It is Official; TCU is Joining the Big 12 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It is Official; TCU is Joining the Big 12

I don't blame TCU one bit.

Neither do I. I think it's exactly what TCU should do. The smart move. Good for them.

Caption contest:

tcucabbagepatch.gif
I'm too sexy for the Big East...too sexy for the Big East...

The thing is that the BE will have a hard time adding anyone until the Big12 is done with what they are doing, the SEC seems set @ 14 and the B1G seems happy to stay @ 12. It worked out for TCU but some of these other schools have to wonder why they would join and go through the process only to see the BE disolve.

Expect Louisville and WVU to announce also within a week as part of the Big 12 expansion. The Big East will have to change its name to C-USA as that will be what it essentially becomes.

The thing is that the BE will have a hard time adding anyone until the Big12 is done with what they are doing, the SEC seems set @ 14 and the B1G seems happy to stay @ 12. It worked out for TCU but some of these other schools have to wonder why they would join and go through the process only to see the BE disolve.

SEC has 13 teams right now, not 14.

SEC has 13 teams right now, not 14.

I know that and thats the point, @ 13 they are a threat to poach a BE or ACC team and change things all over again.

Didn't the ACC up it's buyout to $20 million? Gonna be a lot harder to pry teams out of there.

The ACC I think went from 13 to 20m. In the grand scheme its not a huge jump. The proposal was to go to 35m but 2 test voted against that. FSU and Maryland

Sent from my DROIDX

The ACC I think went from 13 to 20m. In the grand scheme its not a huge jump. The proposal was to go to 35m but 2 test voted against that. FSU and Maryland

Sent from my DROIDX

It was actually 125% of the current year's payout according to Swofford, meaning this will go up after the next contract.

Not quibbling, but I think $20M was just an estimate. The actual figure was 125% of the previous year's payout, I believe. The upshot is that the buyout increases every year.

That being said, very interesting that the 2 teams everyone is talking about possibly moving were the ones to shoot the proposal down.

...the Horned Frogs will have to pay a $5 million exit fee...

Wow, that's pretty weak that the BE would hold them to that. I'd fight it tooth and nail: "Hey John, a league depleted of Pitt & Syracuse ain't exactly what we signed up for ya know...?"

The Big 12 still must determine if it wants 10 or 12 members.

Hmmm, as far as I know there already is a conference called 'The Big 10' and since your conference's name is 'The Big 12', I'd think this one could answer itself.

As far as the effect this decision has on Syracuse & Pitt having to serve out their 27 month prison term, I'd say it works in our favor. TCU is gone thereby further weakening the BE. Other dominoes are going to start falling as a result. This conference is dead in the water. No school of any consequence is going to want to join up now. Mark it down - not only will SU & Pitt be gone way before the 27 months is up, but the BE as a BCS football playing conference will be gone long before then as well.

Full statement from Big 12 on TV deal:

The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors agreed to a formal grant of television rights for a minimum of six years during a teleconference today. The approval by the Board was unanimous; however theUniversity of Missouri did not participate in the vote on the advice of legal counsel.

Interim commissioner Chuck Neinas was authorized by the Board to immediately distribute legal documents for institutional execution. An earlier vote related to equal revenue distribution becomes effective upon the formal assignment of rights by all institutions. The Board did not set a deadline but indicated a desire to expedite the approval process.

The grant of rights was included in a joint resolution proposed by both the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas. In addition to the grant of television rights for at least a six-year period, the proposal included agreements related to high school content and access to football games for institutional third-tier telecast packages.

Specifics of the resolution included an agreement that during the term of the grant of rights: there will be no changes related to current or future primary television rights agreements or Conference bylaws, rules or policies related to member institution branded outlet rights; Conference bylaws will reflect that no member institution branded outlet will show high school games or highlights, noting that it is permissible pursuant to NCAA interpretation to use scores, standings and statistics of high school games; and, that additional games beyond the one member institution retained football game for telecast purposes must be approved by both institutions and both Conference telecast partners.
Source

I would assume that this vote was done to clearly establish the Big 12 as a more stable league than the Big East, and was probably made a precondition in order for TCU and the other refugee BE schools to agree to leave that conference.

If TCU was officially a member of the Big East don't they still have to wait the 27 months also?

If TCU was officially a member of the Big East don't they still have to wait the 27 months also?

All reports say they have to pay but not stay the stay. I am assuming they had something written into their contract based on conference makeup.

Except Rutgers.

I actually could live with UConn in the ACC. As long as it's not Rutgers. I so can't wait until they are nothing. Again.

The is a report the Missouri "insider" made the statement about Mizzou wanting to got to the Big Ten was in fact a Univ. of Texas reporter who made up the statement and then reported it.

The BE should hope that Mizzou, OU and Ok. State go to the SEC-for 16-then Louisville, West Virginia and Cincy stay and they add some teams like Kansas ans Kansas State. If those three teams leave the Big 12 is in almost as bad a position as the BE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom