It was bound to happen ... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

It was bound to happen ...

Return to the day where people went to college to get an education and being good at a particular activity, in this case athletics, could get you a reduced or free education. If you don’t value the education why should you be required to pursue your athletic career at an educational institution. There should be a professional minor league where you can pursue your avocation.

In the end college fans root for the Jersey and if the level of play drops off a little bit because the top prospects have an avenue that allows them to become pros and skip college we’ll get passed it, continue to enjoy our teams games and ultimately teams will be on a more equal footing.
We can't be selectively naive about big money College basketball or football and talk about college is for an education and blame the greedy athletes. If we long for the good old innocent days of college sports, then let's not talk about athlete greed but go back to where it all started: ever expanding stadiums and athletic centers that rivals pro facilities, huge $$$ tv deals, coaches and schools with Nike, adidas, sports marketing deals, million dollar salaries for coaches, the list goes on and on. If we want to scale things back as they are out of control and these kids want more than an education, let's cap coach salaries to less than six figures, cap the size of playing facilities to a few thousand, and all opponents should be in the school's region so that these kids can travel on game day and get back in time for the following day classes - and all games should only be available by regional conference. This way, college sports can be truly collegiate.

Last edited:
The cat is out of the bag and money rules. Can’t blame the players- the system took advantage of them for so long. I’d be okay with this if I thought Cuse would/could play with the big guys. Sadly, we can’t/won’t.

I want the colleges that want the semi pro model to break away asap. No laws, let the boosters do whatever they want to get players. Let them play each other, I hope they have a grand old time bidding against each other for players, coaches, building crazy facilities, etc.

Throw the NCAA out. They are worthless and nothing can be saved from that organization.

The schools that want players to go to class need to get together and set up a framework for a new model. One where there are rules. Kind of like we have now but with a regulatory group overseeing things that has well thought out rules that it actually enforces.

Where NIL is okay but only after players are in college. Where there are clear rules designed to limit the impact boosters and agents can have on college sports.

The semi pro franchises will never play the college programs, just like pro teams do not play college teams today.

If the semi pro franchises want to merge with G league type teams, no problem. There really are no rules for them.

We have to separate these groups asap. Let the public and the market place decide who is going to get money and tv contracts.

I think, and perhaps I am completely wrong here, that when push comes to shove, we are looking at maybe 30 schools that are willing to prostitute their names in search of money and athletic glory.

It wound be great to have a football season where we have no idea who is going to make the playoffs, let alone win the NC. Where the playing field is relatively level and hope abounds.
I don’t think this can legally happen.

For those who were sad when the Nats left town, we just might get professional sports back in Syracuse!

I've often wondered who would win: 1955 Nats vs. 2003 SU. :oops::rolleyes:

What would the players do? There’s no legal right for a transfer to play at all, let alone right away.
It’s hard to take away something that’s been given. I’m confident no one would want the blow back. Players will want to unionize even more.

Wouldn’t be wise PR either

It’s hard to take away something that’s been given. I’m confident no one would want the blow back. Players will want to unionize even more.

Wouldn’t be wise PR either
Legally there can’t be a union comprised of all college players, just those at a particular school (if that). If the NCAA had the fortitude to restore the rule there would be no player recourse other than to simply forego college football.

Legally there can’t be a union comprised of all college players, just those at a particular school (if that). If the NCAA had the fortitude to restore the rule there would be no player recourse other than to simply forego college football.
Or bball.

We can't be selectively naive about big money College basketball or football and talk about college is for an education and blame the greedy athletes. If we long for the good old innocent days of college sports, then let's not talk about athlete greed but go back to where it all started: ever expanding stadiums and athletic centers that rivals pro facilities, huge $$$ tv deals, coaches and schools with Nike, adidas, sports marketing deals, million dollar salaries for coaches, the list goes on and on. If we want to scale things back as they are out of control and these kids want more than an education, let's cap coach salaries to less than six figures, cap the size of playing facilities to a few thousand, and all opponents should be in the school's region so that these kids can travel on game day and get back in time for the following day classes - and all games should only be available by regional conference. This way, college sports can be truly collegiate.

You missed my point. I’m not blaming the athletes, they are currently being forced through the college “amateur” system post high school pre-payday whether they have an interest in an education or not.

Baseball has a better system. If you are not interested in an education you can immediately go to the minor leagues and try to earn a living playing. If you are interested in an education you can have it paid or partially paid for and continue your athletic development while getting the education and then flip to pro when you either have your education, as much of it as you want to get, or determine you can make it as a pro and would rather try that than continue in school.

Last edited:
College Basketball soon won't be popular enough for there to be NIL deals for 5,000 scholarship players across the 350+ schools.

But only 60 players get drafted every year and 20 of them aren't NCAA players and 20 players out of the draft don't make rosters. You can't blame someone like Wong who is a 2nd rounder for trying to get paid.

Schools don’t want that anywhere. Point is simple, in 2022, there is no way the transfer genie goes back in the bottle without lots and lots of bad PR and unhappy players.

It does blow. It’s no longer a college sport. Hell even the pros have a salary cap. It’s no longer about identifying talent, recruiting that talent, coaching and development, etc etc. It’s now going to be about which school is lucky enough to have businesses and individuals willing to part with millions of dollars.
Before I read about this particular problem, I was wondering why a coach spends a lot of time recruiting hs kids nowadays. . Why not just stop and take kids from the portal. See how kids do against college talent, pick up kids with 1, 2 or 3 years of college. Find the 3 & 4 star ones who are looking to move on. But that was before this nonsense. Now it's not a question of playing time, or better exposure, now its going to be a question of money.

Schools don’t want that anywhere. Point is simple, in 2022, there is no way the transfer genie goes back in the bottle without lots and lots of bad PR and unhappy players.
We disagree.

The article has been updated...Wong and family have basically backpeddled and said this was a false statement put out by HIS own agent...in another galaxy it almost seems like he realized how this made himself look to his team mates and or he was unable to get the demands met in the 1 day ultimatum previously stated...why would his agent say that unless it's what was inferred to him those were the set demands. Maybe sleeping on it for a night changed their minds. Maybe others will tread a bit more carefully. Or maybe they'll just have a 2 day ultimatum instead LOL

The innocence and purity of ncaa sports is over.

That was what differentiated it from pro sports as emotion and passion drove athletes it not money.

Money is truly root of all evil. Sad
Most misquoted statement ever... money is neutral. LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And we see it on this board.

The 1955 Nats vs 2003 Orange would have been a good game .I saw both of them play. George King,Red Rocha and Wally Osterkorn were my neighbors. Red lived one house down the street his daughter Terry was my age and a friend.

College sports, especially college basketball, has been going downhill for a while. First it was the one and done's, then it was the portal, and now the NIL. As a fan it's sad to know the sport I grew up loving in the 80's and 90's is never coming back. The best part of college sports was watching young kids come in as freshman and develop throughout their careers. After 3 or 4 years it's like they became part of the family. Now it;s just hired assassins with no loyalty. The one thing that made college sports fun, and different from pro sports is gone. College football held out longer thanks to the NFL rules that the athlete had to be out of HS for 3 years, but now that sport is gone as well. Sad times knowing the 2 sports you loved will no longer be the same.