It may not be our worst loss in years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It may not be our worst loss in years

Then why has the team stunk for the last few years? Why not turn it around?
Because JB obviously doesn’t do the portal, I’m not excusing his actions, just not worth acting like the program will never have a chance to succeed again.

It doesn’t matter who or when, if the new coach wants a good team the year after JB leaves, they can get the alum together and buy one. As Illinois just showed you, transfer talent will always trump freshman talent

Illinois had one transfer (Shannon) who was a major contributor tonight. Everyone else (including the kid with the triple double) enrolled as a freshman. They had 4 four star freshman in their 2022 recruiting class. Transfer portal is fine for filling in holes. You aren’t building a worthwhile team cobbling together a team full of upperclassmen castaways.

The portal essentially guarantees you can turn a program around in a year. People gotta chill, this isn’t the 80s anymore where you have a build a program, now you buy it.
With. What ? Boeheim Bucks?

But I’ve never been more sure that its over for JB. This is a young team but they don’t only look lost, they look like they have zero guidance/coaching.

Fran spent the last 10 mins slamming the state of our program.

Its just bad. Can’t support this staff even slightly anymore. Its a disservice to the student athletes.
I think the worse regular season loss was when we had a good team and lowly DePaul crushed us. That was bad and the other really rough one was when UVA held is to around 30 points, ughhh
But this is a bad loss.

The Boeheim kids weren't even that good as local high schoolers.

Buddy did well for himself. Adding Jimmy was just stupid and unnecessary especially when we picked up Cole who was similar but better. Why would any other players want to be a part of that?

Because JB obviously doesn’t do the portal, I’m not excusing his actions, just not worth acting like the program will never have a chance to succeed again.

He doesn't do quantity in the portal but give me a ing break he never misses in the portal. How he didn't go that route after his kids left don't ask me I assume he just doesn't have the drive anymore.

Eli, Wes, Swider... if its a guy we want and not just a late add to an open roster spot like Thorpe we get good players.

JB has largely only brought in guys he’s familiar with via the portal. He’s not really trying to land major talent. It’s a problem.
Agreed. I think my post was poorly worded. Essentially, if he hasn't given the recruiting/practice effort before, then why would he start now?

It is still a very attractive job.

Facilities, fan support, resources all Top 10-20 nationally. Quality academic school (not that it matters). You guys don’t give the job enough credit.

Football is another story.
I think that we will need to agree to disagree. I don't think that it has been viewed as a "top" school for BB recruits in over a decade.

10 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. The program is irrelevant now.

JB is a symptom of the problem. There are those in power that allow nothing to change and losing to continue. This inaction is the real problem. And no, I am not placing most of the blame on JW. JW answers to bigger fish.

JB has largely only brought in guys he’s familiar with via the portal. He’s not really trying to land major talent. It’s a problem.
This is the issue. Fran even said we’d have NO problems landing major impact transfers if we wanted.

Instead, since Eli Hughes (the only reason we got him is because JB trusted coach K), we have only used the portal to grab guys JB recruited in the past, which severely limits our options.

Illinois lost 86% of their scoring and brought in 3 very good transfers from the B12. We lost most of our scoring and have 7 freshman and our only portal was a backup center from Duquesne.

JB easily could have portaled this off-season and got a very good player. We had to replace Jimmy, Buddy and Cole - that is A LOT of shots up for grabs. Hell even NC State got a few good ones.

I’m almost glad JB is so apathetic, he is leaving no doubt that his time is up. If he had made a splash in the portal this year and we were somehow playing well, that wpild only extend his shelf life here

I’m almost glad JB is so apathetic, he is leaving no doubt that his time is up. If he had made a splash in the portal this year and we were somehow playing well, that wpild only extend his shelf life here
I get the feeling that JB loves being a HC and coaching in games, but dislikes everything else (recruiting, practice, game prep, etc...) that comes with being a head coach.

I get the feeling that JB loves being a HC and coaching in games, but dislikes everything else (recruiting, practice, game prep, etc...) that comes with being a head coach.
Jim has been mailing it in for years

Jim is the captain of the Titanic and not only is he steering the ship quickly towards an iceburg he also sent his distress call way too late. Ahhh...it was glorious at one time that powerful ship that supposedly couldn't be sunk.

Jim is the captain of the Titanic and not only is he steering the ship quickly towards an iceburg he also sent his distress call way too late. Ahhh...it was glorious at one time that powerful ship that supposedly couldn't be sunk.
It’s more the Edmund Fitzgerald

It’s gonna take a long long time to dig out of this crater the program has been taken to. Not even sure it’s an attractive job to potential coaches these days given how far down we are now. Headed for our second straight sub-.500 season and next season likely won’t be much different regardless of who is at the helm.

Not the first time it’s happened and it won’t be the last, but it’s sad to watch another legendary college coach torpedo what he built.

UConn got Hurley when they were in the AAC and was just as down as we are. We’ll be good if the University decides to invest. But does any one truly think the University cares?

I don’t really believe I need to be catered to, but man they need to give us some inkling that they care. I just don’t think SU cares, that’s what hurts the most.

So does every other father and male bachelor in America. He’s paid millions to do the hard stuff.

UConn got Hurley when they were in the AAC and was just as down as we are. We’ll be good if the University decides to invest. But does any one truly think the University cares?

I don’t really believe I need to be catered to, but man they need to give us some inkling that they care. I just don’t think SU cares, that’s what hurts the most.
The SU BoT does not appear to be a very diverse group based on their graduation years. Definitely skews 70+ in age. Could it be that many of them are JB loyalists and protecting one of their own?

I want someone better than Hurley. Until this year he’s been mediocre. The record is what it says it is. UConn hasn’t won sht yet. It doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild a power 5 program.

The University cares. I don’t think they will force Jim out though. And everyone here leaves out important facts when it comes to the new head coach. What is their relationship with NIL and our biggest boosters? If it’s someone Adam or some of the other guys don’t support going forward then that’s an automatic no for me. NIL muddies the water here going forward.

Last edited:

That’s been well-documented. Hopkins was his practice HC for 20 years!