It feels great to be excited about December "cupcake" games | Syracusefan.com

It feels great to be excited about December "cupcake" games

Eric15

Living Legend
Last year after we were humiliated by St. Johns at home, we were 8-5, and our next game was against Cornell. Watching that Cornell game actually felt like work to me. I wasn't doing it because I was looking forward to it at all, I was watching out of a sense of fan obligation. It was like a two-hour work meeting I had to sit through.

This year after this Georgetown win, I am genuinely excited for Buffalo tonight. It's all I'm thinking about today.

(I put cupcake in quotations because I'm well aware we're only a 10 point favorite and this will be a competitive game.)

Agreed. Its fun again. Last year was work. Tedious, unpleasant work.

Last year after we were humiliated by St. Johns at home, we were 8-5, and our next game was against Cornell. Watching that Cornell game actually felt like work to me. I wasn't doing it because I was looking forward to it at all, I was watching out of a sense of fan obligation. It was like a two-hour work meeting I had to sit through.

This year after this Georgetown win, I am genuinely excited for Buffalo tonight. It's all I'm thinking about today.

(I put cupcake in quotations because I'm well aware we're only a 10 point favorite and this will be a competitive game.)

Last year's team performed about as poorly in the OOC portion of the schedule as possible. It was brutal.

It is nice to win the games we should be winning. I will admit going into the season I had us losing to Maryland and Georgetown but beating Yukon. I think it was just the hangover from last year. Hopefully my iggy is way off and we can keep this up.

I can’t figure out why you guys do this to yourselves.

The only known quantity we had coming into this season was Battle, who we knew was a good player.

Based on last year’s performance it was hard to be too realistically optimistic about Howard.

Pascal K is essentially a first year player and MAkek, Brissett, Sidebe and Washington were first year players.

Is there any wonder this team was so lowly ranked? It was almost a complete mystery.

Other than Battle, we didn’t know how good these players were or, maybe most importantly, how they would play as a unit (chemistry). And we had no idea on how much "grit" this team had.

So guessing about how this team would do against Maryland, Georgetown or whoever is really an exercise in almost impossible projection.

But after nine games, we have a better idea. but we haven't a clue on how they will do once the real (ACC) schedule starts.

We are still a flawed team with weak outside shooting and two post players that have difficulty handling the ball and finishing. These two things are going to hurt us the rest of the way. We just don't know in what games and how much they'll hurt.

The only known quantity we had coming into this season was Battle, who we knew was a good player.

Based on last year’s performance it was hard to be too realistically optimistic about Howard.

Pascal K is essentially a first year player and MAkek, Brissett, Sidebe and Washington were first year players.

Is there any wonder this team was so lowly ranked? It was almost a complete mystery.

Other than Battle, we didn’t know how good these players were or, maybe most importantly, how they would play as a unit (chemistry). And we had no idea on how much "grit" this team had.

So guessing about how this team would do against Maryland, Georgetown or whoever is really an exercise in almost impossible projection.

But after nine games, we have a better idea. but we haven't a clue on how they will do once the real (ACC) schedule starts.

We are still a flawed team with weak outside shooting and two post players that have difficulty handling the ball and finishing. These two things are going to hurt us the rest of the way. We just don't know in what games and how much they'll hurt.

Wait, does this mean I'm not allowed to be excited about tonight's game?

At the beginning of the season, and even after the first exhibition game, I was wondering if this team was capable of a winning record. Looking at other ACC teams, it was hard to see us finishing higher than about 12th.

Now, even with our flaws that you point out, I feel like this team is a middle of the pack ACC team. We will need to steal a couple wins on the road to make the tournament. Thank goodness they manufactured that comeback against the Hoyas. Hopefully that is something they can build on in the ACC portion of the schedule.

And also thank goodness that we have the weakest ACC conference schedule that we have been handed to date. Good year for it.

A dose of nihilism for the day...

Wait, does this mean I'm not allowed to be excited about tonight's game?
As far as I'm concerned you can be excited about anything you want.

I just prefer to avoid the mood swings associated with being over-optimistic one day and deeply depressed and angry the next.

But I would think it's OK to start being a little more optimistic. UB ought to be an opportunity to work on things.

St Bona will be different. But the rubber really meets the road vs VT. That's when the ante is raised significantly.

This team could win anywhere from 6-13 ACC games and I wouldn’t be surprised. The conference schedule is incredibly weak and we play a lot of tossup type games at both home and on the road. Also a few teams such as Notre Dame and Louisville are nowhere near as good as projected.

I'm not sure "nihilism" is the term you are looking for. It isn't the opposite of the unbridled optimism we sometimes get on here.

Which I don't mind although it's annoying when some of the posters start overstating what SU ought to be able to do every year.

The problem I have with overconfidence is the frustration, anger, and finger pointing we get after a loss or a couple of loses. I'll take less optimism if we can also have less of that crap from the usual suspects and self-appointed experts.

When you asked why we do this to ourselves, I flashed on the following silly joke.

Q: What is brown, lies at the bottom of the ocean, and shakes?

A: A nervous wreck.

You see, most of us get worked up about our teams and many of us take these games personally. That is what is most fun about being a fan. It is also what is most agonizing about being a fan. It is hard not to care. It is hard to have a cool detachment about outcomes. But if someone can do that, God bless them!

I, too, am looking forward to tonight’s game. If we lose, it will suck, but it’s fun to walk around with a jaunty step before a game.

I am reminded of a wise therapist canard: “Worrying is praying for bad things to happen.”

GO SU!

I'm not sure "nihilism" is the term you are looking for. It isn't the opposite of the unbridled optimism we sometimes get on here.

Which I don't mind although it's annoying when some of the posters start overstating what SU ought to be able to do every year.

The problem I have with overconfidence is the frustration, anger, and finger pointing we get after a loss or a couple of loses. I'll take less optimism if we can also have less of that crap from the usual suspects and self-appointed experts.

Pot meet kettle.

When you asked why we do this to ourselves, I flashed on the following silly joke.

Q: What is brown, lies at the bottom of the ocean, and shakes?

A: A nervous wreck.

You see, most of us get worked up about our teams and many of us take these games personally. That is what is most fun about being a fan. It is also what is most agonizing about being a fan. It is hard not to care. It is hard to have a cool detachment about outcomes. But if someone can do that, God bless them!

I, too, am looking forward to tonight’s game. If we lose, it will suck, but it’s fun to walk around with a jaunty step before a game.

I am reminded of a wise therapist canard: “Worrying is praying for bad things to happen.”

GO SU!

I've got the antidote ... if you are interested.

Become a baseball fan too or more of a baseball fan, if you are one already.

In baseball a good team is going to lose 65 or 70 times in a season.

You aren't going to win every game and you know that.

SU isn't going undefeated the rest of the way. Even the optimistic on here are predicting 9-9 in the ACC and getting into the Tourney as an 11 seed.

I've been the way you say you are.

I used to come home from work and barely chew my dinner. I was a tyrant with the boys, insisting that they be in bed with the lights off at 8:00pm. My wife would scurry off somewhere to read a book.

I could drink whiskey while watching the Big Monday Big East game without getting even high because my metabolism was at such a high rate that I burned the alcohol off. (That's my guess. I know I drank whiskey and never felt it)

If SU lost, I was devastated. If they won, I was relieved. Not overjoyed. Not ecstatic. I was relieved.

Now tell me, was I having a good time?

frigin-nihilists.jpg

Become a baseball fan too or more of a baseball fan, if you are one already.

In baseball a good team is going to lose 65 or 70 times in a season.

That's why I find baseball boring as sin. You spend three hours of your life to watch a sporting event that has such a minuscule effect on your team's overall season.

I did it because there is a thing every year called the Iggy awards and they ask you to make projections. Then at the end of the year people are given awards based on being correct.

That's why I find baseball boring as sin. You spend three hours of your life to watch a sporting event that has such a minuscule effect on your team's overall season.

You watch it because you enjoy the game including the performance of the players which is some times extraordinary, the strategies, and the intricacies of the game.

And since when is sin "boring"?

This team could win anywhere from 6-13 ACC games and I wouldn’t be surprised. The conference schedule is incredibly weak and we play a lot of tossup type games at both home and on the road. Also a few teams such as Notre Dame and Louisville are nowhere near as good as projected.

Yeah I’m with you here. We will still play a bunch of teams who will have the athletes, skill, and coaching to give us big problems if we continue to have trouble scoring. Granted the overall level of teams nationwide is down but it’s the Offensive Efficiency in the halfcourt that really concerns me. It’s bad considering how well we rebound, turn teams over, and aren’t giving up many second shots/extra possessions. Must improve considering the tempo is so slow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom