It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

It's way early, it's a l-o-n-g season, but I love what we're seeing so far from Little Luke's post-Kobe Lakers.
Enthusiastic Lakers loving life after rolling over Warriors

Yup. They didn't play as well defensively last night as the numbers indicate, but they are much improved on both ends of the floor. He's even got Nick Young playing solid defense.

Ingram looks tight and jittery on his jumpers so far, but I like what I see out of him otherwise. He's made some nice defensive plays, is handling the ball and initiating the offense a lot. Randle and Russell both look improved. I really like the way Randle is utilizing his passing skills this year...he's got them, but he played with tunnel vision last year. Luke has him trying to play like Draymond. Clarkson is solid and fitting well into his role. And a nice mix of veterans who are playing well so far, to help this young team develop: Deng, Williams, Young, Mosgov.

It's only 7 games, but wow - the Clippers are looking really good. I watched most of their game last night and they look like they could have the goods this year. Great defense, strong bench, and a Big Three as good as or better than anyone outside of Cleveland and the Bay.

Why do the Knicks insist on playing games against the Nfl?I had no idea they even lost to Utah on sunday.

It's only 7 games, but wow - the Clippers are looking really good. I watched most of their game last night and they look like they could have the goods this year. Great defense, strong bench, and a Big Three as good as or better than anyone outside of Cleveland and the Bay.

Last night was a great night to have league pass. Good distraction from politics and a number of the elite teams were on their A game.

Clippers are rolling, really wish the Knicks had Chris Paul, he is exactly the kind of pg they need.
Derozan was unstoppable last night, didn't think he would play with this much intensity after signing the big contract in the off-season...
Klay busted out his slump and at least last night, KD was fitting in very well

Clippers looked awesome again last night; Doc pulled the starters in the 3rd quarter up 45 on a very good Portland squad. Everything is working for them right now. Luc Mbah a Moute is making a case for 1st team All Defensive team; defends all 5 positions, last night shut down Lillard.

Clippers looked awesome again last night; Doc pulled the starters in the 3rd quarter up 45 on a very good Portland squad. Everything is working for them right now. Luc Mbah a Moute is making a case for 1st team All Defensive team; defends all 5 positions, last night shut down Lillard.

Like the Clippers, CP3, Doc a lot, glad to see how well they're playing. We've already had two Warriors-Cavs finals, I'd love to see the Clippers and Cavs go at it. Long time from now to the playoffs, hopefully the Clippers can shake the injury maloik.

I'd rather see Warriors/Cavs III than the Clippers. Detest them.

I'd rather see Warriors/Cavs III than the Clippers. Detest them.
Lakers fan?

As a Cavs fan, I'd be happy with a Warriors-Cavs tiebreaker, I just think it'd be nice to mix things up a bit.

Lakers fan?

As a Cavs fan, I'd be happy with a Warriors-Cavs tiebreaker, I just think it'd be nice to mix things up a bit.

Oh yeah. Lob city oooh show all our dunk highlights yeah we act like fake tough guys against the Warriors yet we've never won a flippin' thing. Getting Doc and Paul Pierce brought my hate to levels I didn't think I had. Anyway Lakers/Kings on TNT tonight. This might be the Kings' only national TV appearance so I hope Richardson can get some run tonight.

Oh yeah. Lob city oooh show all our dunk highlights yeah we act like fake tough guys against the Warriors yet we've never won a flippin' thing. Getting Doc and Paul Pierce brought my hate to levels I didn't think I had. Anyway Lakers/Kings on TNT tonight. This might be the Kings' only national TV appearance so I hope Richardson can get some run tonight.

LOL. Awesome rant. I do like the nut puncher's game too much to hold his ahole tendencies against him...but I hold a lot of bitterness towards Stern for vetoing the trade. Screwed us up for 5 years.

I do think this is the Clips year where they have a legit shot. Ultimately I don't think they'll get it done if the Warriors are healthy, but this is the best overall team they have had.

Lakers will be better than them by the end of the decade though, and this bizarre decade of bball where the commish weirdly tried to stick it to the league's premier franchise will be behind us.

This year's Clippers would currently go down as the greatest defensive team of all-time, but yeah, totally soft group of players there.

I think I made this point months ago, but there's a really good chance the Clippers go down as one of those fascinating (to me, at least, don't want to speak for anyone else) teams that are really good for a long time but never really do a whole lot. Since they got Paul, here are their win totals

2012: 50 (i'm prorating their win total to a full season, they were 40-26)
2013: 56
2014: 57
2015: 56
2016: 53
And it seems like a lock they'll win 50 games again this year, and probably in the mid 50's. But they've never even made the conference finals yet.

The Bucks from 1980-87 won 50 games 7 times (with a 49 win season) and only made it as far as the east finals twice, and never really threatened to win those series.

The Hawks from 86-89 won 50 games 4 years in a row but lost in the first round once and the second round the other 3 times.

The Jazz before their back to back finals runs were like this. Memphis the last few years. Dallas at the turn of the century. Those teams that were good for a long run but never broke through, I don't know why but I'm fascinated by them

I think I made this point months ago, but there's a really good chance the Clippers go down as one of those fascinating (to me, at least, don't want to speak for anyone else) teams that are really good for a long time but never really do a whole lot. Since they got Paul, here are their win totals

2012: 50 (i'm prorating their win total to a full season, they were 40-26)
2013: 56
2014: 57
2015: 56
2016: 53
And it seems like a lock they'll win 50 games again this year, and probably in the mid 50's. But they've never even made the conference finals yet.

The Bucks from 1980-87 won 50 games 7 times (with a 49 win season) and only made it as far as the east finals twice, and never really threatened to win those series.

The Hawks from 86-89 won 50 games 4 years in a row but lost in the first round once and the second round the other 3 times.

The Jazz before their back to back finals runs were like this. Memphis the last few years. Dallas at the turn of the century. Those teams that were good for a long run but never broke through, I don't know why but I'm fascinated by them

Early 2000 Kings teams too. I think they hit 50-55 wins 4 years in a row or something like that. I loved those teams. And of course the Nash Suns teams.

Early 2000 Kings teams too. I think they hit 50-55 wins 4 years in a row or something like that. I loved those teams. And of course the Nash Suns teams.

Kings are a good one, they were soooo close to breaking through in 2002.

Kings won 55, 61, 59, 55, 50 from 2001-2005. They made the the west finals just the one time, in 2002.

LOL. Awesome rant. I do like the nut puncher's game too much to hold his ahole tendencies against him...but I hold a lot of bitterness towards Stern for vetoing the trade. Screwed us up for 5 years.

I do think this is the Clips year where they have a legit shot. Ultimately I don't think they'll get it done if the Warriors are healthy, but this is the best overall team they have had.

Lakers will be better than them by the end of the decade though, and this bizarre decade of bball where the commish weirdly tried to stick it to the league's premier franchise will be behind us.
the young Lakers look like they are about a year ahead of schedule right now. which, oddly enough, will hurt them a little because it will cost them their draft pick this year. but I'm really looking forward to the Lakers/Clippers games.

one point: it's time to get over blaming Stern. It wasn't his doing. The Hornets were owned by the NBA, and it was ownership who made that decision, Stern was just the messenger. The other 29 team owners colluded (or, 28, really because the Busses obviously didn't participate) to make that decision, which is f*cked up in its own self-dealing way, but there was nothing Stern could do - he was just an employee.

the young Lakers look like they are about a year ahead of schedule right now. which, oddly enough, will hurt them a little because it will cost them their draft pick this year. but I'm really looking forward to the Lakers/Clippers games.

one point: it's time to get over blaming Stern. It wasn't his doing. The Hornets were owned by the NBA, and it was ownership who made that decision, Stern was just the messenger. The other 29 team owners colluded (or, 28, really because the Busses obviously didn't participate) to make that decision, which is f*cked up in its own self-dealing way, but there was nothing Stern could do - he was just an employee.

I really like the way Randle is progressing and utilizing his passing skills and taking better shots. Ingram isn't even all that productive yet, but he will be. Once he takes off, look out. I think he's going to be really good in a couple years.

Getting Clarkson and Nance so late at least partially offsets losing a first rounder to Philly.

the young Lakers look like they are about a year ahead of schedule right now. which, oddly enough, will hurt them a little because it will cost them their draft pick this year..

Not only that, but they potentially owe a first to the Magic as well. If they send their first to Philly this year, then they send a first in 2109 to Orlando. But if they don't send the pick this year, they don't owe a 1 to Orlando.

I'm not a Laker fan, but I loved Kobe. His will to win was amazing to see, and I think he should have had at least 2 additional MVP awards

all that being said, his presence clearly held these kids' developments back last year. Byron's presence, too.

I'm not a Laker fan, but I loved Kobe. His will to win was amazing to see, and I think he should have had at least 2 additional MVP awards

all that being said, his presence clearly held these kids' developments back last year. Byron's presence, too.

Yup. He needed to go. Which is hard to say because he's one of the all time greats and a career Laker. But he was done physically and his contract and presence made it hard to start a full youth movement. At the same time, being bad last year paid off with Ingram and Kobe still put butts in the seats, so it worked out. The last few minutes of his final game were incredible.

Byron is a Laker great too and one of my all time favorites, but Walton has been a huge breathe of fresh air.

his last game was awesome. he was just chucking up shots most of the game, but when Winning Time came, the old Kobe arrived, too. Those last few minutes were legit and that was vintage Kobe. Great way to go out.

This year's Clippers would currently go down as the greatest defensive team of all-time, but yeah, totally soft group of players there.

Wake me up when the get past the 2nd round

Yup. He needed to go. Which is hard to say because he's one of the all time greats and a career Laker. But he was done physically and his contract and presence made it hard to start a full youth movement. At the same time, being bad last year paid off with Ingram and Kobe still put butts in the seats, so it worked out. The last few minutes of his final game were incredible.

Byron is a Laker great too and one of my all time favorites, but Walton has been a huge breathe of fresh air.

The Kobe retirement tour allowed the Lakers to tank without the same scorn that Philly got.

Watched the Knicks Blazers game in VR last night. Great experience. They have Antoine Walker calling the games, he's not great but the play-by-play man is good and does a good job telling you where to look. E.g. "Look to your left to see Carmelo standing next to you, about to check into the game." Definitely an improvement over a couple games I watched last year. Anyone that has a VR capable phone and NBA League pass, definitely encourage watching the Heat Knicks game in two weeks. Next week's game is on at the same time as Wisconsin Syracuse.

Watched the Knicks Blazers game in VR last night. Great experience. They have Antoine Walker calling the games, he's not great but the play-by-play man is good and does a good job telling you where to look. E.g. "Look to your left to see Carmelo standing next to you, about to check into the game." Definitely an improvement over a couple games I watched last year. Anyone that has a VR capable phone and NBA League pass, definitely encourage watching the Heat Knicks game in two weeks. Next week's game is on at the same time as Wisconsin Syracuse.

I was at the game last night, really fun for a random November NBA game. Porzingis is going to be a great player really soon.