I've spent way too many years pining for Scoop Jardine | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I've spent way too many years pining for Scoop Jardine

2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17.
Our PGs have been Michael Gbinjie who freaking saved the program, Kaleb Joseph, and Frank Howard.
Joseph was botched by our program as Creighton snapped him up and Howard can't be consistent enough against good competition.

Why can't our all guard coaching staff find a PG.

The focus has been on tall, combo guards instead of pure PG's for far too long. It was a miracle we even were going after Quade, it seems.

Not making a case for Gillon, but how many of his drives with no finishes led to dunks by Lydon? Maybe 4? It helps to have a PG who can draw the opposing center, and leave Lydon with a huge open lane.

The focus has been on tall, combo guards instead of pure PG's for far too long. It was a miracle we even were going after Quade, it seems.

Could not agree more. I know that we go for a profile of athletes for the zone, but if there is one position you need to sacrifice athleticism for hoops IQ / skill, it is point guard. Point guard is so important in college basketball--this point can't be overstated.

Scoop is what makes following college sports great. He came in as an immature freshman, had a rocky year where he messed up off the court and was thrown to the wolves a bit...and he grew into a leader and a really solid college player.

Not making a case for Gillon, but how many of his drives with no finishes led to dunks by Lydon? Maybe 4? It helps to have a PG who can draw the opposing center, and leave Lydon with a huge open lane.

That's been one of the aspects of his play that has been most disappointing to me. He's got the speed / handle / quickness to get into the lane consistently. When he gets there, he hasn't finished well, hasn't drawn contact to get to the line, and hasn't dished to teammates on the baseline often enough for me.

It was a real head scratcher [to me at least] when he admitted in the preseason that he'd never run a structured offense before. Hopefully he can figure things out, because out of he and Howard, it appears that Gillon is better equipped to run the team.

Scoop could always finish and Triche could to for that matter.

this nonsense with Gillon has to go. He's a shoot first PG and sort of a ball hog. drives into traffic and tries to draw contact with obvious terrible results. this crap he probably got away with at his D2 program. he either needs to pass the ball off inside when he gets enveloped or stop and pop. he can't finish inside with the trees and he's not going to get any contact calls because hes a midget.

Agree for the most part but noticed Saturday as the frustration grew that when Gillon starts a drive the Mannequin Challenge kicks in and the other four players freeze and watch. Not sure if there are dump off or kick out opportunities or if Gillon would even recognize them but he obviously doesn't have the stature to finish at the rim against even mid major competition.

That's been one of the aspects of his play that has been most disappointing to me. He's got the speed / handle / quickness to get into the lane consistently. When he gets there, he hasn't finished well, hasn't drawn contact to get to the line, and hasn't dished to teammates on the baseline often enough for me.

It was a real head scratcher [to me at least] when he admitted in the preseason that he'd never run a structured offense before. Hopefully he can figure things out, because out of he and Howard, it appears that Gillon is better equipped to run the team.

The quote about the structured offense surprises me also. He played for Larry Eustachy at Colorado State. I'm not an X and O expert and say what you will about Larry, but I think he's a good enough coach and has had enough success to run some sort of offense.

Yeah Joseph was an enigma. I think the recruitniks would all eat crow over this. His highlights did look great and he had this flashy and electric vibe to his game. I think his competition in H.S. was bad. But, like RF said, his handle disappeared and he just didn't have it between the ears. When you fall down on fast breaks by yourself and botch up 2 on 1's worse than these current guys do then something is really wrong. He could not literally bring the ball up. Still, kudos to him for being a great teammate and I am really curious to see how he does at Creighton. That's a GOOD program and saw something in him.

Watching Scoop in those highlights really makes you miss him. Just the basic stuff he was doing well and he always had great moxie and a clutch part to his game. Stuff we haven't seen at this position for awhile now. Sad.

I'd kill for Scoop at this point
Scoop was not the greatest, but he played on some great teams and you knew he would convert if he got his shot up anywhere near the basket. Being a great finisher is what separates the wheat from the chaff. It's the difference between a legit playmaker and just another athlete who shows flashes. I'm sick of flashes. Great finishers can breathe life into an otherwise anemic halfcourt offense. You only get so many decent opportunities to score and you can't it up.

I try to refrain from criticizing the players. They're amateurs not getting paid for a living. It's the staff's job to identify and bring in players that finish around the hoop.

I wouldn't pick either to run my team over him. Neither had the complete skill set that Scoop had; neither could finish consistently, Carter-Williams couldn't shoot a lick, and Ennis couldn't even run a basic fast break.
everyone forgets that Scoop wasn't as highly regarded while here as he was at the end. Ennis and MCW didn't have jr and sr year's to show what they would have done in those years. They were special as it was. Can you imagine them as sr's?

everyone forgets that Scoop wasn't as highly regarded while here as he was at the end. Ennis and MCW didn't have jr and sr year's to show what they would have done in those years. They were special as it was. Can you imagine them as sr's?
Ennis really feels overhyped. At the end of the day, history says he led a team that crashed and burned to a disappointing finish, and yet nobody was really surprised. He was not a good fit for the type of offense we run, or lack thereof. He would have killed it at Wisconsin.

Yeah Joseph was an enigma. I think the recruitniks would all eat crow over this. His highlights did look great and he had this flashy and electric vibe to his game. I think his competition in H.S. was bad. But, like RF said, his handle disappeared and he just didn't have it between the ears. When you fall down on fast breaks by yourself and botch up 2 on 1's worse than these current guys do then something is really wrong. He could not literally bring the ball up. Still, kudos to him for being a great teammate and I am really curious to see how he does at Creighton. That's a GOOD program and saw something in him.

Watching Scoop in those highlights really makes you miss him. Just the basic stuff he was doing well and he always had great moxie and a clutch part to his game. Stuff we haven't seen at this position for awhile now. Sad.

Joseph played in the NESPAC. The same league Lydon and Thompson came from.

Ennis really feels overhyped. At the end of the day, history says he led a team that crashed and burned to a disappointing finish, and yet nobody was really surprised. He was not a good fit for the type of offense we run, or lack thereof. He would have killed it at Wisconsin.

Ennis was ten times better as a freshman than scoop was as a freshman. Not a comparison.

Scoop grew into a mature leader, a glue guy that held the team together. Every year he learned more about the game. Senior Scoop was an excellent guard.

Ennis's main strength was that he had rare maturity for such a young player, which helped him avoid turning the ball over and make ill advised plays. The problem was that he often did that at the exclusionary expense of pushing the ball or making things happen. He was a fine fit for the type of offense we run, he just needed to gain experience / be coached to not play it so convervatively all the time.

He would have been terrific had he come back for his sophomore season. That was the year that Rak blew up. Imagine having Ennis running that team instead of Kaleb Joseph.

Last edited:
Cushing I didn't think was anything to brag about. TT was with Hurley at St. Anthony's for a bit.

lol We started 25-0 If by crashing and burning you mean we lost at the end of the game against Dayton, fine. The kid was great here.

Which is crazy when you consider that he was the hand picked guy that the staff went after that season. They turned down Newtwon from Neuman-Goretti [who really wanted to come here] and ended up at Miami. Kaleb was the staff's guy, and they really missed on that evaluation.
I wonder if this had any impact on the QG situation. Never felt like the Neumann coaches were on our side.

lol We started 25-0 If by crashing and burning you mean we lost at the end of the game against Dayton, fine. The kid was great here.

You love ignoring the hows. Crashing and burning is definitely extreme wording so I agree with you there.

We made one basket outside of the paint in that game. Overall, ennis was definitely great. Fastbreak not so much, but the composure he had was amazing for his age.

You love ignoring the hows. Crashing and burning is definitely extreme wording so I agree with you there.

We made one basket outside of the paint in that game. Overall, ennis was definitely great. Fastbreak not so much, but the composure he had was amazing for his age.
I'd take his grandma offense every day over this "fast paced" terror were watching now. It's like a game of "how fast can you dribble out of bounds".

I liked Ennis. Great maturity and composure like has been said. I agree a place like Wisconsin would have probably been better suited for him. He isn't a dynamic enough athlete to get off the bench in HOU but I saw him up close at the Cavs-Hou game and he looks really good. Transformed his body. Looks like a legit NBA guard now. More on that NBA game in another post.

Ennis didn't have good enough players with him as well and he could be shut down against good M2M. Hound Cooney and get up on Ennis and we were done. 25-0, lol...poof! Once the book was out on how to defend us we were done.

Agree for the most part but noticed Saturday as the frustration grew that when Gillon starts a drive the Mannequin Challenge kicks in and the other four players freeze and watch. Not sure if there are dump off or kick out opportunities or if Gillon would even recognize them but he obviously doesn't have the stature to finish at the rim against even mid major competition.

I hear a lot of people saying this. I'm not sure how much it has to do with stature. I think some guys can finish and others can't. There are plenty of examples of small guys that were good finishers, Sherm was a prime example of one who came through our program. We also have the example of FH who has the stature, but can't seem to finish anything either.

Cushing I didn't think was anything to brag about. TT was with Hurley at St. Anthony's for a bit.

If we shouldn't be recruiting kids from the NESPAC, we may as well quit. I'm not sure there's a better HS league in the country.