It may not be our worst loss in years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It may not be our worst loss in years

Illinois had one transfer (Shannon) who was a major contributor tonight. Everyone else (including the kid with the triple double) enrolled as a freshman. They had 4 four star freshman in their 2022 recruiting class. Transfer portal is fine for filling in holes. You aren’t building a worthwhile team cobbling together a team full of upperclassmen castaways.
If we’d brought in a transfer that averages 20, 6, and 4 like Illinois did….I think we’d be 6-1.

I get the feeling that JB loves being a HC and coaching in games, but dislikes everything else (recruiting, practice, game prep, etc...) that comes with being a head coach.
JB likes being JB. He seems incapable of relinquishing even a little bit of that identity.

UConn got Hurley when they were in the AAC and was just as down as we are. We’ll be good if the University decides to invest. But does any one truly think the University cares?

I don’t really believe I need to be catered to, but man they need to give us some inkling that they care. I just don’t think SU cares, that’s what hurts the most.

I think they are going to start to care when attendance and season ticket sales plummet after two straight losing seasons. And even if they do currently care, I don't trust any of the leadership to actually make the correct decisions. I doubt anyone will force JB out and it still looks to me like the plan is a continuity hire for the next coach, which is absolutely insane to do when you have a program in the trash heap.

I think they are going to start to care when attendance and season ticket sales plummet after two straight losing seasons. And even if they do currently care, I don't trust any of the leadership to actually make the correct decisions. I doubt anyone will force JB out and it still looks to me like the plan is a continuity hire for the next coach, which is absolutely insane to do when you have a program in the trash heap.
The home crowds so far have looked like exhibition crowds. Terrible.

Place looks awful when there’s nobody there.

It doesn’t have to be. Illinois lost 10 guys and is a top 20 team again. Meanwhile JB looks like a moron for slamming the Big 10.

Agreed that in college basketball you can certainly turn it around quickly, for a one or two season run anyway I certainly think its quite possible we can have one top 15/20 season over the next 5 years.

But then there is sustained excellence (2009-2014) and or being consistently solid for long period (Boeheim's first 40 years) Returning to that status may be very difficult.

It all has to start with one team coming together and having a very good season and building on that - unfortunately I'm not sure we have had that level of team since 2014.

Hop may not have been the perfect answer - but at least he represented a plan.

A succession plan, including development of future leaders would be nice.

Not only that, but the program was more or less humming along when that plan was supposed to have been executed. Now we are talking about a continuity hire that will just be a continuation of crap.

Not only that, but the program was more or less humming along when that plan was supposed to have been executed. Now we are talking about a continuity hire that will just be a continuation of crap.

That's huge as well.

In the good days I would hate the December and early January games because the crowds were depressing unless we had a big name come in. I always couldn't wait for the conference season to start once the band and students were fully engaged and the Dome looked amazing on TV.

Will we even hit 20,000 fans in the seats for a game?

Jim is the captain of the Titanic and not only is he steering the ship quickly towards an iceburg he also sent his distress call way too late. Ahhh...it was glorious at one time that powerful ship that supposedly couldn't be sunk.

I think we hit the iceburg years ago, and I'm skeptical a distress call has been sent yet.

deep-sigh-malik-wright.gif

In the good days I would hate the December and early January games because the crowds were depressing unless we had a big name come in. I always couldn't wait for the conference season to start once the band and students were fully engaged and the Dome looked amazing on TV.

The number of “UNC fans” and “Duke fans” there while those teams wipe the floor with us is going to be a new low.

He doesn't do quantity in the portal but give me a ing break he never misses in the portal. How he didn't go that route after his kids left don't ask me I assume he just doesn't have the drive anymore.

Eli, Wes, Swider... if its a guy we want and not just a late add to an open roster spot like Thorpe we get good players.
That’s fair

The number of “UNC fans” and “Duke fans” there while those teams wipe the floor with us is going to be a new low.

I don't think many "UNC fans" will want to go to a game at 9pm on a Tuesday.

We can survive an awful season if Wildhack isn't tone deaf and doesn't make a moronic hire that deflates the fanbase this spring.

Yes, imo.

JB has largely only brought in guys he’s familiar with via the portal. He’s not really trying to land major talent. It’s a problem.
Don't most kids who portal go to a school where they know the coach, an assistant or the school. Heck, didn't Dino portal a Sonin Law

Noticed that for Bryant. Lots of empty, prime seats near the court. We've never seen that before.

It said alot while he was talking about building through the portal JB told him that if he was 50 he would go to the NBA
Fran basically suggested that JB has no idea what to do with the portal. He’s completely out of his element with the new realities of college basketball.

Illinois had one transfer (Shannon) who was a major contributor tonight. Everyone else (including the kid with the triple double) enrolled as a freshman. They had 4 four star freshman in their 2022 recruiting class. Transfer portal is fine for filling in holes. You aren’t building a worthwhile team cobbling together a team full of upperclassmen castaways.
Baylor won a national title doing exactly that.

The Boeheim kids weren't even that good as local high schoolers.

Buddy did well for himself. Adding Jimmy was just stupid and unnecessary especially when we picked up Cole who was similar but better. Why would any other players want to be a part of that?
Adding Jimmy was fine as a bit player . It only became a joke when he was given bulk minutes and center minutes .

I want someone better than Hurley. Until this year he’s been mediocre. The record is what it says it is. UConn hasn’t won sht yet. It doesn’t take 5 years to rebuild a power 5 program.

The University cares. I don’t think they will force Jim out though. And everyone here leaves out important facts when it comes to the new head coach. What is their relationship with NIL and our biggest boosters? If it’s someone Adam or some of the other guys don’t support going forward then that’s an automatic no for me. NIL muddies the water here going forward.
UConn hasn’t been mediocre. They’ve been relevant nearly every year for the past three or four years, easily among the top 25 or 30 teams in the country. Hurley’s a spastic douche but he’s done a really good job rebuilding that program and their recruiting.

UConn hasn’t been mediocre. They’ve been relevant nearly every year for the past three or four years, easily among the top 25 or 30 teams in the country. Hurley’s a spastic douche but he’s done a really good job rebuilding that program and their recruiting.

Maybe the last two years you can say they were a top 25-30 team based on their NCAA seeds - 7 and 5.

Then again, they lost in the first round both times.

Didn’t make the tourney the two years before that.

The SU BoT does not appear to be a very diverse group based on their graduation years. Definitely skews 70+ in age. Could it be that many of them are JB loyalists and protecting one of their own?

I knew Mike Tirico was on the BOT and he’s definitely a JB loyalist (though even HE might realize it’s time). Neil Gold is one of the program’s big boosters and bought JB’s jacket from the Duke jacket toss game. Another JB diehard. I see some others on there too. My favorite nugget from looking at the BOT list, though, is David Zaslav, the new Warner Bros-Discovery CEO who’s been busy single-handedly destroying HBO and the company’s other most valuable assets since he took over the reigns after the awful merger was approved. Zaslav might just be the most hated man in Hollywood right now. He’s busy driving his own sinking ship, so what’s one more?

Last edited:
Maybe the last two years you can say they were a top 25-30 team based on their NCAA seeds - 7 and 5.

Then again, they lost in the first round both times.

Didn’t make the tourney the two years before that.
They were rated 21 and 22 on KenPom the last two seasons. That’s very good. And they’re #6 on KenPom right now. They’re clearly on the upswing back into elite territory. I know you hate Hurley, I do too (he’s trash), but he’s done what he had to do there to resurrect recruiting and get them back on track.