Italy trip ... Part Three | Syracusefan.com

Italy trip ... Part Three

cto

Administrator
This is the third part of a three-part post that had to be split up because the site does not allow more than four pictures in a post.

10) Obligatory sight-seeing report: The group (players, staff and fans) saw everything... and I do mean everything... in Lake Como, Venice, Florence and Rome (as well as in Siena where we stopped en route to play a game). Venice's canals and St Mark's Square; Florence's amazing churches, museums and renaissance history; Rome's incredible sites (e.g., the Coliseum, the Forum, the Vatican and St. Peter's). Hard to select a picture, but I will go with Michelangelo's "David" at the Galleria Dell Academia in Florence.
Image may contain: 2 people, including Joyce Hergenhan, people smiling, people standing

11) Happy unexpected bonus! Siena is one of my favorite cities in the world, and I've always wanted to attend the Palio horse race there. Sadly we missed it by one day (it was held on August 16, and we stopped in Siena to play a game on the morning of August 17). However, we arrived there just in time for the huge and noisy parade by the victorious Rhinoceros Contrada . Note the rhino on the drums. The Rhino Contrada (or ward) had won an exciting race around the town square the previous night with a riderless horse after its bareback rider got pushed off his steed by another rider (permissible Palio behavior). Jeremiah Maher and I had actually watched the race on his cell phone at our hotel bar in Florence, so we knew all about the Rhino's great victory. Two videos here, watch them both if you're interested. The riderless-horse video is amazing. ..

Image may contain: 6 people

In summary... It was a fabulous trip -- for the players, the staff and the 20-25 fans who were so fortunate to participate. The team members really seem to like each other, and one could witness their "bonding" as the trip progressed. And the newcomers showed a lot of talent on the court. Joe Girard, for example, is not a one-dimensional player. He shot more than 40 per cent from behind the line, but he also showed more quickness and athleticism than I expected.

The team, the staff, and the fans did everything together, so it was an amazing experience for the fans in the group. I did not know the majority of "the fans" prior to the trip, but we all became very good friends as the trip progressed.

Oh, and then there was the food. The team, staff and fans ate most meals together ... and did we ever eat! The food was so good. I was literally afraid to step on the scale this morning. And all I've had today was a Dunkin Donuts "power breakfast sandwich" --- which I ate at 5 p.m.

As a final note, I have never seen Jim Boeheim so relaxed, happy and outgoing. He was just "one of the guys" ... who waited in line like everyone else and didn't seem annoyed by it ... or by anything else.

Really dumb PS: This picture of Florence's Duomo (where Jim Boeheim and the team climbed the 463 steps) was supposed to be part of # 3.
Somehow it disappeared when I cut the post into three parts.
Florence's Cathedral

Last edited:
Thanks, Joyce! We'll be in Rome and Florence next summer for a couple of days each. Love hearing the report and the early word of team cohesion and talent. Div. II competition or not, I'm starting to look at this squad as one that could really surprise. In a good way, that is.

Glad you and the rest of the crew had a great time. I am working hard on making a trip back to Subzerocuse for a game this winter and hope our paths can cross when I do. I would *love* for my girls (now 7th graders!) to meet the legendary CTO, about whom they've heard an awful lot.

This is the third part of a three-part post that had to be split up because the site does not allow more than four pictures in a post.

10) Obligatory sight-seeing report: The group (players, staff and fans) saw everything... and I do mean everything... in Lake Como, Venice, Florence and Rome (as well as in Siena where we stopped en route to play a game). Venice's canals and St Mark's Square; Florence's amazing churches, museums and renaissance history; Rome's incredible sites (e.g., the Coliseum, the Forum, the Vatican and St. Peter's). Hard to select a picture, but I will go with Michelangelo's "David" at the Galleria Dell Academia in Florence.
Image may contain: 2 people, including Joyce Hergenhan, people smiling, people standing

11) Happy unexpected bonus! Siena is one of my favorite cities in the world, and I've always wanted to attend the Palio horse race there. Sadly we missed it by one day (it was held on August 16, and we stopped in Siena to play a game on the morning of August 17). However, we arrived there just in time for the huge and noisy parade by the victorious Rhinoceros Contrada . Note the rhino on the drums. The Rhino Contrada (or ward) had won an exciting race around the town square the previous night with a riderless horse after its bareback rider got pushed off his steed by another rider (permissible Palio behavior). Jeremiah Maher and I had actually watched the race on his cell phone at our hotel bar in Florence, so we knew all about the Rhino's great victory. Two videos here, watch them both if you're interested. The riderless-horse video is amazing. ..

Image may contain: 6 people

In summary... It was a fabulous trip -- for the players, the staff and the 20-25 fans who were so fortunate to participate. The team members really seem to like each other, and one could witness their "bonding" as the trip progressed. And the newcomers showed a lot of talent on the court. Joe Girard, for example, is not a one-dimensional player. He shot about 40 per cent from behind the line, but he also showed more quickness and athleticism than I expected.

The team, the staff, and the fans did everything together, so it was an amazing experience for the fans in the group. I did not know the majority of "the fans" prior to the trip, but we all became very good friends as the trip progressed.

Oh, and then there was the food. The team, staff and fans ate most meals together ... and did we ever eat! The food was so good. I was literally afraid to step on the scale this morning. And all I've had today was a Dunkin Donuts "power breakfast sandwich" --- which I ate at 5 p.m.

As a final note, I have never seen Jim Boeheim so relaxed, happy and outgoing. He was just "one of the guys" ... who waited in line like everyone else and didn't seem annoyed by it ... or by anything else.

Really dumb PS: This photo of Florence's Duomo (where Jim Boeheim and the team climbed the 463 steps) was supposed to be part of # 3.
Somehow it disappeared when I cut the post into three parts.
Florence's Cathedral's Cathedral

As I said, the Duomo, Campanile, Battistero trifecta is, IMHO, the world's most beautiful...

When we lived in Florence back in the late 70s, we used to walk by the Accademia every day on the way to catch the bus to school. One could see David through the glass doors from the street. Now people wait in line for 3 hours to see it.

We also climbed the Duomo when we were there in early July. Little tight, and very hot, but worth the time and the wait.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you very much Joyce for sharing the interesting posts on the recent Syracuse trip to Italy. Your approach to focus on the non-game events, sights and day to day experiences on this trip was super. Though we got a full dose of game reports on this board, your posts allowed us to see what was happening the other 95% of the time involving players, coaches, family and friends. What a great bonding experience for this year's team.

No visit to Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, where Michelangelo, Rossini, Machiavelli, and Galileo are buried? Maybe next time...

No visit to Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, where Michelangelo, Rossini, Machiavelli, and Galileo are buried? Maybe next time...
Santa Croce was not on the formal itinerary, but a group of us visited it early one morning before our formal program started that day (We were literally first in line when the doors of Santa Croce opened). It was fabulous. The tombs of Michelangelo and the others were awesome.

Santa Croce was not on the formal itinerary, but a group of us visited it early one morning before our formal program started that day (We were literally first in line when the doors of Santa Croce opened). It was fabulous. The tombs of Michelangelo and the others were awesome.

It is humbling and overwhelming at the same time. Glad you got to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom