It may be Time | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

It may be Time

Coach P recruited well for much of the 90s. What changed?

We had better talent across the board back then...until we didn’t.

Why?

You obviously knew that tipphill's response below was clearly the proximate cause for SU's/P's decline. Yet it appears you are choosing to make an argument/excuses for Dino in your support/defense of his situation, which is really night and day relatively speaking. The gross negligence of a past administration and its massive failures being the main reason for P's standing at that time, etc., is not in the same stratosphere of what Dino currently has available to him to succeed from a university commitment, investment, facilities, resources, etc. standpoint. Dino's failure/lack of overall success to date (other than his one winning) is 100% on Dino. He is the captain of the ship, which encompasses all of his hiring decisions, recruits brought in/failed to land, game day coaching & adjustments, etc.

we did not invest in the program. the arms race was on, and we ignored it . it hurt recruiting and coach p . the program withered on the vine . any money the program made was used elsewhere. typical su. hell the only reason we got a dome was the fire marshal cut the capacity of archbold. su administrators were never committed to the football program, get a life was prevalent long before shaw

You obviously knew that tipphill's response below was clearly the proximate cause for SU's/P's decline. Yet it appears you are choosing to make an argument/excuses for Dino in your support/defense of his situation, which is really night and day relatively speaking. The gross negligence of a past administration and its massive failures being the main reason for P's standing at that time, etc., is not in the same stratosphere of what Dino currently has available to him to succeed from a competitive, facilities, resources, etc. standpoint. Dino's failure/lack of overall success to date (other than his one winning) is 100% on Dino. He is the captain of the ship, which encompasses all of his hiring decisions, recruits brought in/failed to land, game day coaching & adjustments, etc.

You saw that locker room he was giving those famous speeches out of, right?

You saw that locker room he was giving those famous speeches out of, right?

Yes, and it was cringe worthy. But the university moved on it ASAP, vs. the we can't do field turf in the Dome sentiment, etc.

Yeah once we started losing the local/state talent it became tough sledding. Losing Mike Hart from the university's literal back door was a dagger but was just a sign of the coming troubles. I get that some say that a 3* in Florida is better than a 4* in NY (sometimes true) it doesn't mean we should be okay with losing all the NYS top talent.

And its depth guys, 4-5 year guys that can step in when needed who want to be here.

Amen to that!

It's also why I'm so annoyed with the Dome exterior. I feel like a relatively small investment (covering up the rollercoaster) would lead to a HUGE percieved imporvement in facilities, which we desperately need. There are times to go cheap, and that isn't it. The cost-reward ratio is far too favorable.

EDIT: We probably also need to come up with some kind of wrap to go around the outside, as the walls will now clash with basicallyanything that we put on top due to a 40(!) year difference in age.
Yes my Wife and I having been thinking a wrap on the grave stone concrete would be give the dome a great look, and should not be cost prohibitive compared to the other upgrade expenditures.

Disappointing that that Dino has not been able to recruit on the offensive side of the ball in this dome. If Boise St and Cincinnati (Yes, Ohio is much stronger H.S. Football state) can can Field ranked teams, we should be able to build a Bowl eligible team At Syracuse. We have undergone many upgrades , Not Clemson like , but they are very respectable. Crazy that Barbers cannot sell this program with his charisma - somethingIs just not right here and it is not a new development.

Great Coaches recruit to compete in the league they are a part of and coach up the others he is taking a calculated bet on. Can SU sign a great coach; perhaps not, however we should be able to attract one who will coach us to a winning record most years! I like Dino and I also like Cuse winning football. There must be a way to get us there!

If there are issues behind closed doors he should be let go now. This year's record will be because of covid and injuries. Had neither happened then we should have expected a much better record. Setting the bar at 4-8 next year is a joke. Especially given how week our schedule is. Depending on how things play out I could see justifying keeping him at 5-7. But 4-8 is a complete failure for three straight seasons.

you guys are nuts. Take the tinfoil hats off and just let it go with the stuff behind closed doors. It’s a program full of losing right now, of course there are a bunch of malcontents. get rid of all the roaches ASAP and bring in the ants. All the speculation and conspiracy theory in the world isnt going to change the fact that Dino will be back next year and most likely the year after.

No coach in our history has recruited well enough to overcome 25 injuries, that's where we are this year.

Clemson recruits better than all but maybe 3 teams in the country and they lost one guy, yes the starting QB, and almost lost to BC.

We Lost our starting QB AND another 23-24 players.

Let that sink in, this discussion and thread are ridiculous.

If Dino is let go under those circumstances, then Wildhack needs to be fired too for being shortsighted and stupid.
Really excellent post. 2020 has sucked in general. But like the nation itself, I think HCDB and the SU program will emerge from it much stronger.

If we can't afford a buy out that is another story than saying 4-8 and he should stay. If we can't afford a buyout he can go 0-12 and survive.

How is wanting Covid protocols turmoil?

The point is that the roof caved in this year. We are freaking terrible.

A return to competency is in order. Like an offensive line that can block, even just a bit; competent QB play; competent play calling, and just a bit more from our defensive line.

Even if we do ALL of those things, and get them ALL fixed next year, do you see a bowl team on paper? I don't. We lost some really good talent on offense to early departure, and the replacements seem to be a year or two away.

If we have a full preseason for the new OC and DC to properly prepare, for our OL coach (whoever that may be) to try to fix things - if all of that stuff goes right - do you see this group of players making a bowl game, after what has happened the last 2 seasons? Honestly?

I think we have to get back to "competent" before we think about bowls, because we have fallen BELOW 'competent' and that's the first thing that needs to be fixed. There needs to be enough depth that if a player isn't getting it done, he gets to sit down and watch another guy do his job.

Since the buy out just isn't happening unless he does something truly awful like have another 1 win season next year, then he is going to coach in 2022 for us. And if he is coaching in 2022, after having a year to recover from this absolutely 100% complete collapse of the program (again), by then, expecting a return to a bowl game is 100% reasonable, and we only have 1 year left on a buy out.

Reasonable expectations for a team that, this year at least, has fallen to literally the Bottom 10 in America.

First, win 4 and be competitive and show you know how to play football.

Next, make a goddamn bowl.

There is no excuse that you cannot do those 2 things these next 2 seasons if you are our coach.

Yes my Wife and I having been thinking a wrap on the grave stone concrete would be give the dome a great look, and should not be cost prohibitive compared to the other upgrade expenditures.

Nice thought!

w.t. f. are you talking about?

more of your conspiracy nonsense making stuff up

You know the players went on strike at least twice and maybe three times in preseason over the lack of COVID testing, right?

You also know that a bunch of players opted out, and not all of them did it preseason, like Cisco, for example.

Do you think that points to things being well behind the scenes? The body language of the players during games is not very good.

You know the players went on strike at least twice and maybe three times in preseason over the lack of COVID testing, right?

You also know that a bunch of players opted out, and not all of them did it preseason, like Cisco, for example.

Do you think that points to things being well behind the scenes? The body language of the players during games is not very good.
Agreed. Shades of Jalen Carey tbh

Cisco was already injured when he opted out.

Cisco was already injured when he opted out.

Yes, that was the point. He chose not to come back.
Just like Adams and Pierre (?) decided to opt out and then go to the NFL.
Trishton Jackson would have certainly benefitted from another year before turning pro.
Too many guys are leaving the football team who have very, very little chance of playing in the NFL, whereas at least basketball guys have all these overseas leagues where they can still make a living. Most guys who quit football early sell life insurance for a living afterwards.

Yes, that was the point. He chose not to come back.
Just like Adams and Pierre (?) decided to opt out and then go to the NFL.
Trishton Jackson would have certainly benefitted from another year before turning pro.
Too many guys are leaving the football team who have very, very little chance of playing in the NFL, whereas at least basketball guys have all these overseas leagues where they can still make a living. Most guys who quit football early sell life insurance for a living afterwards.

Im confused at your point though. Cisco is projected to go in like round 3 or so last I knew? Once he got injured and was out for the year anyway, he decided to put his energy into rehabbing and getting ready for the NFL. I’m trying to figure out how that situation goes with the point you’re making?

Pierre didn’t opt out, that was Howard...and people here have insinuated that was a personal issue unrelated to SU or football.

A bunch of players, being Adams, and Howard?

And Cisco would still be playing if he had an intact ACL.

You got anyone else?

They don't publicly announce it.
We're down about 1/3 of our total roster, right?
Are you telling me that no one else opted out?

Triston jackson is in the NFL on the active roster even if he doesn’t dress... has been all year too. I’d say he made it tbh

Triston jackson is in the NFL on the active roster even if he doesn’t dress... has been all year too. I’d say he made it tbh

Yup. And in normal times I could maybe see the argument that he could’ve come back and improved his stock. But with the mess/uncertainty that was this past CFB offseason? Why would you?

They don't publicly announce it.
We're down about 1/3 of our total roster, right?
Are you telling me that no one else opted out?
If you get an owwie, you take the year off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom