It was bound to happen ... | Syracusefan.com

It was bound to happen ...

cto

Administrator
A college player threatens to become a free agent unless he gets more money at his current school. Suddenly the ACC looks just like MLB or the NBA.

A college player threatens to become a free agent unless he gets more money at his current school. Suddenly the ACC looks just like MLB or the NBA.
The end of college sports

The end of college sports

Yep it is completely ridiculous and truly the Wild West now. No NCAA leadership at all. Every big time recruit, every transfer and players who have a good year will be demanding more $ and talking with other teams throughout the year and getting offers. Deepest pockets will win.

Cuse should demand prior wins back right now and just reflect those wins in all records and communications. NCAA can’t do anything and won’t.

Cuse

Miami is completely out of control. Wait until they sit out games because they want to renegotiate. They’ve created a monster. Loyalty is no longer. Don‘t ever doubt to over recruit or use the portal to increase the talent on your team. The recruits you’re worried about losing, may just up and leave the following year. Are you listening JB?

All those handlers...all those hanger on family members...all the surrogate family members that have been steering kids to certain schools for years. Crawling out of the woodwork for their slice so brazenly now. Jeez. Nice to know you college sports.

Who would’ve thought that such things would happen!*sarcasm* This stinks. It’s weird because I support the kids making money off t shirts and appearances on commercials etc. but it’s the fact that players now act like a pro athlete that is in a university setting is what turns me off to the NLI. It’s just too wide open for better and for worse.

Yep it is completely ridiculous and truly the Wild West now. No NCAA leadership at all. Every big time recruit, every transfer and players who have a good year will be demanding more $ and talking with other teams throughout the year and getting offers. Deepest pockets will win.

Cuse should demand prior wins back right now and just reflect those wins in all records and communications. NCAA can’t do anything and won’t.

Cuse
The NCAA has no power to stop it.

Who would’ve thought that such things would happen!*sarcasm* This stinks. It’s weird because I support the kids making money off t shirts and appearances on commercials etc. but it’s the fact that players now act like a pro athlete that is in a university setting is what turns me off to the NLI. It’s just too wide open for better and for worse.
They did that in recruiting

Miami is completely out of control. Wait until they sit out games because they want to renegotiate. They’ve created a monster. Loyalty is no longer. Don‘t ever doubt to over recruit or use the portal to increase the talent on your team. The recruits you’re worried about losing, may just up and leave the following year. Are you listening JB?
Spot on

Whats the point of having a compliance department now when there is just a vague 1 page of rules with no foreseable enforcement

I want the colleges that want the semi pro model to break away asap. No laws, let the boosters do whatever they want to get players. Let them play each other, I hope they have a grand old time bidding against each other for players, coaches, building crazy facilities, etc.

Throw the NCAA out. They are worthless and nothing can be saved from that organization.

The schools that want players to go to class need to get together and set up a framework for a new model. One where there are rules. Kind of like we have now but with a regulatory group overseeing things that has well thought out rules that it actually enforces.

Where NIL is okay but only after players are in college. Where there are clear rules designed to limit the impact boosters and agents can have on college sports.

The semi pro franchises will never play the college programs, just like pro teams do not play college teams today.

If the semi pro franchises want to merge with G league type teams, no problem. There really are no rules for them.

We have to separate these groups asap. Let the public and the market place decide who is going to get money and tv contracts.

I think, and perhaps I am completely wrong here, that when push comes to shove, we are looking at maybe 30 schools that are willing to prostitute their names in search of money and athletic glory.

It wound be great to have a football season where we have no idea who is going to make the playoffs, let alone win the NC. Where the playing field is relatively level and hope abounds.

I’m glad I have the Patriot League and several Div III teams to root for. I’ll watch the Orange and some ND games but that’s about it. Otherwise it is small college ball from now on.

So now for top hoops and football players we have entered the " I am going to college to make money" phase. It's not to get an education or win a championship or ( insert here). I'm all for not allowing the manipulation of student athletes. That said without proper guard rails and ability to enforce them this turns into a whole different animal.

I am missing something here, how can he have an agent while still in school? Are college athletes allowed to have agents now?

Two wongs don't make a right.

Also what is this threat to enter portal directed to? Is it U of Miami? Can't be since the school does not have an official role in the NIL deals, so it is directed to the businesses who offered him NIL deals to re-up their deals? Or to UM to find him more NIL deals?

Last edited:
I am missing something here, how can he have an agent while still in school? Are college athletes allowed to have agents now?
No no no! You've got it all wrong! It's just a representative for Wong!

This blows. I dont even blame the players because if you can get paid to play then your foolish not to. But if I'm going to waste my time watching "pro's", I'll probably watch the real pro's and not the minor leagues

It does blow. It’s no longer a college sport. Hell even the pros have a salary cap. It’s no longer about identifying talent, recruiting that talent, coaching and development, etc etc. It’s now going to be about which school is lucky enough to have businesses and individuals willing to part with millions of dollars.

Two wongs don't make a right.

Also what is this threat to enter portal directed to? Is it U of Miami? Can't be since the school do not have a role in the NIL deals, so it is directed to the businesses who offered him NIL deals to re-up their deals? Or to UM to find him more NIL deals?

You can have an agent represent you for NIL deals. Some SU athletes have gotten agents or agencies.

The NCAA has no power to stop it.
exactly, the minute the Supreme Court(unanimously) ruled as they did it was over, the NCAA can't regulate any of this now, if they had been proactive(ha ha) a few years ago and had set up some parameters for NIL they very well could have prevented this.