I've seen enough | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

I've seen enough

The landscape is much, much different now than the last 40 years. We need name recognition, someone who can excite the boosters so that we can make a splash in the portal with NIL. Northeast ties are nice, but all that matters now to recruits is how much they can get paid. That's it.

The game is played in the trenches still. Syracuse needs to stop cupping farts and trying to be something it isn't. We are a northeast school who depends on northeastern recruits and interest to be successful.

1. we tried to be USC===FAIL
2. Dino tried to make us fast and Baylor-ish=A fail because we're not fast at all. He's almost made us slow.

Bob Chesney would be intriguing to me. I'd take Don Brown too even at 65 years old. Guy opened Michigan up to the pipeline in New England in a big way.

I think we're seduced by how Prime Time, SEC schools are doing it. We're Never going to be those schools. We'll win with Tim Greens staying home, not finding a guy who comes from Texas looking for his bag.

I'd take Marrone back in a heartbeat. But I don't think he's interested at all, and I think his wife is less interested.

That Holy Cross coach looks appealing. Mid 40s, northeast guy, has won everywhere he's been. Think of the money we could save too. Wouldn't have to whore out our home games to NYC.

But first things first, none of this talk matters unless we lose 3 more games in the regular season.
I'm doing the message board thing which is projecting if things go bad.

Oczams razor scenario to me is 6-6 and a retention of Dino.

He wouldn’t come here, why would he? KU can pay him more than we can or are willing to pay him. If he left KU it would be to move up to a bigger program. I am all Cignetti, 24-7, 365, 366 in a leap year
I would much rather Chesney over Cignetti.

Mike Houston isn't working out at ECU and JMU spends when it comes to football. No doubt I think what he is doing there is impressive but I'm not convinced that he's a star and idk about the fit here.

Chesney turning Holy Cross into a perennial playoff team that belongs on the same field as the FCS national champion is the work of a magician. And if we want to make a bowl every year and compete for a conference title every now and then we need a magician.

Throw in that he's a northeast guy and that we would be stealing him from under BC's nose and I am all in. I'm pretty sure he told UMass to kick rocks when they had an opening because he knows he's getting a northeast P5 job at some point.

Sure things in college sports don't exist but I think Chesney is as close as you can get to a sure thing high floor-high ceiling hire.

Leipold
Unfortunately the ship has sailed on him. He has a long contract with Kansas for 5 mill a year plus incentives. It’s possible he would have done the same as Babers anyway.

Come up with 5-7 million and try to get Mullen here. Maybe he can turn it around like he did MSU. I see similarities between us and MSU. They had a 29-65 the 8 years prior to Mullen and it was widely considered one the most difficult SEC schools to have success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Houston isn't working out at ECU and JMU spends when it comes to football. No doubt I think what he is doing there is impressive but I'm not convinced that he's a star and idk about the fit here.

Chesney turning Holy Cross into a perennial playoff team that belongs on the same field as the FCS national champion is the work of a magician. And if we want to make a bowl every year and compete for a conference title every now and then we need a magician.

Throw in that he's a northeast guy and that we would be stealing him from under BC's nose and I am all in. I'm pretty sure he told UMass to kick rocks when they had an opening because he knows he's getting a northeast P5 job at some point.

Sure things in college sports don't exist but I think Chesney is as close as you can get to a sure thing high floor-high ceiling hire.

Houston had been on my radar. He started out well but this year has been a mess. Which leads me to think he can coach but not recruit. Or it could just be a one off.

It is good to see a coach build his own thing. There is more danger when a guy has 2-3 good years and never really has his own guys.

IMO - it’s time for a change. When someone shows you who they are, believe them. I just don’t find the way Dino coaches enjoyable or productive.

Honestly, what scares me more is I’m not sure I have the trust in Wildhack making the right decision on who the next person in charge should be.

That’s where I’m at. I’m not sure I trust he knows when it’s time to move on and then when he does, trust he makes a good decision.

Don't disagree with the sentiment here and appreciate the context - the potential change would mark an obviously massive moment in the future of the program. Seeing how ADJW has operated with other coaching changes and his risk-adverse nature, I'm not sure Chesney has enough of a resume.

While I'm not even sold Cignetti would accept SU, Wildhack has to have something to 'sell' donors, recruits, fans that all he has been preaching about the 'brand' is backed up. Not sure a coach from Holy Cross, as promising as he may be, can move the needle with prominent stakeholders.

Chesney is a fine choice but Cignetti is a PA guy and has recruiting connections in the DMV with his current gig. His record is insane

Chesney is a fine choice but Cignetti is a PA guy and has recruiting connections in the DMV with his current gig. His record is insane
He is 62 years old though.

Chesney recruits the Catholic prep network which has a lot of decent players, especially for FCS, but not a lot of P5 talent.
Lot of same schools that BC recruits most likely. BC should hire him sooner rather than later, would be very good fit. Their coach (BC) ain't it either

I am certainly not anti-Cignetti. And I am definitely a little biased towards Chesney.

But I have bad feeling that if Dino gets canned he will be replaced with a P5 retread. I don't want that more than I want any specific coach.

He wouldn’t come here, why would he? KU can pay him more than we can or are willing to pay him. If he left KU it would be to move up to a bigger program. I am all Cignetti, 24-7, 365, 366 in a leap year

That's the type of hire that needs to be made ( Leipold) but much earlier, I will take it a step further whatever the process the UB AD followed when he hired Leipold out of the d3 ranks is the right process. Take a big risk, high ceiling and in 3-4 years MAYBE you can retain him, if not well is what it is. No NFL guys either.

Leipold/ Chesney have been successful head coaches for a long time at every stop

Lot of same schools that BC recruits most likely. BC should hire him sooner rather than later, would be very good fit. Their coach (BC) ain't it either
That would be the ceiling with Chesney. BC's team is still fighting hard, they haven't quit on Hafley.

Don't disagree with the sentiment here and appreciate the context - the potential change would mark an obviously massive moment in the future of the program. Seeing how ADJW has operated with other coaching changes and his risk-adverse nature, I'm not sure Chesney has enough of a resume.

While I'm not even sold Cignetti would accept SU, Wildhack has to have something to 'sell' donors, recruits, fans that all he has been preaching about the 'brand' is backed up. Not sure a coach from Holy Cross, as promising as he may be, can move the needle with prominent stakeholders.

No current HC that would move the needle is coming here. Neither would an OC or DC. Mullen might be the only guy we have a chance at and that is likely a small chance.

That's the type of hire that needs to be made ( Leipold) but much earlier, I will take it a step further whatever the process the UB AD followed when he hired Leipold out of the d3 ranks is the right process. Take a big risk, high ceiling and in 3-4 years MAYBE you can retain him, if not well is what it is. No NFL guys either.

Leipold/ Chesney have been successful head coaches for a long time at every stop

A lot of guys make the FCS transition to FBS. Bohl and Klieman have both had success. And Brian Kelly from from DII.

Ryan Carty seems to have a ton of potential. Might be worth keeping an eye on. He fits what we really need. Young, high flying O, from the Northeast.

A lot of guys make the FCS transition to FBS. Bohl and Klieman have both had success. And Brian Kelly from from DII.

Ryan Carty seems to have a ton of potential. Might be worth keeping an eye on. He fits what we really need. Young, high flying O, from the Northeast.
Yeah there are guys out there just need the right process and criteria to find them. Always going to be some risk involved but I am good with taking a big shot on a high ceiling guy versus some retread

That would be the ceiling with Chesney. BC's team is still fighting hard, they haven't quit on Hafley.
not sure anyone really knows what his ceiling is. Certainly not you or I

not sure anyone really knows what his ceiling is. Certainly not you or I
That's true. I'm just pointing out some factors that might inhibit his current success translating to another situation. Such as, he really doesn't have to recruit against anyone else at Holy Cross.

That's true. I'm just pointing out some factors that might inhibit his current success translating to another situation. Such as, he really doesn't have to recruit against anyone else at Holy Cross.
why wouldn't he have competition? I am sure there are kids that go to bigger programs, kids that go to IVY's, kids that go to Fordham or other similar schools etc

The game is played in the trenches still. Syracuse needs to stop cupping farts and trying to be something it isn't. We are a northeast school who depends on northeastern recruits and interest to be successful.

1. we tried to be USC===FAIL
2. Dino tried to make us fast and Baylor-ish=A fail because we're not fast at all. He's almost made us slow.

Bob Chesney would be intriguing to me. I'd take Don Brown too even at 65 years old. Guy opened Michigan up to the pipeline in New England in a big way.

I think we're seduced by how Prime Time, SEC schools are doing it. We're Never going to be those schools. We'll win with Tim Greens staying home, not finding a guy who comes from Texas looking for his bag.
I've been saying for years that SU has no realistic shot of winning the title. It'd be much more fun is SU can be the place for the up and coming offensive geniuses to use the Dome as their laboratory. If we get a future great which results in an historic season that's great. He moves on and we get the next one.

why wouldn't he have competition? I am sure there are kids that go to bigger programs, kids that go to IVY's, kids that go to Fordham or other similar schools etc
I would think that the players in the Catholic prep network are steered hard to go to a Catholic school by coaches and family. Holy Cross is a great academic school and is at the top of Catholic FCS schools. It's a different type of education than the Ivy's offer.

I would think that the players in the Catholic prep network are steered hard to go to a Catholic school by coaches and family. Holy Cross is a great academic school and is at the top of Catholic FCS schools. It's a different type of education than the Ivy's offer.
Would Georgetown and Fordham not be considered competition for similar? Both Jesuit

They are and I know as I am a product of these prep type schools you mention. Your premise is correct though but Holy Cross isn't the only option

Last edited:
Chesney is the guy. Caldwell is not a good fit. I'd want a NE guy - but someone young who gets NIL, portal, etc.

I think we've hit a ceiling with Dino. He's a good guy, but I don't think there's a corner left to turn, unless we win out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom