I've spent way too many years pining for Scoop Jardine | Syracusefan.com

I've spent way too many years pining for Scoop Jardine

Millhouse

Living Legend
This is nothing against Scoop, really. He was pretty good. But the guy is pushing 40 now, he wasn't so good that i should be saying MAN if only we had someone like Scoop Jardine around so many years

Jardine was a frustrating player, but he shows what can happen as a player develops over the course of their career. Came in as kind of a combo guard in the Flynn class, had a terrible shooting stroke. Gets injured, irons out the flaw in his shooting mechanics. Comes back after sitting out a year with a retooled game and garners sixth man of the year award from the sporting news. Struggles a little bit stepping into a bigger role as a junior, but by senior year has worked out a lot of the turnover issues from his game, and quarterbacks a team that goes 30-1 in the regular season and spends part of the year ranked #1.

Funny thing is, Jardine was no blue chipper. He wasn't a top NBA prospect. And he wasn't even a great player during his time here at any point during his career. He was just a guy who improved consistently over the course of his career, to the point where he was a pretty good player by the time he was a senior. I guess you could say the same thing about Gbinije if you count him as a 1, but that's part of what we've missed post-Jardine--having lead guards who come and are here for more than a year before bailing. College basketball is so guard driven, it is a significant disadvantage to not have above average point guard play.

Scoop could always finish and Triche could to for that matter.

this nonsense with Gillon has to go. He's a shoot first PG and sort of a ball hog. drives into traffic and tries to draw contact with obvious terrible results. this crap he probably got away with at his D2 program. he either needs to pass the ball off inside when he gets enveloped or stop and pop. he can't finish inside with the trees and he's not going to get any contact calls because hes a midget.

Last edited:
Scoop is miles better than our PG play the last 3 years.
I loved Gbibije but he was a SG we forced into the PG spot.
How Syracuse can't recruit a freaking PG with our all guard alumni staff is frustrating.

Jardine was a frustrating player, but he shows what can happen as a player develops over the course of their career. Came in as kind of a combo guard in the Flynn class, had a terrible shooting stroke. Gets injured, irons out the flaw in his shooting mechanics. Comes back after sitting out a year with a retooled game and garners sixth man of the year award from the sporting news. Struggles a little bit stepping into a bigger role as a junior, but by senior year has worked out a lot of the turnover issues from his game, and quarterbacks a team that goes 30-1 in the regular season and spends part of the year ranked #1.

Funny thing is, Jardine was no blue chipper. He wasn't a top NBA prospect. And he wasn't even a great player during his time here at any point during his career. He was just a guy who improved consistently over the course of his career, to the point where he was a pretty good player by the time he was a senior. I guess you could say the same thing about Gbinije if you count him as a 1, but that's part of what we've missed post-Jardine--having lead guards who come and are here for more than a year before bailing. College basketball is so guard driven, it is a significant disadvantage to not have above average point guard play.

I saw perfectly well how bad Kaleb Joseph was last year, but this is the reason while I still didn't like losing him.

Since scoop we have had MCW and Ennis. Both guys better than Scoop.
2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17.
Our PGs have been Michael Gbinjie who freaking saved the program, Kaleb Joseph, and Frank Howard.
Joseph was botched by our program as Creighton snapped him up and Howard can't be consistent enough against good competition.

Why can't our all guard coaching staff find a PG.

I don’t think Kaleb would be any better this year. To me he just played nervous and I don’t think that would have changed. I honestly believe he just couldn’t adapt to playing under JB. I expect him to flourish without the pressure of Syracuse.

I don’t think Kaleb would be any better this year. To me he just played nervous and I don’t think that would have changed. I honestly believe he just couldn’t adapt to playing under JB. I expect him to flourish without the pressure of Syracuse.

Which is crazy when you consider that he was the hand picked guy that the staff went after that season. They turned down Newtwon from Neuman-Goretti [who really wanted to come here] and ended up at Miami. Kaleb was the staff's guy, and they really missed on that evaluation.

Scoop was a really solid guard for us, never understood why he was a permanent resident of the fan bases doghouse outside of the trouble he got in early in his career.

Because he was turnover prone. And because he had a lousy call go against him at midcourt against Marquette in the NCAA tournament.

Because he was turnover prone. And because he had a lousy call go against him at midcourt against Marquette in the NCAA tournament.
True, but I'll never forget the Pitt game where he single handedly (nearly) kept us in the 1st half and competitive at the Zoo when pitt came out guns a blazing and caught the rest of us sleeping.

Which is crazy when you consider that he was the hand picked guy that the staff went after that season. They turned down Newtwon from Neuman-Goretti [who really wanted to come here] and ended up at Miami. Kaleb was the staff's guy, and they really missed on that evaluation.

Everybody missed on Kaleb. The scouting services included. He was a top 50 player.

Kaleb's high light tape was sic. I remember it being Johnny Flynn like. I think a lot of people missed on him.

Everybody missed on Kaleb. The scouting services included. He was a top 50 player.

Kaleb's high light tape was sic. I remember it being Johnny Flynn like. I think a lot of people missed on him.

The funny thing is, I remember those clips and reading assessments from several prominent posters when we were pursuing Kaleb that his handle was Pearl-esque [not calling them out at all for making that observation--it happens], but when Joseph arrived his handle was the worst part of his game. It sounds like the coaches were quite surprised by his capabilities [or lack thereof] when he first arrived on campus.

Too bad--he seemed like a likeable kid. At the end of season banquet the team put on after last year, Boeheim pointed out what a great teammate Joseph was, and what a great attitude he maintained even after getting demoted last year.

Which one of the 3 assistants wanted Joseph the most? JB obviously closed and I do agree with Phat in that JB's tough love killed that kids confidence.

Which one of the 3 assistants wanted Joseph the most? JB obviously closed and I do agree with Phat in that JB's tough love killed that kids confidence.

Hopkins guy.

The funny thing is, I remember a very prominent poster suggesting early on when we were pursuing Kaleb that his handle was Pearl-esque [not calling him out at all for making that observation], but when Joseph arrived his handle was the worst part of his game. It sounds like the coaches were quite surprised by his capabilities [or lack thereof] when he first arrived on campus.

Too bad--he seemed like a likeable kid.

the handle is the part I remember most from the tape to. He had a killer crossover. I'm not sure we ever saw it on the Hill.

It's not like he played at crap HS either, Cushing Academy. He played against good comp. It was just a flat out miss.

Since scoop we have had MCW and Ennis. Both guys better than Scoop.

I wouldn't pick either to run my team over him. Neither had the complete skill set that Scoop had; neither could finish consistently, Carter-Williams couldn't shoot a lick, and Ennis couldn't even run a basic fast break.

I wouldn't pick either to run my team over him. Neither had the complete skill set that Scoop had; neither could finish consistently, Carter-Williams couldn't shoot a lick, and Ennis couldn't even run a basic fast break.
If you offered me 4 years of Scoop or really 1.25 years of MCW I am taking Scoop.
However if it's 4 years of Scoop or 3 years of MCW give me MCW.
He was dominant on defense and on offense he could get to the rim. He may not have shot the hall as well as we would want but he still made shots and was killed in the zone.
MCW was a 6'6 PG at the top of the zone and he did help with rebounding as well.