Jake (others feel free): | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jake (others feel free):

Would be a disaster
Depends on what the expectations are for it to be a disaster. Louisville 22-23 or not quite as good as JAB's first 40 years?

I seriously doubt any coach can drive the program to where Louisville is. I don't expect the next coach to win 25+ right out of the gate, but getting an NCAA seed is kind of my low-key expectation. Actually, seeing improvement is my expectation. A losing season would not be completely unexpected.

Last edited:
My question to your question is would the university use the extrension as a reason to move on/not move on at this point? I would think the university potentially pays Jim if he retires either way or convert it into some emeritus title where he is still paid/gets an office/assistant going forward.

JAB deserves whatever golden (orange) parachute the university can provide for him for his time on the hill.
That would be a big issue for the new HC whether in house or external it means JB may look over their shoulders and still exert influence. An external hire may actually see this as a deterrent.

That would be a big issue for the new HC whether in house or external it means JB may look over their shoulders and still exert influence. An external hire may actually see this as a deterrent.
I think most candidates will be be leary enough with JB in Skaneateles…hopefully just for summers.

I think most candidates will be be leary enough with JB in Skaneateles…hopefully just for summers.

Gary Williams, Roy, K all hung around. I would think JB would be put on the fundraising trail at SU, he would be tremendous at it.

Maryland went outside for their replacement and even with a good record, basically, Turgeon couldn't escape Gary's shadow and sweat.

Would Hopkins or Hart be deemed “internal”? Or are we really just looking at Red or GMac?

Curious if Israel is a location Jesse could hold a ‘clinic’ and make a few bucks if he wants to come back
These things are true: 1) Jesse is our best in-game center since Etan; 3) Jesse has graduated college; 4) Jesse will possibly finish the season with the best PER in the ACC, most blocks, best block %, and 2nd most rebounds by a hair; 5) Jesse will get some NBA interest, probably as a undrafted free agent; 6) Jesse is not coming back to college basketball.

I have what might be a really dumb question just to be clear on the language - will the public facing language be that JB is "retiring"? It has to be, correct?

Or will it be something... else?
Might it depend on whether JB wants to follow the script or go scorched earth on his way out?

I don't see a way JB wouldn't have influence over the program post-retirement.
That would be a big issue for the new HC. If he wants to help with fund raising fine but hanging around the MBB program would not be good. Most legends purposely stay away even with an internal hire to give the new HC room to create their own identities. They gave Jim Calhoun an office after he left but he purposely stay away for this reason, Bobby Bowden did the same, when they come back to attend a home game as a spectator they give the new HC a heads up to make sure it's ok.

Curious if Israel is a location Jesse could hold a ‘clinic’ and make a few bucks if he wants to come back
Pretty sure that's what Kentucky did last off-season.

That would be a big issue for the new HC. If he wants to help with fund raising fine but hanging around the MBB program would not be good. Most legends purposely stay away even with an internal hire to give the new HC room to create their own identities. They gave Jim Calhoun an office after he left but he purposely stay away for this reason, Bobby Bowden did the same, when they come back to attend a home game as a spectator they give the new HC a heads up to make sure it's ok.
Just hang a “No loitering that includes retired hall of fame coaches” sign. Takes care of that.

I think the whole fear of “lurking” thing isn’t a big deal. I’m not even sure what people mean by it.

If he’s around the program after he retires it will be to appropriately support it, just like all the former players and coaches that go to games and practices.

I thought I heard Calhoun was sitting in the bleachers for practice and eventually they had to tell him to give Ollie some space, could be wrong on that

Would Hopkins or Hart be deemed “internal”? Or are we really just looking at Red or GMac?
It's pretty interesting... when Nova announced Wright's retirement last year they had a replacement lined up because Wright had given them enough notice. The replacement kept it on the DL because he came from the Wright tree. Could something like this conceivably happened and Hop or Hart for that matter is lined up...

Nah... who are we kidding, that would take foresight and planning. Two things that seem to be completely missing from this whole situation. All I can say is I'm the lead for a team of ~100 people... If I ran my team this way or with the results we've seen over the past few seasons, I'd be fired.

I thought I heard Calhoun was sitting in the bleachers for practice and eventually they had to tell him to give Ollie some space, could be wrong on that

Probably should have stayed in the bleachers then because it went downhill fast after year 1…

It's pretty interesting... when Nova announced Wright's retirement last year they had a replacement lined up because Wright had given them enough notice. The replacement kept it on the DL because he came from the Wright tree. Could something like this conceivably happened and Hop or Hart for that matter is lined up...

Nah... who are we kidding, that would take foresight and planning. Two things that seem to be completely missing from this whole situation. All I can say is I'm the lead for a team of ~100 people... If I ran my team this way or with the results we've seen over the past few seasons, I'd be fired.
We have been a lot more active with California recruits lately, could be a coincidence? Or maybe not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom