Wasn’t making the case they’d be better, just agreeing with the post that said there was some similar potential combined with fans being a bit meh

Ok 20 plus. Still a lot of experience coming back.
I do remember there was a lot of doomsday talk during that off-season. The general consensus around this board was somewhat positive on the loss of Harris, conflicted about the loss of Devo, and devastated by the loss of Flynn. The season-over-season improvement of the guys on that team who came back was impressive. Plus the addition of Wes Johnson, of course.

Boeheim (and the whole team ...) knew how good Wes was. He already told Paul that he wouldn't be starting his senior year. Everybody on the team used to call Wes "Kobe Bryant" in practices the year he sat out for us.

Devo was eased out, too, because of his shaky status with the school; not academically, but he was on a double secret probation after a couple incidents with other students on campus, and was on a "one more time and you're out" status. Boeheim couldn't really afford to build the team around him because of the risk that he might not remain in school for the whole year.

While a lot of us thought we really could have used Jonny at PG on that 2010 team, it still turned out to be a team with great chemistry and complimentary skills, and a lot of guys matured at the same time. What a team that was!

All true, but go back and see what people thought when we lost to Le Moyne. I know Boeheim used that game to get his point across about playing zone over M2M and it definitely worked.
2010 is still my favorite SU team of all time too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom