It's all about the A... | Syracusefan.com

It's all about the A...

Ptzburghcuse

Walk On
Yes it is early but I find it very interesting the way our team is distributing the ball this year.

Five games into the year, and including the worst offensive showing in SU dome history, we have the following:

SU is averaging 17.6 assists per game an incredible stat again considering the futility displayed in trying to operate versus the defending national champs (7 assists).

Since that opening game, we have had the following assist totals - 20, 18, 18, and 25 - granted this isn't top flight competition, but I very much enjoy this brand of SU basketball and the movement along with the pace is a big part of it.

For individual players we have the following:
  1. Hughes registered 8 games in total having 3 or more assists in 2019 (34 total games). Thus far this year he has had 4 such games in 5 total games. Now obviously without Howard, Battle, and Brisset someone has to step up but he has clearly elevated this aspect of his game.
  2. Buddy - had 3 games with 3 assists or more in 2019 (34 games) and has matched that total in 5 games this year.
  3. Marek - had 8 games with 3 or more assists in 2019 and has had 3 thus far this year through 5.
  4. JGIII has had 3 games with 3 or more assists so far despite limited action in 1.25 games early in the year.

Last year our team registered 15 or more assists on 5 occasions in 34 games. This year we have done it 4 times in 5 games. This team has also eclipsed last years best assist game and matched the number of 20+ assist games relative to the 2019 team in just 5 games.

I think the numbers will come down as the opposition gets tougher but it is a very encouraging sign to see such good distribution of the ball.
Go SU!

So, how do people think the agony of that first game contributed to the ecstasy of the following four?

This is the reason it’s been so fun to watch. I was tired of iso, standing around and walking it up. While I’m unsure it’ll translate into a good year it will be much more fun to watch.

There are 353 D-1 basketball teams. Last year SU was close to the bottom in 3-point shooting. After yesterday's game we are #82 at 36% and 41.8% over the last 3 games. I don't expect the team to shoot 50% as they did yesterday, but after the last few years, 40% as a team would be fantastic and keep us in a lot of games.

There are 353 D-1 basketball teams. Last year SU was close to the bottom in 3-point shooting. After yesterday's game we are #82 at 36% and 41.8% over the last 3 games. I don't expect the team to shoot 50% as they did yesterday, but after the last few years, 40% as a team would be fantastic and keep us in a lot of games.
I don't know about 40% but I think we will be a very good 3 pt shooting team this year.

Moving the line back will lower the 3pt average this year over all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom