its time for a new stadium | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

its time for a new stadium

I like the Dome. Why can't we try and make it into the "Cameron Indoor Stadium" of college football? That place only seats 9,300 and is considered one of the best in basketball. If we could get 49,900 in it, it could be the same thing. It's hard to imagine that any place is louder when the Dome is full and rocking. If we spend money upgrading locker rooms and put butts in the seats the recruits will take notice. I love that the fans are so close to the field, and there's not a bad seat in the house. The only major change I would make would be replacing the aluminum benches with individual plastic seats. That might reduce capacity, but does that matter much right now?

I'm not claiming that we should sink money that would put us into debt to do it, but we need a new stadium as soon as its possible.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word "need."

Seats with armrests would be most welcomed by just about everybody, in this day and age, people like their own space. And people don't like it when their space gets invaded. People really didn't mind space invaders as much back in the 80's.

So, lackluster crowds when you know you can watch a game sans rain gear.

And the fact the Dome makes 30,000 real people seem so much louder is lost on the argument.

Keep the Dome as long as possible. Modernize it, humanize it, etc., but it is unique and an advantage. And paid for.
yep

Seats with armrests would be most welcomed by just about everybody, in this day and age, people like their own space. And people don't like it when their space gets invaded. People really didn't mind space invaders as much back in the 80's.

Tennessee has the smallest bench seats I've ever seen; I'm an average size guy and the seat was 6" narrower than my ass when I went there for a game. It was...intimate. They get 100K per game.

It really seems like the Venn diagram for the "we need a new stadium" group and the "I don't go the the games because..." group would have nearly perfect overlap...

How many people who want an open air stadium ever sat nrhough a game in Archbold? I did and I'll take the Dome.

And if we want a new stadium, where is the $$$$? Shall we take up a collection?

You got that right! Or how about sitting there on a cold wintery Thursday night in the sleet. The dome was a godsend compared to Archbold. Be careful what you wish for people.

Want a test run? Attend a Bills night game in late November.

Welcome to Syracuse, the only football team in the world where the fans bitch about having to watch a game in the outdoors.

But seriously, the people who don't see why we need a new stadium, are ridiculous. Make another dome if you want to keep weather conditions out, but for sake, the Dome reeks of ******* depression and concrete. It's old, it looks old, and its not attractive at all.
when were winning and the dome is filled suddenly it does not look so bad, i agree with changing the seating,but winning changes everything including how the dome looks. if we are blue collar why not embrace that? and make the dome a lambeau field, a palestra,etc.etc. a place that opponents fear---its not s... .it just needs people to decorate it.

You got that right! Or how about sitting there on a cold wintery Thursday night in the sleet. The dome was a godsend compared to Archbold. Be careful what you wish for people.

Want a test run? Attend a Bills night game in late November.
Or the late season game when it decides to rain?Soaked the the bone and freezing your ass of sure is a pleasant way to spend your day.I would bet not a single person asking for an outdoor stadium EVER set foot in Archbold.We do not need a new stadim and if we did it sure shouldn't be an outdoor one.

when were winning and the dome is filled suddenly it does not look so bad, i agree with changing the seating,but winning changes everything including how the dome looks. if we are blue collar why not embrace that? and make the dome a lambeau field, a palestra,etc.etc. a place that opponents fear---its not s... .it just needs people to decorate it.

People keep talking aobut the "fan experience". The biggest part of the "fan experience" is the fans themsleves. That's what makes the place buzz, not mascots or contests or trampoline houses.

It is insane ... especially when it's named after the guy who invented air conditioning. :bat:

Screw air conditioning, we should be piping in heat for every game.

Well, fast forward 10 years. We had a streak of 7-win seasons. Lost 7 in a row to Georgie. And the attendance dropped. The only time we sell out is when Georgie, Clemson and maybe VT or Miami (depending on how hyped the game is).

So now we're saddled with this debt, and we needed to fire our bball coach ($7mil buyout) but couldn't until someone was will to walk in the door with a big check. Until we've had our recent success beginning in '08-'09 (and looks like this year), that stadium expansion has been like an albatross around GT's neck.

and it doesn't help that the crowd there acts more like a wine-and-cheese crowd than a beer-and-brats crowd. Am looking forward to watching 'Cuse in ATL soon!

A new stadium is an attraction on its own. asa lot of pro teams see their attendance increase significantly with a new stadium. To solve your roof problem, I suggest looking to do something like Red Bull Arena...cover the stands, leave the field exposed to the elements. If an MLS team can build it, I would have to think Cuse could do something similar..

RedBullArena.jpg

A new stadium is an attraction on its own. asa lot of pro teams see their attendance increase significantly with a new stadium. To solve your roof problem, I suggest looking to do something like Red Bull Arena...cover the stands, leave the field exposed to the elements. If an MLS team can build it, I would have to think Cuse could do something similar..

RedBullArena.jpg

For starters:
That's closer to 20,000 seats than 50,000 seats;
The temperature is never 25 when the Red Bulls play;
That stadium cost hundreds of millions of dollars that Syracuse University does not have and would not borrow; and
The Red Bulls weren't already playing in an organization-owned, well-maintained, perfectly-sized stadium

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom