It was bound to happen ... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

It was bound to happen ...

The median minor league salary was $44,680. With a range from a low of $19,910 to a high of $187,200. And that is about a 1/2 year of full time employment that can be supplemented in the off season, if necessary.

Unless you own the restaurant, you’re unlikely to make that flipping burgers. Not to mention you are being paid to do something you presumably truly enjoy, how many can say that?

But why let facts get in the way.
Where do you get your “facts?”

Minor league players saw weekly minimum salary increases at each level this year. Players at Class A saw a bump from $290 to $500; Double-A players jumped from $350 to $600; and Triple-A players had salaries increase from $502 to $700.

"Most Minor Leaguers make less than $15,000 per year and won't receive their next paycheck until April," Marino said. "For the next six months, they will spend hours each day training - as required by contract - while trying to balance second and third jobs to make ends meet. Like housing six players in a two-bedroom apartment, this is a broken model from a bygone era. Minor leaguers will not rest until they receive the livable annual salary they deserve."

Where do you get your “facts?”

Minor league players saw weekly minimum salary increases at each level this year. Players at Class A saw a bump from $290 to $500; Double-A players jumped from $350 to $600; and Triple-A players had salaries increase from $502 to $700.

"Most Minor Leaguers make less than $15,000 per year and won't receive their next paycheck until April," Marino said. "For the next six months, they will spend hours each day training - as required by contract - while trying to balance second and third jobs to make ends meet. Like housing six players in a two-bedroom apartment, this is a broken model from a bygone era. Minor leaguers will not rest until they receive the livable annual salary they deserve."

Hard to find a "perfect" source, but here is one.

One source

Much older source, establishing a reasonable income.

Few Years old

College sports, especially college basketball, has been going downhill for a while. First it was the one and done's, then it was the portal, and now the NIL. As a fan it's sad to know the sport I grew up loving in the 80's and 90's is never coming back. The best part of college sports was watching young kids come in as freshman and develop throughout their careers. After 3 or 4 years it's like they became part of the family. Now it;s just hired assassins with no loyalty. The one thing that made college sports fun, and different from pro sports is gone. College football held out longer thanks to the NFL rules that the athlete had to be out of HS for 3 years, but now that sport is gone as well. Sad times knowing the 2 sports you loved will no longer be the same.

Amen.

I think your first source doesn’t correct for the high salaries that high draft pick type players make that skew the average.

It also states high and low and median further on.

I have a buddy who for years has been going to home games at his D3 alma mater and eschewing SU games for pretty much the reasons stated in this thread. He simply enjoys the game for itself and has for years felt that D1 was already semi-pro and compensated. Now that it's so blatant, I may join him.
For years Tom Murphy had some of the best teams in D3 and probably had a few D1 players including john cavanaugh and Charles Robinson - that basketball was so much fun to watch- can’t blame your buddy

This wont last long. NIL was never supposed to be pay for play. Give it 2 years and it will blow up.
I posted years ago that this is what NIL will turn into. It's not NIL, it's a salary or just money for football players.

The median minor league salary was $44,680. With a range from a low of $19,910 to a high of $187,200. And that is about a 1/2 year of full time employment that can be supplemented in the off season, if necessary.

Unless you own the restaurant, you’re unlikely to make that flipping burgers. Not to mention you are being paid to do something you presumably truly enjoy, how many can say that?

But why let facts get in the way.
Your numbers are probably inflated by signing bonuses to the elite prospects and their salaries. The average Joe, from an SI article: Players at Class A saw a bump from $290 to $500; Double-A players jumped from $350 to $600; and Triple-A players had salaries increase from $502 to $700. Some, many, all now get housing so things are better. I know a young man who made it to triple A- folks had to send him money to survive. You have to train in the off season so you aren’t going to do much better than part time burger flipping. Baseball really treated minor leaguers like crap; better now but still crappy.

College sports, especially college basketball, has been going downhill for a while. First it was the one and done's, then it was the portal, and now the NIL. As a fan it's sad to know the sport I grew up loving in the 80's and 90's is never coming back. The best part of college sports was watching young kids come in as freshman and develop throughout their careers. After 3 or 4 years it's like they became part of the family. Now it;s just hired assassins with no loyalty. The one thing that made college sports fun, and different from pro sports is gone. College football held out longer thanks to the NFL rules that the athlete had to be out of HS for 3 years, but now that sport is gone as well. Sad times knowing the 2 sports you loved will no longer be the same.
100% spot on. Well said.

44cuse

For years Tom Murphy had some of the best teams in D3 and probably had a few D1 players including john cavanaugh and Charles Robinson - that basketball was so much fun to watch- can’t blame your buddy
I still remember when Tom Murphy coached at Belleville Academy. I think he’s still an assistant coach at Northeastern after leaving Hamilton.

Wish I could like this multiple likes.

Last edited: