It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

Nice opening-night TV doubleheader -- Knicks at Cleveland, San Antonio at Golden State -- curious to see how Rose and Durant look in their new surroundings. Big Cavs fan, but if I were still a betting man, I'd be tempted to take the Knicks and the 9 1/2 tonight.
Bettors flocking to Knicks as long-shot title pick

LOL at "long shot title pick" in the NBA. Long shots don't win in the NBA. I feel like it's a long shot just for the finals to be something other than Cavs-Warriors.

LOL at "long shot title pick" in the NBA. Long shots don't win in the NBA. I feel like it's a long shot just for the finals to be something other than Cavs-Warriors.

That is the big problem with the Nba, you can pencil in the finals today.

NBA not even trying to mess around the the Anthem stuff at this game. Entire crowd sang it.

I respect Kaep and support his stance but that was pretty cool.

That team has two good players. Rose and Noah are washed up. The bench is trash.

#game1hottake
Rose actually looks pretty good.

The bench vs Lebron/Kyrie/Love for an extended period of time was comical.

I was laughing when they had Melo mic'd up and he was yelling to O'Quinn to "let it come". That guy was WAY too pressed out there.

Nice opening-night TV doubleheader -- Knicks at Cleveland, San Antonio at Golden State -- curious to see how Rose and Durant look in their new surroundings. Big Cavs fan, but if I were still a betting man, I'd be tempted to take the Knicks and the 9 1/2 tonight.
Bettors flocking to Knicks as long-shot title pick

And that, ladies and germs, is why I'm glad I'm no longer a betting man.

It's been a rough day for Melo.

A year ago he made a pretty substantial investment in a soccer team in the NASL, Puerto Rico FC. Today, the NASL took a pretty substantial step toward becoming defunct by losing two teams to a rival league (Think the Big East losing Cuse and Pitt to the ACC).

On top of that, the Knicks really looked like they could have used some more time together in the preseason. They really didn't pass the eye test tonight, albeit against a very good Cavs team.

17 points on 17 shots and 1 assist. Brutal numbers for a PG.

I wasn't a fan of the trade, but its going to take time for them to learn how to play together.

I wasn't a fan of the trade, but its going to take time for them to learn how to play together.

Agreed, but his performance last year was similar...decent PPG on a poor %. He's never been a big assists guy. Doesn't hit threes, doesn't get to the line much, lots of tough shots around the rim. I don't think it was a bad trade because it's low risk and they had to try something. Things will get better as they gel. Hard to see him getting anywhere close to his old form though. He seems to be in the Penny Hardaway, still decent and not that old but not nearly the same as he was post major injury phase.

Can't take too much away from one game, but Kyrie really looks like he's ready to be a top 10 player in the league. Also, the Spurs are amazing in their ability to find bench players and maximize their value.